*Almost SYN-FREE* home-made soft cheese - in any flavour you like!

Haha! Fabbo! :) I still havent tried my second batch yet, had spicy bean soup and veg curry today neither of which seemed very cheese friendly :rolleyes: Must have another go tomorrow!

ermintrude said:
Haha! Fabbo! :) I still havent tried my second batch yet, had spicy bean soup and veg curry today neither of which seemed very cheese friendly :rolleyes: Must have another go tomorrow!

I'm sure there's time for supper ;)

This looks so yum! Anybody know how it would hold up in a casserole? I might try it in a mac n cheese this week!!!

charleybabes said:
this is a fabby idea..
how many syns would you say it is??.. and what would you have it with .. all id want to do is lather crusty bread in it!!!

The original recipe-on the first page-says 1.5 syns for the whole thing(but that is made with 500g total 2% Greek yog) but someone else-about 2/3 threads above yours, has made it with total 0% yog therefore it's free :)

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/187905-jos-journey-infinity-beyond.html

This looks so yum! Anybody know how it would hold up in a casserole? I might try it in a mac n cheese this week!!!

Personally I dont think it would work in those, its not that kind of cheese - it's not a hard/melty cheese, like I said it's more a goat's cheese/Feta/Boursin texture.

You could sprinkle it on top of a casserole after serving I suppose but if you put it *in* the casserole it would just dissolve, be no different to adding yoghurt to your casserole (as thats all it is - yogurt with the water drained out - so by putting it in a casserole you're basically just putting back all the water you just drained out!)

Its more a salad cheese or a crackers/sandwich cheese really :)

this is a fabby idea..
how many syns would you say it is??.. and what would you have it with .. all id want to do is lather crusty bread in it!!!

Its however many syns are in the yoghurt you use to make it! (and any other ingredients) I used a pot of Total 2% so it was 1.5 like I said in the original post. Other people have made it with Total 0% so it was free.

I think lathering crusty bread in it would kinda defeat the object of it being low-syn/free :rolleyes: :D

Yummo!!! Just had some of my garlic, pepper & lemon zest one! :drool: Almost like real Boursin!! :eek: Think I overdid the garlic a bit though. best not open my mouth for fear of knocking people out... :rolleyes:

I've got a garlic and chive batch in the fridge right now. Thanks Erm :D

I had my 0% one spread on ham with and rolled up for a tasty synod free snack earlier

ermintrude said:
Personally I dont think it would work in those, its not that kind of cheese - it's not a hard/melty cheese, like I said it's more a goat's cheese/Feta/Boursin texture.

You could sprinkle it on top of a casserole after serving I suppose but if you put it *in* the casserole it would just dissolve, be no different to adding yoghurt to your casserole (as thats all it is - yogurt with the water drained out - so by putting it in a casserole you're basically just putting back all the water you just drained out!)

Its more a salad cheese or a crackers/sandwich cheese really :)

I getcha now...will have to give it a go with some crackerbreads or krisprolls then! Can't wait, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Oooooh.... I'm a bit late, but thanks for posting this Ermintrude! It looks amazing. Can't wait to have a go! :D

I have just whipped up a batch now with garlic and pepper and 0% fat Greek - will let you know the results. It tastes delish already!

Well, after 12 hours the consistency is like a proper cream cheese, very impressed. I should've added more salt but otherwise, very, very pleased!

Last edited:
My first attempt is in the fridge, it's with my no fat Easiyo natural yogurt. Can only hope it works. I used chilli flakes and a dash of garlic powder,should have put pepper too,but forgot! X

Yay, I knew I had read this somewhere else. There's a whole page of Easiyo drain cheese in my Easiyo recipe book. Em you would love the Easiyo yogurt maker! I make my own natural yogurt now,so cheap, instead of buying mullers or Greek ;)

It's like flipping Sainsburys back room in my fridge. Yogurt on the go and cheese :)

Whats it like making your own yoghurt? What do you put in it and how many syns does it add up to? I've always wondered about as milk is a lot more syns than low fat (or fat free) yoghurt, so how does that work out? :confused:

Is it better to buy a yoghurt maker or just make it the "natural" way? How much space does it take up/how complicated is it either way?

Sorry for all the questions! :D

No fire away. I bought an Easiyo yogurt maker ( QVC ) mine was eBay £15 with 2 large mix jars and two small lunch jars. My mum has used one for years. I do have some Easiyo skimmers sachets but they £2. They are free syns. You put sachet in mix jar add cold water half way and shake with lid on. Then top up with cold water. Then fill Easiyo flask to line with boing water put jar in. Lid on. Leave overnight take out in morning, stir and put in fridge. But I read up in moneysavingexpert how to make your own.
I don't syn mine as its like eating free 0% yogurt or muller. I use lidl skimmed UHT milk, fill half jar, add 2 tbsp milk powder. And 2 TBSP of my last batch or shop bought 0% naturel yogurt ( this is known as starter ) shake them up. Top up jar with milk. Place in boiling water in flask and leave overnight. Some I strain some whey through a Muslim cloth , but I've found I don't need to do that now or just stir. There's so much you can use the yogurt for, and a whole page of drain cheese in my recipe book. I have only tasted my cheese yet, not eaten any properly, I've made it too strong a taste lol but I'm impressed Thanks x

Attachments

• image-1672976361.jpg
    image-1672976361.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 321
  • image-3875519214.jpg
    image-3875519214.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 270
  • image-3864374788.jpg
    image-3864374788.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 270
I read a recipe recently that uses yogurt cheese to make cheesecake (like quark I suppose), so thats me sorted for chrimbo (and hopefully making it easier to resist the amazing looking toffee cheesecake I bought for my OH...)

:devilangel:

Back