Am i counting calories right? Help!!

peagirl989

Hey all,

After my mess up with reading a supernoodles packet yesterday Ive been trying really hard today to check and check again, but i think ive messed up again.

I cooked 200g pasta to go in something, but when it was cooked it looked like LOADS!!!! (it wasnt just for me btw :))

Anyway, on the packet it says 100g is 355kcal and each 75g serving contains 265kcal.

It then says that 75g pasta dry weighs 170g when cooked.

So, am i meant to be counting those 200g as 710kcal or something much much worse???

It just seems so hard if i have to weigh it AFTER its cooked??

:( x

i've always thought that a food's 'dry weight' would still apply when its been cooked as long as no oil etc has been added, like with pasta it only gets boiled and water has no calories so it should be the same calories even though its heavier after being cooked. and besides, who the hell easts pasta before its been cooked? lol i might be wrong though :)

Yup I go by dry weight, you're only boiling pasta in water so it's not going to increase the cals just the weight of the pasta.

Not sure about these supernoodle things. I don't eat them so I've never looked at the packet. My advice would be if it's not immediately obvious what the nutrition content is then put it down, chances are the product is really not that healthy but the manufacturer is trying to make it look so by having a confusing label... NAUGHTY!!!

x

Back