Alpaca's stream of consciousness - IS BACK ON THE WAGON!

Well Lainey... Under normal circumstances I'd be only too happy to oblige but I've bluddy got thrush from the antibiotics so feeling sorry for myself lol... Hardly slept last couple of nights... Have tea tree oil in the bath and just hope to god I manage to sleep tonight... Of course I forgot to take my acidophilus - have stopped taking my vits since going to Canada and haven't got around to re-instating them ... So completely my fault ... Oh well... Never too old to learn! Lol cxx

Oh it never rains, does it. (except literally, when it always rains, although I hear we might get summer at some point in the next few weeks). Feel better and fingers crossed for a good nights sleep.

Took tab on Sunday and it just seems to be getting worse... But I'm sure it will get easier soon.. Not had a bout for 25 yrs lol

Last edited:
Morning all...

I'm 0.5lbs up this morning but that's my fault for looking so I'll ignore until the weekend.

I've gone back to Scrummie's really helpful (I think) link to a website for calculating how many cals you need for weightloss. Now I know it's not a tablet handed to me personally by Moses but it seems to make sense.

It says given my age and how long I've been low carbing, my cals for NOT losing weight should be 1,782. And, my cals for losing 1.5lbs a week should be 1,032.

Not sure I can physically get that low, particularly when fat is so calorific, but I need to give it a go to see if it makes any difference.

Obviously, when this revolting thrush episode goes as I'm so miserable with it. But perhaps next week is THE WEEK - to do an experiment.

Anyway, I'm not gaining back up to what I was at the beginning of June, so it's all good. In fact, if I ate the volume I was eating on the low carb I would maintain and very VERY slowly go down - to the tune of a pound or two a month - which isn't bad in the long run. I'll be well happy to maintain on that in the future.

I've adjusted my goal weight to 11st. Although it doesn't put me in the normal BMI range, I don't realistically think I have a cat in hell's chance of getting to 10st! I don't think I'm going to be alive long enough at the rate it's going! lol

B - 2 eggs omlette with cheese made with butter, coffee and unsweetened soya

L - will be chicken breast, chinese leaf and mayo with coffee and unsweetened soya

Morning sweetie

So sorry to hear about the thrush, can you get some bio yoghurt down you? That always helped me when I had it (like you, not had a bout for years).

I really like your post, that strategy sounds like it is giving you a clear way forward :)

FYI the ad at the bottom of your diary currently says "Alpacas for sale" :D

I'd love to have one... Lol

Alpaca said:
I'd love to have one... Lol

Me too!!!!! They are lush.....I'd call him Archie!!!

Hope you foof gets better soon!!!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Morning Di, hope your thrush clears up soon - I know the misery of that, for sure :(

Can I ask what the calculator gives you for a 1lb loss per week? It's just that 1000 cals is awfully low IMO, and rings alarm bells for me. I once spent 6 months eating 1000 cals a day, and I was a mess by the end of it (visible signs were that my skin and nails were awful, and significant hair loss). I lost 4 stone but gave myself nutrient-deficiency problems as it's actually not easy to get all the nutrition your body needs at that level of food intake. (I'm not trying to scare you, by the way, just saying that there could be issues with it)

What are you averaging at the moment? If you've dropped from about 1800, I wouldn't go lower than 1300 for now and just give it some time to see how things shake out. You may be on the verge of a downward shift for all you know. That seems to be happening to me. For the past 9 days I've been averaging about 1350 cals, and for the first week nothing much happened; now, suddenly, I'm a couple of pounds down just like that.

But it's entirely up to you, of course. If you do decide to go for 1000 cals, I wouldn't do it for long - maybe a couple of months - then take some time to slowly raise your cals back to maintenance so that you reset your metabolism and give your body a bit of a break.

You've been doing so well for so long I'd hate for you to do something drastic because things aren't moving as fast as you'd like, especially as you've had illness issues lately. Cutting calories by that much is harsh on the body and I'd say that right now, making sure you get great nourishment should be the priority.

