Anyone eating more than 1200 calories???

Thanks girls.
Might start off on 1500 and see how that goes. Will also google the BMR etc, sounds complicated though.

X

Hell yeah!!! As if myfitnesspal!!! Currently on around 1500, losing around 5/6lbs per month. Slow and steady and not starving is winning for me!!! Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MiniMins.com mobile app

My bmr is 1648 and my tdee is 1978 so how many calories should I be having. Thank u x

Are you sure? That's quite a small difference between the two. I'm guessing you picked sedentary?

Very few people are truly sedentary, so you should consider that.

But yeah, like Tracy says, eat at least 1650 calories per day, more if you're more active that day but never less.

The next one said 1 to 3 times a week exercise I don't do that so I did go for the one u said was this wrong xx

My BMR is 2359 but there's no way I am going to eat that much and the tdee was 2830.8 if sedentary and 3243.That can't be right.I was eating approx 3000 cals a day before and GAINING weight. Myfitnesspal has me at 1640 cals a day and that's what I'm sticking to.

slim2012 said:
My BMR is 2359 but there's no way I am going to eat that much and the tdee was 2830.8 if sedentary and 3243.That can't be right.I was eating approx 3000 cals a day before and GAINING weight. Myfitnesspal has me at 1640 cals a day and that's what I'm sticking to.

Personally I wouldn't start that low when you have such a lot to lose - I'd certainly not go lower than 2,000 for starters, but obviously it's your choice, we can only advise from personal experience. :) xx

Last edited:
Honestly I don't think I could fit any more food in.I've only been doing this 5 days and haven't managed to eat all my allowance once.It helps that I love fruit and veg.I don't drink alcohol at all.I'll experiment and see.I remember 1500 was my allowance when I calorie counted before.

slim2012 said:
Honestly I don't think I could fit any more food in.I've only been doing this 5 days and haven't managed to eat all my allowance once.It helps that I love fruit and veg.I don't drink alcohol at all.I'll experiment and see.I remember 1500 was my allowance when I calorie counted before.

If you're struggling to get your calories up, try some healthy but calorie dense foods like nuts or cheese, or even just have a bar of chocolate, lol. It's really important to start off at a higher level - even if you can't eat your BMR as generally recommended, I'd say try to do at least 1,800-2,000 based on your stats, then just adjust it downwards as you progress. :) xx

Hello everyone! I'm new-ish to calorie counting too (as in the actual counting) but I've been thinking about it seriously for about a year, and have dabbled somewhat here and there. I had been doing SW on and off for more than a decade...nothing wrong with the plan - sometimes I lost, sometimes I didn't, but I decided to take a different approach to my new healthier lifestyle and dust off my MFP account and bite the bullet. I knew I wanted to start slow, so I set my goal to 1lb a week and was allocated 3,190 calories per day. At first, I was like "what the-?", but then I found a group on MFP called "eat more to weigh less" and found it interesting, so I thought, I'll try it for a month - I mean really try - and see where it leads.

I started by just reducing my portions, so my diary isn't an instant change (i.e. not very 'clean' food wise + no exercise just yet). My initial goal was to stay under or right on my daily calorie goal. In the last 5 weeks, I haven't deprived myself of a single thing, and I have allowed myself a treat day (Sundays). I've lost 20lbs so far, averaging 4lbs a week. I'm re-learning what a portion is supposed to look like, focussing on bulking up my food choices with veggies and drinking more water. I think that because I'm starting at such a high weight, my deficit is actually greater than what I (or the MFP calculator) realised (i.e. I ate wayyyy more than 3,000 calories daily), hence the big losses each week (that and water weight).

I know it will taper off eventually and I will need to update my calorie goal as I go. But for now, I am pleasantly surprised. And I too have begun to relax about food. I've put off calorie counting for so long because I believed that people my size would always need to go very low calorie for it to work. I've got a long way to go, so starting below 2,000 calories is not something that appeals to me. I use FitnessFrog to work out my BMR/TDEE, I watch YouTube videos on meal prepping, strength training and IIFYM (if it fits your macros) which has helped me understand a lot more than the standard 'calories in-calories out'.

I have found that just knowing I can have what I want, when I want it (albeit in smaller portions) means that most days I am under my calories by 400-600 calories and satisfied, so by the time I have my treat day, it's actually been cancelled out for the week. So far so good. I must say that seeing people who have lost as much as you Tracy motivates me no end!

Christiana said:
Hello everyone! I'm new-ish to calorie counting too (as in the actual counting) but I've been thinking about it seriously for about a year, and have dabbled somewhat here and there. I had been doing SW on and off for more than a decade...nothing wrong with the plan - sometimes I lost, sometimes I didn't, but I decided to take a different approach to my new healthier lifestyle and dust off my MFP account and bite the bullet. I knew I wanted to start slow, so I set my goal to 1lb a week and was allocated 3,190 calories per day. At first, I was like "what the-?", but then I found a group on MFP called "eat more to weigh less" and found it interesting, so I thought, I'll try it for a month - I mean really try - and see where it leads.

