Alpaca's stream of consciousness - IS BACK ON THE WAGON!

Dietkitty said:
It's official........men make you fat :D

Without a doubt!

I love you guys! You make me smile and make Atkins so much easier than it would be if I was all on my own!

I know I went berserk yesterday - all legal - but I just can't consume that volume and expect to get away without a gain...

Would be nice to at least lose the 4lbs I just gained before I get on the plane - but I'm looking forward to doing up the seatbelt and having energy to do things when I get there... My gay friends are SO excited about me staying with them and they can't wait to see my new shape! Bless them xx

Morning, Di...pity about that wretched 4lbs :(

I think it might be time to take stock and possibly change the game a bit, but obviously not until after your holiday - holidays are game-changers anyway since we're not in our normal environment eating our normal food. You never know, if you're lucky the holiday might kick-start you into losing again simply because your patterns of eating were forced to change for a while.

However, if nothing changes when you're back, and you do think there might be a connection between alcohol and this stall, that's the place I would start tbh. (I'm going to be known as Mrs. Killjoy round here the way I'm going, lol :p) I'd also do a calorie-count for a week - as accurate as you can make it - to see where you're at exactly. You may be eating more than you think, you may be eating less, but it would be useful to know.

You've been on this diet a long time now, and a lot of things can happen. Are the foods you're eating now the same as those you were eating to start with? As you know, I looked at what I was eating recently and, being honest, there was a bunch of stuff that had crept in that probably shouldn't have. Have a look back to what you were eating right at the beginning and see if there are any clues.

There may well be other factors at work here, too. I read an article linked in the General Discussion forum about how our hormones apparently start to stage a backlash when we've lost weight, and one thing they can do is make us hungrier so that we eat more. The writer didn't offer any solutions to this :rolleyes:, but I guess forewarned is forearmed: if you know that this might be happening to you, you can make a conscious effort to combat it.

Anyway, you can worry about all this when you get back, and in the meantime have a lovely, carefree time in Toronto! :D

As always Scrumbles very measured and thoughtful advice! Thank you ... I'll eat sensibly while I'm away as I find not eating too many carbs relatively easy... And will re-visit it in detail on my return!

Thank you! This forum ROCKS!! Xxx

Yes it does, have a brilliant time in Toronto Di, can't wait to hear all about it when I get back from mine xxxx

Brennie!!! Sending you lots of hugs... Have a fab holibob! Xxxxx

Di, I just remembered a blog post I read about stalling on Atkins. I picked it up on the Atkins Community forum, so if you ever go there, you may be aware of it:

Kippers Workout: Why do Stalls Happen

It's a long read, but I found it fascinating. The writer isn't a medic or expert, just an ordinary dieter like the rest of us, but his experiences and conclusions are interesting nonetheless.

Thank you SO much Scrum... Will definitely have a read!

I was also reading a bit on the Dukan site and he says that if you've been in and out of dieting for a long time the body builds up a resistance ... Which of course makes sense.

But don't forget that people like Jim can have carby weeks, then go on induction and lose the extra pounds, over and over.

Maybe it's the bacon and salami you have quite a bit which is making you retain water? And the tortillas?

I'm cutting out salami bacon cheese cream tortillas and coffee although not had salami for 2 weeks and only had no more than 6 tortillas since Easter... I do have bacon at least 3 times a week which I'll have to stop.

Also...I do think that as I eat out at weekends I must be having hidden sugars... I try really hard not to but chefs seem to add sugar for no apparent reason to lots of things ... I'll go back to what I was on this time last year and keep a closer eye on what I'm eating as I'm sure I've gotten lax ...

I'll get it sorted .... I won't be beaten! Lol. Xxx

LOL if you take all that out, what will be left? :eek::D

I agree completely on the eating out thing, I'm always having to interrogate them about fish/oyster sauce in things.

I say, go back to basics hun - eggs for brekkie, and protein and salad for lunch and dins and see how you get on? xxx

I think the chefs run for the hills when they see me coming now - I forget how high maintenance I've become lol

Yes you're right Susie... Eggs for brekkie protein and veg / salad for lunch and dindins and just lots of water and some herbal tea and maybe one decaf coffee a day

It can be done lol xx

Will miss you while I am away, look forward to seeing less of you when I get back xxx (you know what I mean lol) xxx

Oh Brennie... I think another trip up north is to be scheduled over the next few months!

Have a fab holibob! Missing you xxx

Would love to!! Something to look forward to then ... Xx :)

After reading Scrum's attachment I've just calculated my BMR... Basal Metabolic Rate... Mine is 1905 cals to maintain my weight as it is.. The article recommends reducing cals by 500 which will be enough to lose weight without going into starvation mode... So I should aim for 1400 per day or thereabouts.

I might start factoring that into MFP as well just so I've got all bases covered... Today I ate 1650 cals (maybe a bit more) and 20g of carbs... Will try for a bit less on both fronts tomorrow ... As the article suggests.. Drop carbs down to 15g and my cals down to 1400 and see what happens!! If I internally combust then you'll know I can't do maths! Ha ha ;-)

Alpaca said:
I'm cutting out salami bacon cheese cream tortillas and coffee although not had salami for 2 weeks and only had no more than 6 tortillas since Easter... I do have bacon at least 3 times a week which I'll have to stop.

Also...I do think that as I eat out at weekends I must be having hidden sugars... I try really hard not to but chefs seem to add sugar for no apparent reason to lots of things ... I'll go back to what I was on this time last year and keep a closer eye on what I'm eating as I'm sure I've gotten lax ...

I'll get it sorted .... I won't be beaten! Lol. Xxx

Onwards and downwards Di xx

Will you post all your food hun? I'm no good with figures so seeing what you eat would be really helpful to see if that would work for me too :)

Back