Am I doing something wrong?

emster

I had my second ever WI last night (Thurs) and I was feeling really confident about everything and it turns out i've only lost half a pound :cry:I've been going to the gym every other day and doing 20 min on the treadmill and 20 min on the cross trainer and ive kept to the Fast Start 18pt limit and still I didnt loose even a pound :confused: I know I may seem a bit rash about this but it was very disheartening to have my leader say "oh you must use your tracker to stay within those points!" even though i've lived by the rule of "if you bite it, write it" since i joined lol Anyone got any thoughts as to why this may of happened or has it happened to you?

yup happens to me everytime i join so i give up, then i joined a clinic and the same thing was happening, i was losing weight VERY slow compare to everyone else. Then i got measured and i had lost 9 inches on my waist but it wasnt showing up on the scales so dont give up, its coming off somewhere ;)

Thanks guys :eek: Ive only been going on the tradmill/crosstrainer because someone told me that they help you shed the weight before you start to gain muscle lol all i really need to do is get rid of my big belly! :mad: everything else is fine except for that! :rolleyes: lol i think my body's just a little slower than everyone elses

well cardio does get rid of fat but it also builds muscle too :) u cant do any exercise with out it building some muscle

well cardio does get rid of fat but it also builds muscle too :) u cant do any exercise with out it building some muscle

Actually, that's not true. You are unlikely to build muscle on a calorie deficit and WW would need to be calorie reduced to work.

no it is true, if ur using ur muscles ie exercise, you're building on them too, you cant not , its impossible to "just burn fat" because to burn fat you need muscle.

When you exercise and have a calorie deficit, you're using fat to give you the energy to do the exercise , thus you burn fat by doing exercise, but the energy released from the fat you're burning is used as an energy source for the muscles doing the exercise, thus they are being used and ergo you're building on them. Not as much as weight training would but you're still increasing you're muscle mass as you're muscles are engaged and using energy.

When you exercise and have a calorie deficit, you're using fat to give you the energy to do the exercise , thus you burn fat by doing exercise, but the energy released from the fat you're burning is used as an energy source for the muscles doing the exercise, thus they are being used and ergo you're building on them. Not as much as weight training would but you're still increasing you're muscle mass as you're muscles are engaged and using energy.

:D No, I'm afraid not, but I like the theory :D

In fact, when you lose fat, you usually lose some lean along the way. It can't be helped and happens with every diet.

There's certain circumstances when a person will gain a little muscle whilst in a calorie deficit with an initial metabolic training stress response, but it's so unlikely that I doubt it's happened in this case.

Since eating at a deficit and exercising both put you in a catabolic state (breaking down), actually the opposite is true. You can't do exercise without damaging some muscle. However, if you eat properly and rest you put yourself in an anabolic state (building up) again and *that* is when you build muscle.

Gaining muscle, just like gaining fat, requires a calorie excess. It's unlikely that you would get that on WW - and certainly not while doing cardio on WW. If you want to build, you have to resist ;)

It takes an awful lot of dedicated hard work just to build a pound of muscle - for a woman, with the right nutrition and specific training, you'd be looking at a month or two if you were lucky.

So Emster, stick with the gym and don't worry - drink plenty of water before, during and after your workout (make sure that water retention isn't what's hindering you on the scales!) and if you really want to torch some fat, then throw in a bit of resistance exercise along with your cardio!:)

Anyone got any thoughts as to why this may of happened or has it happened to you?

Hello :)
I have been experiencing a similar thing recently, trying very hard - tracking points, plenty of exercise, but same as you, no significant weight loss. BUT - thanks to the support here I've stuck with it and after the past 2 weeks of STS, I've started to lose again. (WI today - and I'd lost a little bit) Any loss is fantastic - it obviously takes time for our bodies to make changes and you will see results if you stick with it.

Well done on getting yourself so motivated and doing lots of exercise - try not to get too downhearted and don't give up too soon. You're doing a great job and you'll see your hard work pay off soon, big fingers crossed for the next WI!:cross:

Back