Alpaca's stream of consciousness - IS BACK ON THE WAGON!

Will start logging cals as well as that's my problem... Volume control just doesn't exist with me... But will wait til after I've finished the meds xxx

Oddly I went low on cals and started gaining. Between 1200 and 1600 per day seems to be where I find my level - with the odd day higher or lower.

I've crept up from about 1200 last year to 1500/1600 these days ... It can increase to 1800... That must be too much and means I stall ... Which will be fine when I've lost the weight but hopeless at the moment ... I'll track for a while and see what happens... It's very much tied into Scrummie's theory

Oh... And bought more coconut oil today... Was lush!

Evening, Di! Good to see you're on the mend now - definitely get yourself properly healthy before you worry about the scales again.

I think tracking's a good idea once you're better, though what one actually does with the information I'm not so sure. I've had results from eating lower calories, I've had results from eating lots of calories and I've also stayed the same doing both of those things - pick the bones out of that, lol!

I think you just have to keep mixing it up until you find what works again whether it be eating more, eating less, eating different foods etc. As to whether there are any solutions to the hormonal hunger problems, I don't think any were offered in that article, unfortunately. When we get to goal I suppose we'll simply have to commit to being vigilant for a long, long time to make sure things aren't a-creeping upwards...:(

Glad your starting to feel better pretty lady!!! xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Ah yes, I read that article! I was saying to myself yes that's right! - all the way thru....

Hope you're feeling good this morning. :)

Last edited:
Hello Di. I'm so glad you are feeling better. So lovely to have you back xxx

Mmm interesting - although I hated the last line - "For most people putting on weight is a one way street"....true or not?

Had to laugh, this was one of the other stories in the Mail - from the "Whatever works for you" stable...

'I've lost 7st thanks to marathon sex sessions!': World's heaviest women has found a new way to slim down with husband who says her weight gain makes her MORE attractive | Mail Online

ladyfelsham said:
Mmm interesting - although I hated the last line - "For most people putting on weight is a one way street"....true or not?

I think that if you're prone to putting on weight, you are prone to putting on weight. There is no questioning the science that people who gain into the higher levels of obesity (ie: not just a couple of stone of baby weight or middle aged spread) are wired differently. Its easier for us to gain and harder for us to lose - sugar in particular opens up the triggers for weight gain in many people.

We can lose weight to a healthy bmi - weight gain is very definitely not a one way street. But -- we are still wired differently -- the reason diets fail is that people lose weight, feel normal and eat 'normally'. I put that in quotes because normal to someone wired to gain weight may be different to a naturally thin person and it is very likely to be even more different having lost weight with a body confused by all it's empty fat cells and making us hungrier.

Gain is not a one way street.

Constant vigilance is. If you've been obese then you're going to have to monitor your weight and the way you eat for the rest of your life or your body will take the opportunity to pile it back on.

It doesn't mean you can never eat normally once at target, just that you have to monitor carefully and periods of normal eating are likely to come between periods of restricted eating in order to maintain weight.

Haha sadly not for me. Although booze with meds mixer would make for an interesting night...

I completely agree ML... Having been so heavy for so long I have an abundance of those fat holding cells and gain far quicker and easier than someone who has been normal size.

I guess it's the same for any addict ... They have to be vigilant for the rest of their life!

D - chicken breast , avocado and salad

S - unsweetened soya with cocoa powder vanilla and one canderel tab

Had 2 glasses of wine today! Tut tut!

Oh and to add to my giant post there:

You'll notice in that article it discusses long term restriction of -calories- as being what ultimately causes cravings that people give in to.

I suspect that restricting carbs instead (only slightly restricting cals) is really the way to go. Primarily because a low carb diet reduces the amount of leptin produced - that's the hormone that induces cravings - and also because sugar and white carbs are the biggest non hormonal craving triggers.

I think primal/paleo type eating is probably for me long term, once I get to a weight I am relatively comfortable with. Non ketogenic - between 50 and 100g of carbs daily, but still cutting out pure sugars and grains so the body remains in a fat burning rather than sugar burning state, thus keeping cravings at bay. It allows a wider range of veg, some dark choc, etc, and as it's not ketogenic you don't gain a ton of water through one meal off plan.

So interesting and hadn't realised how technical and scientific it all is!

But bottom line is that I'm basically f*cked for life! Lol ... As long as I know then I'll have no expectations of it eventually getting easier! :)

Back