am i over doing it?

TC19

Hi guys

I have recently decided to up my exercise to shift my weight as I really dont want to be in a position where this time next year am still going on about loosing weight - my schedule is as follows:

Sunday - 45mins Spin Class followed by 45mins Zumba

Monday - rest

Tuesday - 1hr Spin

Wednesday - rest

Thursday - 45min spin followed by 45min Aquafit

Friday/Saturday - rest

Am I trying to pack too much in or would you say am on track?

You're obviously going to do a lot of exercising, but as long as you take every second day off I think you should be fine. People have reported their losses slowing down when they started exercising. This is probably due to water retention, rather than building muscle, and will settle down as you progress. In actuality it is quite difficult to build muscle - hence bodybuilders drinking loads of high cal protein shakes and even taking steroids. Good luck with it - you're gonna feel amazing!

Hi there

I started off by doing lots on the wii and walking around the golf course with hubby, then 4 weeks ago I bit the bullet and joined the gym on camp:faint2: -I now go on Mon/Wed/Fri and do 90 mins at a time and Im loving it :D,
I accepted that my weight loss may slow down - but that I would hopefully tone up and lose inches instead and in the first 3 weeks I lost 28cm from all over :bliss:but best of all is how good it makes me feel -so after all that waffle -I would say that what you are doing sounds great....
keep up the brilliant work :clap:

If you've not exercised in a long while it does seem a lot to be suddenly doing. But otherwise it looks fine, you're having rest days which is brill.

The only addition to my work out is the aquafit and zumba as I've been spinning since the beginning of the year and love it but wanted to change things up a bit. Also i've heard that your body gets used to doing
the exercise so wanted to change things up a bit.

Why does your weight loss slow down the more exercise you do? Is this just the lbs that slow down or the inches or both.... am intrigued!

For the last few weeks i've been putting on and losing the same 2/3lbs, its annoying and just want to get past 14st 9lbs!!

It's only three days a week, so in that sense, no you're not overdoing it. Not sure what the Zumba and Aquafit involve or what intensity they are operated at, but doing these after a hard spin session might not be very easy if they're hard sessions themselves.
It IS possible to overtrain, which could result in fatigue and possibly injury.
However, if these activities are pretty low-intensity, then you should be fine.

The only addition to my work out is the aquafit and zumba as I've been spinning since the beginning of the year and love it but wanted to change things up a bit. Also i've heard that your body gets used to doing
the exercise so wanted to change things up a bit.

Why does your weight loss slow down the more exercise you do? Is this just the lbs that slow down or the inches or both.... am intrigued!

For the last few weeks i've been putting on and losing the same 2/3lbs, its annoying and just want to get past 14st 9lbs!!

That doesn't seem too much, especially since you've been spinnng for a while. I go to the gym 3 - 5 times a week and sometimes do a spin followed by a pump or a swim.

Have you tried body pump? I found that really good for toning and weight loss.

I'm also stuck in a similar weight area to you (14.6/14.4) - not lost anything really (been up and down) for 4 weeks. Until then it was all going so well.

The only thing I have to add is that you are doing all cardio and may want to think about swapping one session for some weight training

The only thing I have to add is that you are doing all cardio and may want to think about swapping one session for some weight training

^^ This

hmm interesting about changing one of my cardio to weights as I was told that I should get near to my target weight then start something like body pump/weight training, this is so my fat don't turn to muscle and I still end up large as a result...any thoughts?

Fat does not turn to muscle -they are two different things - you burn calories to lose fat and muscle helps you do that.

A pound of muscle burns more calories an hour than a pound of fat not just when exercising but over the course of the day during normal activity. muscle is also a denser tissue than fat and so it takes up less space and you lose inches. It helps you tone up and you are better to do this as you go along than wait until you get to target as it will help avoid loose skin

Some people worry about building muscle making them big but you would need to do some really intensive weight training over a lengthy period of time before any muscle could potentially negatively effect weight loss. Also women just dont generally have the hormonal make up to build a lot of muscle

hmm interesting about changing one of my cardio to weights as I was told that I should get near to my target weight then start something like body pump/weight training, this is so my fat don't turn to muscle and I still end up large as a result...any thoughts?

All I can say it that Body Pump has really helped tone me. My shoulders and neck area all look and feel firmer for starters so I can wear a strapless dress and not look flabby despite still being over 14 stone.

It really helps take the weight off the hips and thighs too.

I cant recomend it enough. Its more fun than just standing there doing weights on your own and you can add weights each week as you progress. Its a great all round body workout and the marketing blurb says you burn extra calories for 72 hours after the class (something to do with the muscle firming?).

It is great for all levels. I started off on the smallest weights and have now built up on quite a few of the exercies. Our instructor reckons the ideal regime is 2 x body pump, 2 x spin and 1 x pilates or yoga each week.

Can you tell I love it? :D

thanks DSMC, thats great info - I'll have to see if I can change up my schedule to include...may have to drop a spin class though (love spin)! congrats on the weightloss too

You can also include cardio in a weights routine by doing it in a circuit and having little rest between sets. This will keep your heart rate up and improve your stamina and overall fitness as well as toning up.

Back