Angela's diary - Back again :)

Shrinking girl

Hi everyone :)

I've been reading Starlight's diary on and off for a couple of weeks and have been inspired to hop back on the WW wagon again.

At my heaviest I was 20 st 5 and I managed to get down to 15st 13 (for the second time) back in January. And then--as I always seem to do at that point--I self-sabotaged and shot back up to 18st 2. Eeek!

It doesn't help--but nor does it excuse me--that I'm taking corticosteroids, so not only do I have a mammoth appetite at times, I also pile on weight even when being relatively good.

This time round I'm combining WW with hypnosis/NLP via Marisa Peer's book (You can be Thin). I doubt that I'll be following all her recommendations--I have no problem eating dairy or wheat--but her writing about combating emotional eating is really striking a chord with me. Turning food back into food rather than an emotional crutch is exactly what I need.

So far all is going well. I even found myself turning down a roast dinner yesterday at the inlaws as I didn't want to spend all my remaining points for the day on it, plus they were eating at 3pm so I'd have been ravenous by 9pm. Instead I had a bowl of veggies and a banana, then cooked up some lovely spicy pasta when we got home.

Anyway, waffle aside... I started back last week and lost a whopping 5lbs!

Well done on that 5lb loss!

Welcome to the WW gang, well done on 5lbs :)

You deserve a medal if youve been reading my diary ;)

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

Well, yesterday was a good day. I even managed to give my wee boy his tea without nicking any of this leftover toast. A minor miracle since (a) I'm a bread fiend and (b) it smelt awesome :)

Today is a bit of a challenge. My parents are visiting and I'm stressed out about driving to the airport to pick them up and not looking forward to seeing them at all. Hopefully I'll not succumb to comfort eating...

5lbs is a great loss!

Welcome to the site.

Bread....I miss bread.... But tried differnet things like tortilla wraps and pitta bread as substitues.

Don't succumb...your doing great!

x

Thanks, DayDreamer!

Well, I got through my parents visit without diving headlong into bucketloads of food afterwards. Annoyingly, when I weighed in on Friday I'd put back on two pounds which I'm putting down to water-retention as my period has just started.

I'm not discouraged though... I know I did everything right and even dragged myself round the park for a walk! It's just one of those things. Annoying though.

This week should be interesting. There'll be a lot of late dinners as Himself is on a course all week and even though it's fairly local, he'll be home a bit later than usual. I'm planning Baked Orzo with Fragrant Lamb, Carrot, coriander and feta risotto, and a nice hot chilli con carne. I picked up some gorgeous dried porcini yesterday at an Italian deli, so there may well be a mushroom risotto looming on the horizon!

I'm still not overly snacky, which I'm putting down to Marisa Peer's book. When I have felt stressed/miserable/whatever and headed into the kitchen to gorge, I've been able to stop myself. I'm not really sure how, but I'm really pleased with myself. Hopefully she's got a section on exercise... I'm keenly aware that I need to, but I loathe it!

Hi Shrinking Girl

Sounds like you are very motivated, which is great. Your food plans sound yummy can I come for dinner?

Well done on your 5 pound loss last week.

Keep up the good work.

xx

DecemberBride--you're more than welcome to nip round for dinner :) The chilli (bulked out with loads of veggies) smells surprisigly good, and I've just chucked some butternut squash in the oven as Himself reckons he's really, really hungry :)

Joanne--thanks (and I'm sure your meals aren't boring)! I'm a huge foodie (hence me needing to diet), so I've been working hard on reducing the fat in our usual favourites but still keeping them just as tasty.

Marie--I'm sure your meals aren't boring, either! You can actually do a half-decent risotto in the microwave (or indeed the oven), which cuts out all the stirring....

It's so weird to be thought of as motivated, butr I guess I am! I'd like to be visibly slimmer for my little boy's birthday party in October, which is definitely a good motivator.

Scooby--I can heartily recommend the book. I don't agree with her views on dairy and wheat, but everything else makes good sense.

