Anyone eating more than 1200 calories???

Does anyone use my fitness pal to track their calories? I like to look at peoples diaries to see how everyone uses their calories and how they're spread through the day. But the few diaries on here people seem to only have 1200 cals :eek: don't think I could live on that at the minute

Quite a few of us are on MFP, if you see a little link below someone's username then they're on it :)

And you're right, there are alot of 1200 cal diaries unfortunately!

Hey Adelle, I have set a limit for myself of 1400 calories per day and am using mfp. I personally just find 1200 a bit hard to stick to if am out for the evening with the girls or whatever and for me I decided to up my calories slightly to try and ensure that I actually stick to this. What kind of calorie limit are you on? How are you finding it all? I find it hard to get into the habit of weighing and measuring everything but I suppose nothing worth having is ever easy :)

Ooh didn't notice the MFP symbol, thanks!

Hi Sarah :) I'm on 1755 (ha a bit precise!) It does seem very high compared to everyone else's though. I've just started week 2 so I'm just going to see how it goes and gradually lower it) its hard to keep it much lower as I do like my snacks!

I lost 1lb though last week so hoping its working. MFP calculated 1200 cals...so ignored it and worked out my own :p

How are you finding it all?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Hey Adell, I think 1755 cals sounds good, you'll still have a daily calorie deficit and i think it's better to have a realistic cal limit that you can stick to rather than being too restrictive and falling off the wagon (which has happened to me before). Also, like the idea of gradually reducing the cals- that sounds good. I too love my snacks so I totally get it! My biggest downfall is staying within cal limits at the weekend so am going to really try this weekend.

1200 is hard! I always start off at that because it's what MFP say, but i fail miserably! So someone said about eating at your BMR which for me is 1640 (i don't really understand it all to be honest) and that goes down as you lose weight and you lower it accordingly.
I did much better on the higher cals and stuck to it easily, well except the last couple of weeks as hubby has been off work and i don't think i've eaten at home once :eek: so tomorrow will be back on track again once he's back at work.
Good luck, i think you've gone for a decent amount that won't leave you hungry, i'm totally the same with snacks, mine usually come to more than my meals but i'm a grazer! x

It really does make you realise how many calories you eat when you're not counting. I must have been eating loads!

Pixie - I worked mine out by working out BMR (calories your body needs at rest) then you do a calculation that works out TDEE which is the calories needed to maintain your weight, then you reduce that by 15-20%. As you lose weight you need to drop your calories to keep losing weight.

I don't think im going to do too well this week, I had a bit if a chocolate binge over easter! :(.

Bunny, well done on your 2lb loss :)

Quite a few of us are on MFP, if you see a little link below someone's username then they're on it :)

And you're right, there are alot of 1200 cal diaries unfortunately!

Why unfortunately? It is easy to up it by 1 or 200 cals by having more fruit or veg or even chocolate and wine if you want it.
I thought it would be hard to live on 1200 but after a week found it is not a problem and I don't feel hungry - it is just a question of picking food that is filling and satisfying filling and not just snack foods.

Pixie - I worked mine out by working out BMR (calories your body needs at rest) then you do a calculation that works out TDEE which is the calories needed to maintain your weight, then you reduce that by 15-20%. As you lose weight you need to drop your calories to keep losing weight.

I never did any of that as I didn't get it, but you are meant to :)
We shall see next week if it works lol
Starting tomorrow, I've been flitting between things and as a result I'm the same as I was when I started.
When I lost it the first time I used a website called Spark People, which is fab but American so hard to track food etc, they used to give you a range rather than a set number which I thought was great (I find if I have cals left I eat them even if I'm not hungry when I have a set limit) which was between 1200-1550.
I did stick to 1200 90% of the time and would have one day a week when I would have the 1550 (usually saved for eating out) but this time round 1200 is proving difficult, I guess the motivation has gone to be so strict with myself (it was for my wedding)
You'll do great :) good luck :)

Why unfortunately? It is easy to up it by 1 or 200 cals by having more fruit or veg or even chocolate and wine if you want it.
I thought it would be hard to live on 1200 but after a week found it is not a problem and I don't feel hungry - it is just a question of picking food that is filling and satisfying filling and not just snack foods.

