Consolidation Anjuschka's journey through Conso (closed)

Anja - Yes, we've had Abel & Cole pies in the past - very nice indeed. It is (or certainly was a few months ago) still possible to buy good pies in the supermarket. The Higgidy, Pie Minister and Charlie Bigham ones were excellent last time I tried them.

I agree with you about the lack of salt. What really annoys me, though, is that in order to compensate, they're adding enormous amounts of pepper instead. I absolutely hate pepper (it actually gives me little ulcers on my tongue) and so cannot eat them anymore. As far as I'm concerned, it's easy enough for people who like pepper to add it themselves, but those of us who hate it can't remove it once it's been added by the manufacturers.

Thankfully, I do make a good pie - even though I say so myself! ;-) I take particular pride in my steak and stout pies and my chicken, ham and mushroom pies. Delicious!

Do you have any good pie recipes that you can recommend, Anja? You seem to be an excellent cook and I'm always very happy to learn how to make new dishes.

Jo - Sadly, that does not surprise me in the least. I really have no faith whatsoever in largescale food production. I hate to think what noxious substances they've fed to us over the years. Where possible, I prefer to cook from scratch and use local or organic ingredients (not always possible on Dukan, unfortunately).

We'll be buying eggs tomorrow - making sure to drive the car carefully so we don't run over the hens as they potter about the farmyard where the shop is located. No factory contamination there! ;-)

Jo - thanks, no that one was from quite a while before, was sitting in the Freezer for ages (2 for 1 offer or some such thing).

DD - sorry I have no pie recipes to share, it's not in my 'genes' as I'm German ;) I have only ever, very occasionally, made Apple / Apple&Blackberry pie, and my crumbles are definitely better. Thanks for reminding me about the Higgidy Pies, I have been eyeing them up in the past...
Yes pepper and also chilli (that's where I have problems), especially in Pizza sauces... At least I can make a reasonable (non-authentic I'm sure) pizza from scratch :D, when I can be bothered....

Hi,

quick update before we start a new week:

yesterday 'Gala' meal and some extras:

B: Dukan Pancake with quark and apple
S: oatbran muffins
L: 1 crumpet with cheese, tomato, coleslaw, yoghurt
Afternoon: a lebkuchen, a couple of chocolates
D: Gala: German Bratwurst, mushrooms, mashed potato, swede (steamed). Dessert: home made Apple and blackberry turnover, with a bit of whipped cream. Yum but heavy on the stomach ;-)
Much later: small glass of Gluehwein, piece of stollen cake.

Sunday back to normal PV conso:

B: Oatbran Granola with yoghurt, a small portion of fish& egg bake (left over)
S: a blood orange yum yum!
L: Bread and cheese, soup made with beef, turnips, clear broth (and it was delicious!). A bit of cloeslaw. A milk ice lolly (home made)
S: half a chocolate biscuit
D: Stuffed courgettes (turkey mince), tomato sauce, swede. Yoghurt.
Later: 1 chocolate

So yet again I find it hard to reign in the greed around a Gala Meal, but today I was better.

I have been experimenting with Oatbran - made some 'Granola' that's turned out quite well, and properly baked my microwave oatbran muffin recipe, that came out quite good too. Will update recipe section when I get the chance.

How do you make the granola, Anja? Might be a nice change (or addition since we'll have an extra tbs of bran soon:D).

You're brave (and virtuous for not eating more) having Christmas goodies around, ours have all been eaten by children/given away!

Yes, I went a bit overboard with my last gala meal, Anja. It's so very tempting. As you also found, though, it can be heavy on the stomach. Hopefully, that will help to keep us from going too gala-crazy. :)

As always, your menus sound so delicious!

Anja just looking at the Bread recipe in the bread maker and are the qualities Tablespoons or teaspoons? I am going to make it tomorrow.

Thanks everyone!

Laura: yes there are still boxes of stuff in the cupboards :-( as the 1-week invasion turned into only 2ppl for 3 days. I did try to feed them as much as I could.... Now I seem to be (nearly, kids vary from day to day) the only one here that likes anything with dried fruit, some cake wandered in the freezer, but I draw the line at binning things (for now). I also slightly resent DH sitting there scoffing most of a box of chocolates...

Bren: Tablespoons (TB) for the oatbran etc, teaspoon of yeast (ts)

jaqys: mhmm YES that's what my brain said too ;-)

Going well food-wise so far:

B: Yoghurt & granola, Pear
S: (post-swimming) Fromage Frais
L: (mixed bag, leftovers!) Smoked Mackerel, cooked beetroot, Bread and chilli cheddar. Fat free / sugar free custard (home made)
D: (carb meal): Chilli Con Carne with brown rice. Satsuma

Hope you're having a good Monday!

Thanks Anja.

