Am i doing something wrong???..

rattymum

Hi everyone, I've been on SW for just over 3 weeks and I've lost 2lbs. I'm a bit disappointed and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. I'm following EE and I write down what I have to eat everyday. I don't want to give up on this as I've read so many inspiring stories in the SW mag and seen lots of good weight losses on the forum, so I know it can work. Please help!! :confused:

Hi Rattymum, first of all although it might not be the loss you were hoping for, you have lost 2lb so well done for that!

Secondly, do you have a food diary that we could take a look at, or has your consultant looked at your diary? Very often there is a little something we think is free but isn't or under estimating syns and things like that.

Do you weigh and measure everything that needs to be? (syns, HEX?)

Are you eating your 1/3rd superfree with every meal?

Hoe many syns are you having? going over, or under syns can slow losses.

Stick with it, SW does work but sometimes just take a bit of getting used to x

Thanks Clareel
I have started to keep a food diary as of 26 May, but I don't attend a class and I WI at home every Wed morning

Yesterday this is what i had:-
Tea with ss milk (0.5syn for milk as used HEX A for a cafe latte later in day)
banana, grapes and kiwi with mullerlight yoghurt
Superspeed soup
3 crispbreads - HEX B
marmite
3 LCL triangles - 3 syns
28g parma ham - 0.5 syns
coffee with ss milk
grapes
cafe latte - HEX A
SW turkey meatballs with spaghetti
apple
another tea and coffee later on (1 syn)

I realise that perhaps i'm not eating enough syns, or perhaps i'm using my HEX's wrong.

Today iv'e had 2 coffees with milk, a banana with mullerlight for breakfast as it was a bit of a rush this morning before work. Had 3 crispbreads with 2 LCL triangles at 10:30 and i've for fat free cottage cheese, 1 hb egg, beetroot and salad for lunch and mullerlight and an apple for later. I drink water through the day too. I've for SW chilli and veg with rice for tea tonight.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks xx

Superspeed soup
3 crispbreads - HEX B which crispbreads are you having & are you sure it's 3 for hexb
marmite - should this be syned (I can't remember)
3 LCL triangles - 3 syns
28g parma ham - 0.5 syns - is parma ham syned, I don't eat it so not too sure
coffee with ss milk
grapes
cafe latte - HEX A - I thought latte's were syned
apple

I've put a few comments above, but my other thoughts are, do you measure your milk in the morning & take from there for the day or are you guessing how much you have each day. If the syns have been worked out correctly you've only had 4.5 syns, you can have between 5-15 per day. But I do think the latte (unless you made it yourself) is syned.

Looks great - but perhaps you need some superfree foods in the evening meal - or are they already in there???

Keep going - it may just be that your body will have a huge loss next week - also, if you were dieting before you joined SW on a different plan it can take a little while for your metabolism to adjust (for example if you were on Cambridge or a VLCD!) x

Superspeed soup
3 crispbreads - HEX B which crispbreads are you having & are you sure it's 3 for hexb
marmite - should this be syned (I can't remember)
3 LCL triangles - 3 syns
28g parma ham - 0.5 syns - is parma ham syned, I don't eat it so not too sure
coffee with ss milk
grapes
cafe latte - HEX A - I thought latte's were syned
apple

I've put a few comments above, but my other thoughts are, do you measure your milk in the morning & take from there for the day or are you guessing how much you have each day. If the syns have been worked out correctly you've only had 4.5 syns, you can have between 5-15 per day. But I do think the latte (unless you made it yourself) is syned.

Thanks for your reply. In response to the things you have put in blue:-

i checked the crispbreads, but can't remember now what make they are as not at home, but they are 3 for HEX B

Marmite is free

Parma ham is synned - 0.5 for 28g as it shows in FO book

The only thing i'm probably nore sure about is the latte to be honest as it was a costa coffee one. I thought that if I was the count the latte as a HEX, I could count the dashes of milk I have in tea and coffee as syns, if that makes sense? Sorry i'm a bit new to this. Perhaps I should've synned the latte instead of assuming it would be ok as a HEX.

xx

There's some debate about whether a skinny latte or cappucino can be counted as hex a.
The way i see it you are allowed x amount of milk as hex a. as there is nothing except coffee added to the milk to make your latte. The milk is merely steamed and to the best of my knowledge steam is syn free lol.

On those days when I do go to Costa I count my cappucino as hex a.

I'm sure someone will be along to put me right.