Had a sneaky weigh this morning and I'm back to 17st11, which bodes well for my proper weigh-in on Friday!

I stumbled across a thread on Callanetics last night which sent me racing off to Amazon to order a copy of Callanetics Countdown. My Chirpractor is always nagging me to go to pilates or yoga classes and I just don't feel comfortable in exercise classes. However, I used to do Callanetics years ago and had good results, so hopefully this will improve my core muscles and also start toning me up and then the chiropractor will stop nagging me :)

In other news, I've been saving seeds from butternut squash and will be planting a tray of them later this week. We eat so much of it that I thought it would be worth attempting to grow. Will need to dig a bed or talk Himself into making me a raised bed. I'm slowly filling the garden with edibles :D So far we've got an established plum tree, a brand new family apple tree (which has just put out its first leaves), bay, flat-leaf parsley and garlic. It's really nice to be able to pick your own fruit etc.

Hi ShrinkingGirl
Well done so far - it seems like everything is going really well for you which is really good news :)
I was wondering whether you've finished Marisa Peer's book yet? How have you found the exercises she gives you to do?
Daisy x

Hi ShrinkingGirl
Well done so far - it seems like everything is going really well for you which is really good news :)
I was wondering whether you've finished Marisa Peer's book yet? How have you found the exercises she gives you to do?
Daisy x

I must admit that I haven't set pen to paper and actually written out any of the exercises. I've skimmed the whole book but only read half of it properly. Some have been quite thought provoking, for example "the cost of being overweight." Not just more expensive clothes, but risk of heart attacks, stroke, diabetes, and so on.

I tend to dip into it just before bed or first thing in the morning. It's also really good as a pep-talk if you feel yourself slipping.

Have you bought a copy yet?

Hi again,
If you like that kind of book, have you read one called 'Body Clutter?'
Its by the same people who run the website 'Flylady' if you've heard of it.
It's very 'american'(no offense intended) but has some good points about how we got overweight in the first place and the kinds of emotional clutter that we carry and how that adds to our body clutter.
It has exercises to do( mind ones, not body!)
Anyway enough waffling...how you doing today?
L x

I must admit that I haven't set pen to paper and actually written out any of the exercises. I've skimmed the whole book but only read half of it properly. Some have been quite thought provoking, for example "the cost of being overweight." Not just more expensive clothes, but risk of heart attacks, stroke, diabetes, and so on.

I tend to dip into it just before bed or first thing in the morning. It's also really good as a pep-talk if you feel yourself slipping.

Have you bought a copy yet?

I have bought it and definately agree with you, a lot of what she says really makes you think and re-evaluate how you act around food. In fact i got totally in to it - highlighting sections, making notes, roping in various family members to help me with some of the more physical exercises!
I've actually found it surprisingly helpful seeing as i was quite sceptical to begin with. I started a blog which you might want to look at? I don't know, i find it so strange that reading a book is having any effect at all on me - just goes to show how suggestable we are i suppose!
Good luck & best wishes:)

Hi again,
If you like that kind of book, have you read one called 'Body Clutter?'
Its by the same people who run the website 'Flylady' if you've heard of it.

I've heard of it, but I never got on very well with Flylady's happy-clappy style, so never bothered to check-out the book. I'll see if there are any snippets on the website, though!

well done on your weight loss your doin greatxx

Thanks, Paula!!

daisyinthedust said:
I have bought it and definately agree with you, a lot of what she says really makes you think and re-evaluate how you act around food.

I think that's the biggest change with me. I've been able to walk past some gorgeous cakes today--even though I was hungry due to lack of breakfast--because I knew they weren't the right thing for me to eat. Long may this continue!

*~*
I've had a great--if very tiring--day. We went to visit a friend in Reading, so I've driven about 140 miles today which is surprisingly tiring. My arms are killing me too!

Diet is still on track, although I do need to drink plenty of fluids tonight. I'm especially looking forward to dinner--carrot, feta and coriander risotto tonight :)

Back