Unfortunately because people think they need to eat that amount to lose weight. When in reality the best solution long term is to eat as much as you can for as long as you can (with an appropriate deficit).
1200 isn't the most appropriate number for most.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MiniMins.com mobile app

1200 cals to lose weight then up it to maintain - my BMR is 1280 so not many to up it by.

1200 cals to lose weight then up it to maintain - my BMR is 1280 so not many to up it by.

BMR is the number of calories you need to stay alive if you were in a coma.

It's TDEE that determines how many calories you should eat per day.

I also said it wasn't appropriate for MOST people - at 5"3 and so close to your goal, it could very well be appropriate for you - it is however, and never will be, appropriate for a 5"10, 19stone woman - which is what I see on a regular basis.

Yeah the swap is going good. I find I'm actually eating more calorie counting and I was sick of having fruit as a snack so shaking it up a bit. Still trying to stick to low fat and sw principles. Lost 2lb this week so it's working.:)

My TDEE is 2200 cal and my BMR IS 1570. Try and not go above my BMR cals though and do lots of exercises. I'm new on here and not sure how everything works. I'm using my fitness pal but don't have any friends :-(

My TDEE is 2200 cal and my BMR IS 1570. Try and not go above my BMR cals though and do lots of exercises. I'm new on here and not sure how everything works. I'm using my fitness pal but don't have any friends :-(

You should always eat ABOVE your BMR. Eat at 1700 calories per day which creates a 500 calorie a day deficit.

Xxavia, well done losing 2lb and Im doing same trying to take what I learned at sw. Try to have either milk or cheese etc not loads of both like I did before, i just have loads more flexibility with cc.

I agree with stackhead though, you need to eat above your bmr as that's the min your body needs to keep functioning at rest. I worked out tdee and then reduced it by 15%, im new to this too though so will have to see how I do. No point doing yourself out of calories that could be spent on chocolate :p

Stackhead said:
BMR is the number of calories you need to stay alive if you were in a coma.

It's TDEE that determines how many calories you should eat per day.

I also said it wasn't appropriate for MOST people - at 5"3 and so close to your goal, it could very well be appropriate for you - it is however, and never will be, appropriate for a 5"10, 19stone woman - which is what I see on a regular basis.

Yes, that's right, look at BMR as a minimum, not the level to aim for. :) xx

Hi
Just looking for some calorie advice?
I'm sick of Sw now and am about to start calorie counting using mfp.
I'm 5'2 and 12st 10.
It says I need to be having 1200 cals a day. I've tried this before and been hungry all the time. Could I have more than that?
Also, is there a way to wipe off everything on mfp for a complete new start ?
Thanks x

prettykins said:
Hi
Just looking for some calorie advice?
I'm sick of Sw now and am about to start calorie counting using mfp.
I'm 5'2 and 12st 10.
It says I need to be having 1200 cals a day. I've tried this before and been hungry all the time. Could I have more than that?
Also, is there a way to wipe off everything on mfp for a complete new start ?
Thanks x

Hi! I've generally ignored what MFP tells me for calories, lol. Start off on a higher level and just see how you go, much better that than too little, feel hungry and give up. Say around 1,600? :) xx

Yeah mfp told me 1200 calories and I ignored it. I have around 1700 and am losing it (slowly, but I was on sw first). Work out your bmr which is the calories your body burns at rest then from that you can work out your tdee which is the calories needed to maintain your weight. Then you reduce that by 15-20% depending on how quickly you want to lose. I think there's a post about it on here somewhere also you could Google it, that's what I did. Im losing about 1lb a week.

Or you could guess an amount and see how it goes :)

You can change your calorie goal on mfp but not sure about deleting everything and starting again, maybe ask in mfp forum.

Good luck

Back