*Almost SYN-FREE* home-made soft cheese - in any flavour you like!

Yummo!!! Just had some of my garlic, pepper & lemon zest one! :drool: Almost like real Boursin!! :eek: Think I overdid the garlic a bit though. best not open my mouth for fear of knocking people out... :rolleyes:

You can't beat a good bit of garlic!! Did you just grate a bit into the yoghurt? Do you think it might benefit from cooking the garlic (either a quick fry with frylight or roasting some cloves) and then putting it in? I'm planning on making this over the next few days and want to do a garlic one so wondered what your thoughts would be having already made it. And don't worry, I'm not worried about smelling so if you think raw would be better, just let me know!! :D

You can't beat a good bit of garlic!! Did you just grate a bit into the yoghurt? Do you think it might benefit from cooking the garlic (either a quick fry with frylight or roasting some cloves) and then putting it in? I'm planning on making this over the next few days and want to do a garlic one so wondered what your thoughts would be having already made it. And don't worry, I'm not worried about smelling so if you think raw would be better, just let me know!! :D

No I just crushed it, 2 cloves I used for 500g. They're pretty strong ones though cos they were the cheapo multipack with the green bit in the middle. You could cook it I guess yeah, maybe even a bit of onion, yum yum! :) I used loads of pepper, 1-2tsp I reckon, and the zest of 1/2 a lemon. Fabbo! Gotta get thinking of a new flavour now :) Quite like the caramelised onion idea... hmmm...

Only just seen this thread. Sounds amazing. Will certainly be having a go at this once my cheap Philli is used up! (Mr T has had it on BOGOF for a few weeks now!).

Denise

Ermintrude, this sounds bloody fabulous! I will be trying this over the weekend. Thanks honey x

I made the garlic one too and it was lovely.

Found this recipe for cheesecake using the yogurt cheese. I haven't tried it myself and you'd have to substitute the sugar for sweetener and syn the flour but by the looks of it, it would be low syn. The flour syns would be 10.5 for the whole cake and it says it serves 10-12 so around 1 syn a slice which isn't bad. No base mind, but might still be nice.
A New York-Style Cheesecake

This recipe makes a dense New York-style cheesecake that is served without a crust.
  • Ingredients:
  • 4 cups well-drained yogurt cheese
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 6 egg whites, or 3 eggs
  • 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tsp. grated fresh lemon peel (zest)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 3 Tbs. sifted cake flour
  • Directions:

• Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray the sides and bottom of a 2-quart souffle dish with nonstick cooking spray.
  • Mix yogurt cheese with sugar, egg whites, lemon juice, lemon peel, vanilla and cake flour until blended.
  • Pour into prepared dish and set into a large pan of hot water.
  • Bake for about an hour and a half or until cake is browned and cracked.
  • Turn off oven and leave cake in oven for 1 hour longer.
  • Remove cheesecake from water bath and allow to cool in dish on a wire rack for 1 hour.
  • Place serving platter over dish and invert. Chill until ready to serve. Serves 10-12.

I made the garlic version with raw garlic and it was lush. We had it over 5 bean chilli instead of our usual humous and it was gorgeous. Will definitely make again :)

Just this sec made some of this with fresh garlic, crushed chillies and a little pepper.

Thanks Erm!!!

Just to let you know, I made the cheesecake recipe but divided it by three (so 1 egg, 1 tbsp of flour etc) and put them in a muffin pan to make 3 mini cheesecakes. I used sweetener instead of the sugar and found it a little sweet but apart from that it was lush! I used just under 1 tbsp of flour which was the only synnable ingredient, and it worked out as 1 syn per mini cheesecake. I thought it was a really nice treat for 1 syn!
I made it using yoghurt cheese from fat free natural yoghurt but it would probably be really creamy if made from fat free greek yoghurt.

My mum used to use old pairs of tights when we made stuff when I was little :D Anything that'll hold the yoghurt in but let the water out will be fine.

Wow this has got to be my best SW recipe find! Thank you so much!
I made mine with garlic and dried mixed herbs and it tastes just like Boursin (only with a stronger garlic flavour as I went a bit OTT with the fresh garlic!) and is fab spread on crackers.

Back