Anyway, not trying to lecture you hon, just throwing some thoughts out there xx

Hi Scrummie

Knowing me, I probably calculated it wrong... but, I used this that you posted last week, I think:

From Scrummie:
I picked up this calculator from another forum Calculate Your Ideal Nutrient Intake for Weight Loss or Maintenance which might be useful for you. I ran my stats through it aiming for a weekly loss of 1.5lbs and it told me to consume 1300 calories per day, so I suspect your target of 1300-1500 would be about right. Have a play with it and see what you get! :)

Ok...what activity factor did you give yourself? I put in "light exercise" because I feel that I'm doing enough to qualify for that. If I put in "sedentary" it gives me 1027 cals, and there ain't no way I need to eat that little to lose, as I think I'm currently demonstrating!

If you didn't put in "light exercise" before, try it. I'm betting you do enough to qualify for it as well.

Hiya Di, sorry to hear about your "foof" - love that word Jo ;)
Hope it sorts itself out quickly, it is a miserable thing to have xxx

Hello Brennie love... it's worst than I ever imagined it would be!! But, I'm fine at the moment, it's at night that I become a crazed woman!

Scrummie... will re-calibrate (god I love using scientific words! lol)

Re-calibration carried out and I can have the grand total of 1,292 cals. which is probably right - feels so much harder than a year ago thought to keep at that level. My appetite has truly grown to proportions of a killer whale........... on heat!

Anyway, once that old song bird (the thrush if you weren't following me) has flown the old nest I'm going to have to see if that makes a difference!

All I can say is that before my hols to Canada I was 14.12-ish, that was 12th June. Now I'm 14.5.5-ish so in 2 months there's been a loss of 7lbs - roughly 3.5lbs a month.

I think I did well on holiday, but I truly did a collossal amount of walking in intense heat of 35/38 degrees each day.

And I ate naked burgers (at least 4 or 5 in total) at pretty much every service station we stopped at and had 2 ice creams and at least 2 Starbucks frappaccinos! And also some airline food going and coming. So, it was either me being naughty with the foods and giving my body a shock or the huge amount of exercise.

Ho hum... let's see how this month pans out... x

Last edited:
Hello Brennie love... it's worst than I ever imagined it would be!! But, I'm fine at the moment, it's at night that I become a crazed woman!

Scrummie... will re-calibrate (god I love using scientific words! lol)

Re-calibration carried out and I can have the grand total of 1,292 cals. which is probably right - feels so much harder than a year ago thought to keep at that level. My appetite has truly grown to proportions of a killer whale........... on heat!

Anyway, once that old song bird (the thrush if you weren't following me) has flown the old nest I'm going to have to see if that makes a difference!

All I can say is that before my hols to Canada I was 14.12-ish, that was 12th June. Now I'm 14.5.5-ish so in 2 months there's been a loss of 7lbs - roughly 3.5lbs a month.

I think I did well on holiday, but I truly did a collossal amount of walking in intense heat of 35/38 degrees each day.

And I ate naked burgers (at least 4 or 5 in total) at pretty much every service station we stopped at and had 2 ice creams and at least 2 Starbucks frappaccinos! And also some airline food going and coming. So, it was either me being naughty with the foods and giving my body a shock or the huge amount of exercise.

Ho hum... let's see how this month pans out... x

:confused:

That isn't 2 months - it's 5 weeks. So if you've lost 7lbs in that time, you're going at the rate of almost 1.5lbs a week, and I'd say there's not a lot wrong with that. I'd happily take that as I've only lost 5.5lbs in the same time.

In which case definitely don't drop down to 1000 cals - you are losing, so you don't need to. Going that low is a last resort in my book.

You're probably right that the little shocks and the exercise/heat have played a part, but there's no reason you can't give your system the occasional jolt now and then (without needing to go to Canada for it :p). You can probably find ways of upping your activity too even if it's just things like getting off the bus one stop too soon. It all helps!

So I'd say go with 1300-1400 as a minimum and see how that works. The more you can eat and still lose, the better! :) xx

Cals = 1388
Carbs = 16

Hope I sleep tonight - today was too hard core!

D - tin tuna, iceberg , cucumber, mayo, lemon juice, Parmesan, Parma ham

Off for my bath... Xx

Back