I syned my latte yesterday because I wasn't sure how much milk there would be in it and it was 5 syns just for a tall skinny latte. Even the small cups in coffee shop chains are huge aren't they (I have felt ridiculous before now ordering a large coffee in costa and ending up with one of those mugs with two handles!)
however...even if you counted syns for your latte you wouldn't be over your syns for the day! I think you will see a bigger loss next week x

I tend to have a small latte when i go to costa, which i would count as a Hex (i'm a newbie so not sure), as it's just milk and coffee - i don't have sugar. i think they use semi milk in the one i go to? i might count it as syns next time though as i don't know if it's partly the cause of the problem with me not losing? Not that i go to costa all the time, but it's good to know what's best to do in future (count as syns or Hex)?

x

rattymum said:
I tend to have a small latte when i go to costa, which i would count as a Hex (i'm a newbie so not sure), as it's just milk and coffee - i don't have sugar. i think they use semi milk in the one i go to? i might count it as syns next time though as i don't know if it's partly the cause of the problem with me not losing? Not that i go to costa all the time, but it's good to know what's best to do in future (count as syns or Hex)?

x

The skinny latte will be your hex a not the normal one so yes you would need to ask them what milk they use and syn it if need be

lovetosew said:
I syned my latte yesterday because I wasn't sure how much milk there would be in it and it was 5 syns just for a tall skinny latte. Even the small cups in coffee shop chains are huge aren't they (I have felt ridiculous before now ordering a large coffee in costa and ending up with one of those mugs with two handles!)
however...even if you counted syns for your latte you wouldn't be over your syns for the day! I think you will see a bigger loss next week x

If you go to star bucks a tall skinny drink can be classes as hex a as it's 350ml of skimmed milk..

Lattes are syn free therefore

It looks to me like you aren't eating enough, to be honest. This diet really isn't about crispbreads and cottage cheese, and if it was, most of us (except the weird ones who LIKE crispbreads and cottage cheese) wouldn't stick to it. ;)

How hungry do you get on a day like the one you describe? Do you feel like you're on a diet

Oh and as for lattes, I never syn mine. I have them now and again and count the milk as a hexA. It's that kind of thing that makes me feel like I'm NOT on a diet, which helps me stick to SW.

I'm no SW expert but it looks to me like you may not be eating enough (as weird as that sounds!) Are you exercising as well?

That was my first thought as well. I'd be starving!!

Its counter intutive I know - you think you're on a diet, so you accept that you should feel hungry, and that you 'can't' have certain things.

SW is not a diet in the usual sense.You should eat til you are full - if you are still hungry - eat some more - as long as its free and superfree!! Your body needs fuel to keep going otherwise your metabolism grinds to a halt. i always lose more on the weeks i've eaten more.

Drink Plenty of water

Use your syns - syn does not mean bad for you - its short for synergy. There is some weird sciencey thing that means the combination of superfree foods, free foods, healthy extras and syns means you lose weight. Cutting out or down one of them will result in you not losing weight as much or at all.

Go and have a look at Shrimpy's or Ellebears food diaries and then you will believe me :)

Thanks again for your replies. I don't eat cottage cheese and crispbreads all the time!! LOL! I just posted one of my day's menus to see where i was going wrong and i obviously am somewhere!! I think I just need to get used to SW and i'm probably going about things in the wrong way. Tried so many diets recently and not got anywhere. I really don't want to give up on SW as i think its great and i'm getting a lot of support on here.
Think i perhaps need to look at other people's diaries like Kingleds suggested and see where i could be going wrong.

x

I dont think you are going wrong - it maybe is just taking a while for your body to adjust - is it your time of the month at all? this sometimes affects weight loss as you may bloat a little more about that time.

Feel free to come and have a look in my food diary - i do Red days mainly, and some EE too! I aint stopped scoffing today i have the severe munchies - but i have only had 4 syns so far today and have eaten the following!

RED DAY

2 choccie weetabix(HEB and 2 syns) milk (HEA)
Banana (large)
Fruit pack (400g) Grapes and Melon
Leftover Chilli con Carne from last night (2 syns cos used a packet mix)
Mullerlight Orange
WW yoghurt Pineapple flavour
3 cans of diet coke and 1.5 litres of NAS squash!

Got Turkey steaks, Jacket Potato (HEB) and loads of green veggies for tea tonight - and then probably have an Options choc drink using milk (HEA and 2 syns) and some blueberries and natural yoghurt for afters!

So my syns are quite low today (6 planned) but give me the opportunity later to have something synned (maybe some sweetcorn or a sauce/gravy with my meat tonight)

Hope that helps - and best of luck - xxx

Back