Anyone bought prescription glasses online?

big bear

A bear on a mission!
My glasses are from specsavers but my son broke them & they can't be fixed. The lenses won't fit in any of the frames they have so I now need to get a totally new pair of glasses.

The problem is my last ones were £300 they were basic frames but it cost the money to make the lenses thin (not sure what this is called) My left eye is -5.5 & my right -5.

I don't have £300 to get new ones but I saw a sight on line that I can get what I want for £84.

I just wondered has anyone got their eyes tested then bought online or would you advise against this method?

Any comments/suggestions greatly received.

That is very reassuring as the price difference makes it an appealing option.

I think I might take a look.

I've used glasses direct for years now, had 4 pairs of glasses from them, never had any problems and their customer service is excellent (I only sent them half my NHS, then couldn't find the other bit, they still gave them to me with the discount).

There was a report in the papers years ago which discovered that the average cost of making a pair of glasses was £8 - which then get sold on for a much much higher cost.

There was a programme on T.V. exposing the scandle of the high prices of specs not that long ago.

My other half used Glasses Direct for the first time this year and was very impressed. He says he'll def do it again as the service and quality was, if anything, better than he'd ever recieved at the highstreet opticians (obviously, still have to have regular eye tests at local optician though).

Back