Another tattoo thread - how much?

Maximus

Gold Member
A mate of mine has his win business, but i haven't been in touch with him for years. He always offered a freebie or cheapie but i never took him up on it.

One of the young'uns at work got a particularly colourful one done but I was shocked to hear he paid £800 for it! :eek: even mates rates for me would be what I consider a waste of money.

Is that right or typical? - what is the cost of smaller ones such as a small animal, flower, badge (footy team etc.)? I understand some of the works of art that cover the arm and back etc. are done in stages as people can afford them.

Are they really so expensive these days? - or were they always expensive as i thought they weren't:confused:

What did you pay for yours?

There's no need for these fanciful notions, just because you're on holiday young man!!! Check with mum first... I'm sure you need parental permission!!

As for a badge... well I wouldn't get the Jags done just yet!!!

There's no need for these fanciful notions, just because you're on holiday young man!!! Check with mum first... I'm sure you need parental permission!!

As for a badge... well I wouldn't get the Jags done just yet!!!

Just another example of how mumsie counts for nothing these days !!!!:D

The tattoo.....hmmmm....now this one would be acceptable

images

I guess it all depends on how good the artist is! I think to get one from Kat Von D is a minimum of $1,000. The guy I go to has a minimum charge of £30, and the one down my side has cost me £150 so far, and still got another bit to do when I feel brave (or skinny) enough!
I guess if its something you really really like, its more of an investment, as its not like its going anywhere! Well, maybe a bit further south, but you know what I mean :D

Dunno how much of a help I'm going to be here, since we deal in euros... but I got one starting on my foot and going half way to my knee, it's my partner's name on the foot, with swirls, leading into a flower, with leaves and two butterflies. That cost me 150 euro.

This year for my birthday I got it extended. So I added another flower, a tiger lily, and another butterfly, Hoping to extend again around Xmas. Another 150 lol

No, they never used to be expensive. It's as they have become fashionable that they have increased in price.

I got a black tribal piece with a few roses going from my shoulder down to my elbow about 15/18 years ago. The tattooist was very reluctant to do it as he said it was a really big tattoo for a woman and I'd regret it! Imagine one saying that now!!! That cost me £48. I dread to think what it would cost me now.

Basically there are no fixed prices, because tattooists are self-employed and set their own rates. However, it can be reasonably assumed that you get what you pay for. Multiple colours add to the price, the size of it obviously dictates how much ink is needed. Small ones can be pretty cheap, I think I paid £30 for my butterfly but then an extra £5 coz I had three small hearts added to the design.

Price varies a LOT. All of my tattoos are different sizes and prices, some of which are quite shocking now that I think of them.

My first was my own design on my lower back. It is my name, with lots of swirls and stars, in black ink, and is a pretty decent size costing £30.

My second was the word 'Dad' in fancy black writing on my left rib. This is only about the size of a matchbox and cost me £40.

My third, and most expensive tattoo is a vine with flowers and a butterfly on my right foot/leg. The tattoo starts in the middle of my foot, and ends about 1/3rd of the way between my ankle and knee. This tattoo is all in colour and cost £110.

My fourth tattoo was the words "Family Always ♥" on my hip, not very big at all, and it cost me £40. Quite shocking really.

And finally, my most recent tattoo was the biggest 'bargain' of the lot. It is the biggest of all of my tattoos, and is a Hummingbird covering most of my left thigh. I paid just £40 for this, and I'd say it is probably the best tattoo out of all of them :eek:

It completely depends on where you go to be tattooed, where on your body you are tattooed (some places charge more for hands, neck, etc), and what exactly you want tattooed. You can never really estimate what the price would be without speaking to the artist xx

No, they never used to be expensive. It's as they have become fashionable that they have increased in price.

I got a black tribal piece with a few roses going from my shoulder down to my elbow about 15/18 years ago. The tattooist was very reluctant to do it as he said it was a really big tattoo for a woman and I'd regret it! Imagine one saying that now!!! That cost me £48. I dread to think what it would cost me now.

I suspected this Sassia - as I said my mate is a tattooist of 30 years standing, I know of inflation etc but you're correct even allowing for inflation, the trent of the tat has had an effect on prices.

I'll know better when I have a chat with him.:cool:

Steve

Let us know what it costs. Be interesting to find out.

Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

OMG that's expensive!!!!

My Aunt lives in London and runs a salon there. I knew it was expensive to live there, but had no idea how much~!

Mine were all £30 to £40. Obviously you already know what they are and where!

my tattooist charges £50.00 per hour but always finishes what he starts so if he over runs he doesn't up the cost. My dragon carp (see pix on my thread) was between 9-10 hrs work over 4 sittings, he charged me mate rates so I ended up paying about half the going rate, also as I help him out with his print work he normally trades my time for his.

£70/£80 per hour is standard in London these days. My arm worked out about £1400 in the end, but as the tattooist said - my arm has more area to tattoo than a normal sized persons back!
Not got round to starting the other arm yet!

Back