Yoghurt and granola sounds yum. Love reading your menus, even if they are off limits! Must say it's inspirational knowing that life is out there! Lol

So back at work Tuesday - phew, remove me from those temptations at home! Yesterday afternoon, added a small blackberry scone to the intake - DD2 has done more baking ;-)

So today I have factored the scone in properly as 'bread and cheese':

B: OB Porridge, cinnamon quark, orange juice
S: Satsuma
L: Smoked mackerel, roast beef and coleslaw. Yoghurt
S: Small Blackberry scone (when the kids some home and have their all-important after-school snack)
D (Gala, swapped with tomorrow): Fish cake, baked potato, peas. Dessert to be confirmed. Maybe a mini Magnum ice-cream.

theoretically I have now reached 'Stabilisation' at least as far numbers go. However this will not mean an instant switch to a different diet, and I have a lot more musings about Stab to share when I get the time, I wonder Laura if we should start a joint Stab diary? Or 'leading up to stab' diary. Saves reading time for Jo :)

OOOOooo and the rest of us. Please start a joint one. I would love to see how both of you vary in choice and result.

Bren
X

So back at work Tuesday - phew, remove me from those temptations at home! Yesterday afternoon, added a small blackberry scone to the intake - DD2 has done more baking ;-)

So today I have factored the scone in properly as 'bread and cheese':

B: OB Porridge, cinnamon quark, orange juice
S: Satsuma
L: Smoked mackerel, roast beef and coleslaw. Yoghurt
S: Small Blackberry scone (when the kids some home and have their all-important after-school snack)
D (Gala, swapped with tomorrow): Fish cake, baked potato, peas. Dessert to be confirmed. Maybe a mini Magnum ice-cream.

theoretically I have now reached 'Stabilisation' at least as far numbers go. However this will not mean an instant switch to a different diet, and I have a lot more musings about Stab to share when I get the time, I wonder Laura if we should start a joint Stab diary? Or 'leading up to stab' diary. Saves reading time for Jo :)

Great idea, Anja! Will let you start and join in with my ramblings as and when. Am not yet at phase IV (should officially get there a week tomorrow), will depend how the weigh-in goes this and next week and for the first month of stab, I'll be doing gradual build-ups - unlimited fruit, then adding in some sugar instead of sweetner, etc.

I'm really looking forward to hearing how you two trail-blazers manage on Stab and how you get it to work for you. I'll be taking notes for when my time eventually comes in a few months!

Anja - Please could you possibly post that blackberry scone recipe? I know it's temptation, but I am drooling just thinking of it! If I make any, I promise to save them for gala days and be sensible - honest! :)

Me too - a joint diary is a fab idea!

I'm really looking forward to hearing how you two trail-blazers manage on Stab and how you get it to work for you. I'll be taking notes for when my time eventually comes in a few months!

ohh thanks - **blush**!
Will we get it to work is the question!

Anja - Please could you possibly post that blackberry scone recipe? I know it's temptation, but I am drooling just thinking of it! If I make any, I promise to save them for gala days and be sensible - honest! :)
It's very very simple - make some scones and add some blackberries... Well it's from the kiddie's book again and also on the CBeebies Web site:

BBC - CBeebies - I Can Cook Blackberry Bites

I made it just like that - the blackberries came from the freezer and used directly frozen, dusted with flour and added to the made dough rather than the dry mix. We got 8 small ones, but baking time was longer than indicated. Had no buttermilk either so used milk with 2ts of lemon juice added.

Last night's Gala dessert turned into Glühwein and a slice of Stollen cake, yum :eek:

So, back to PV conso today:

B: pancake with apple & cottage cheese, muffin
S: muffins
L: Cheese & tomato sandwich, roast turkey with coleslaw, yoghurt
S: satsuma
D: chicken stir fry, diet custard pudding (home made)

I am getting very skilled at slicing my bread thinly so I managed a proper 2-slice sandwich today ;)

And I am really into coleslaw - I have added some red cabbage to it this time, makes a fun colour and is very healthy too (it's supposed to be a 'superfood', but don't ask me to explain!)

And I wonder whether there really is something that happens when you have passed your allotted time on Conso: I was feeling very full after my normal evening carb meal on Monday, without over-doing it really, and yesterday I only ate half my lunch - so packed less today and am feeling full again. Very odd, maybe it's all in the mind!! But certainly helps with temptation snacking.

Thanks so much for the recipe, Anja. Simple recipes quite often turn out to be some of the best. Now I just have to find a grown-up to help me with it! ;-)

Yes, it is nice to have a "proper" sandwich. Thankfully, I've had plenty of practice with bread cutting (helps if you have a really good knife) and the small-sized loaves I'm making are perfect for getting two thin slices.

As for the coleslaw, I make it every week now and absolutely love it.

How wonderful, too, about the not feeling hungry. I must admit that I am experiencing something similar - don't seem to want to eat quite as much as I used to. Long may it last!

Hello,

my turn to post my fussy Thursday menu (that's what DH calls it!)

B: Oatbran Granola and yoghurt
S: Coffee
L: Beef and Egg soup, cottage cheese and tuna, FF jelly
S: yoghurt
D: Prawn omelette (my trusty Thursday friend), cinnamon yoghurt.

As I said elsewhere, I bought a carton of pasteurised Egg whites yesterday, as an experiment really but they also work out cheaper than normal free range eggs and I can freeze it in portions, to defrost for extra-strict Thursdays as I tend to OD on eggs a bit. Thankfully my egg consumption the rest of the week has gone down now, replaced by more Veg....

Back