I started by just reducing my portions, so my diary isn't an instant change (i.e. not very 'clean' food wise + no exercise just yet). My initial goal was to stay under or right on my daily calorie goal. In the last 5 weeks, I haven't deprived myself of a single thing, and I have allowed myself a treat day (Sundays). I've lost 20lbs so far, averaging 4lbs a week. I'm re-learning what a portion is supposed to look like, focussing on bulking up my food choices with veggies and drinking more water. I think that because I'm starting at such a high weight, my deficit is actually greater than what I (or the MFP calculator) realised (i.e. I ate wayyyy more than 3,000 calories daily), hence the big losses each week (that and water weight).

I know it will taper off eventually and I will need to update my calorie goal as I go. But for now, I am pleasantly surprised. And I too have begun to relax about food. I've put off calorie counting for so long because I believed that people my size would always need to go very low calorie for it to work. I've got a long way to go, so starting below 2,000 calories is not something that appeals to me. I use FitnessFrog to work out my BMR/TDEE, I watch YouTube videos on meal prepping, strength training and IIFYM (if it fits your macros) which has helped me understand a lot more than the standard 'calories in-calories out'.

I have found that just knowing I can have what I want, when I want it (albeit in smaller portions) means that most days I am under my calories by 400-600 calories and satisfied, so by the time I have my treat day, it's actually been cancelled out for the week. So far so good. I must say that seeing people who have lost as much as you Tracy motivates me no end!

Oh thank you! That's very kind of you. I totally agree with eating the more to weigh less philosophy - you'll put yourself in the very best position to achieve your goals and keep the weight off for good, having learned to deal with your food demons along the way. Do you have a diary? I'd very much like to follow how you get on. :) xx

I don't want to go down the eating chocolate route as I'm quite capable of eating an entire large bar by myself.I do much better not having any.I do have a choc ice every day for 95 cals. I think I'm too scared that I won't lose any weight if I eat over 1600 ish. I'm only ever 70-150 cals under what mfp tells me but I also don't eat my exercise cals at all. I think I have a mental block about eating more.Especially coming from a vlcd mindset. I am terrible with junk food so I don't want to start eating it.I don't feel hungry on the cals I have with mfp.I still have 300 left for today and have no idea what to eat as I'm stuffed from dinner.

Tracy, I've added my MFP link to my profile, so you should be able to have a look. Slim2012 I was the same, I think that's why I held on to SW for so long even though it wasn't working for me anymore. It took me a year to even get started, so I know what you mean.

Christiana said:
Tracy, I've added my MFP link to my profile, so you should be able to have a look. Slim2012 I was the same, I think that's why I held on to SW for so long even though it wasn't working for me anymore. It took me a year to even get started, so I know what you mean.

Are you going to start a diary on here, hon? :) xx

I don't want to go down the eating chocolate route as I'm quite capable of eating an entire large bar by myself.I do much better not having any.I do have a choc ice every day for 95 cals. I think I'm too scared that I won't lose any weight if I eat over 1600 ish. I'm only ever 70-150 cals under what mfp tells me but I also don't eat my exercise cals at all. I think I have a mental block about eating more.Especially coming from a vlcd mindset. I am terrible with junk food so I don't want to start eating it.I don't feel hungry on the cals I have with mfp.I still have 300 left for today and have no idea what to eat as I'm stuffed from dinner.

You have to get over that mindset otherwise you're setting yourself up for a really tough maintenance, when you hit goal. The more you eat now, the more you can eat then.

In addition, have you been doing a VLCD previously? That would've dropped your metabolism to rock bottom, so will take a good few months to reset (affecting how many cals you should be eating!)

If you're struggling to get your calories up, try some healthy but calorie dense foods like nuts or cheese, or even just have a bar of chocolate, lol. It's really important to start off at a higher level - even if you can't eat your BMR as generally recommended, I'd say try to do at least 1,800-2,000 based on your stats, then just adjust it downwards as you progress. :) xx

Definitely! Otherwise you'll really struggle if you have to lower your limits even further :) x

It really does help to eat more. I'm the same weight as you now (started 32lb heavier just 8 weeks ago). When I didn't eat enough (1500 and under) I ended up having tiny if anything losses resulting in a STS last week. This last week I was eating what MFP said (though I know that's still on a lower level) of 1800-1900 (even went over by 3cals Saturday) and I've lost 6lb. It definitely works help you lose the weight.

If it helps, my allowance is 1960, but I am 5ft 9)

Last edited:
I was on a VLCD a few months back but only for a short time but I previously lost 7 stone on one-and gained it all back when I got pregnant.I have always always had a problem with chocolate and junk food even when I was a teenager(and I'm 43 now)/.I may be wrong but I don't want to risk eating it so near to the start of this-once I get into the swing of things and get used to it I may try and incorporate some into my diet plan but I don't feel strong enough yet. I did have some homemade fruit flan yesterday to use up some more calories and actually did eat my cals limit yesterday.First weigh in tomorrow so I'll see what this week has been like.

Back