Am i counting calories right? Help!!

Discussion in 'Calorie Counting' started by peagirl989, 26 April 2011 Social URL.

1. peagirl989

peagirl989 Full Member

Start Weight:
    9st12lb
    Current Weight:
    9st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st8lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11lb(7.97%)
    Hey all,

After my mess up with reading a supernoodles packet yesterday Ive been trying really hard today to check and check again, but i think ive messed up again.

I cooked 200g pasta to go in something, but when it was cooked it looked like LOADS!!!! (it wasnt just for me btw :))

Anyway, on the packet it says 100g is 355kcal and each 75g serving contains 265kcal.

It then says that 75g pasta dry weighs 170g when cooked.

So, am i meant to be counting those 200g as 710kcal or something much much worse???

It just seems so hard if i have to weigh it AFTER its cooked??

:( x

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Samprand

Samprand WILL do it!

Start Weight:
    19st7lb
    Current Weight:
    17st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st12lb(9.52%)
    Diet:
    Exante TS
    i've always thought that a food's 'dry weight' would still apply when its been cooked as long as no oil etc has been added, like with pasta it only gets boiled and water has no calories so it should be the same calories even though its heavier after being cooked. and besides, who the hell easts pasta before its been cooked? lol i might be wrong though :)

4. chocaslim

chocaslim adores posting

Start Weight:
    10st4.0lb
    Current Weight:
    9st11.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st6.5lb(4.51%)
    Diet:
    arrrggghhh
    yes i think thats correct i go by the dry weight as well.

5. lindseydodd408

lindseydodd408 Gold Member

Start Weight:
    19st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    5st9lb(29.7%)
    Diet:
    Myfitnesspal/low carb
    Yup I go by dry weight, you're only boiling pasta in water so it's not going to increase the cals just the weight of the pasta.

Not sure about these supernoodle things. I don't eat them so I've never looked at the packet. My advice would be if it's not immediately obvious what the nutrition content is then put it down, chances are the product is really not that healthy but the manufacturer is trying to make it look so by having a confusing label... NAUGHTY!!!

x

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.