Anyone else's shape make it impossible....

to find clothes that fit?! I have a shape that makes finding things to fit a nightmare! My current stats:

Bust (over boobs): 42ins
Waist: 32ins
Widest part (around the bum): 47ins!

Well that may sound curvaceous (and it is, if too much on the large side), clothes are not made for this kind of shape any more :(. I take a 16 top, a 12-14 waist and an 18 bottom (16 in some shops). So, skirts & trousers/jeans that fit on the hips are swinging on the waist. Dress that fit the boobs are too big on the waist and often snug on the hips. I just can't win :cry:. Anyone else?! I should have been born in the 50s, when that Jayne Mansfield/Marilyn Monroe type figure could be dressed easily :sigh:!

I'd love to think that with weightloss it will even out, but I know from experience it won't, I just get a smaller version of the same!

I did have some problems in the past, when I was slimmer funny as it may seem. I could never get jeans to fit and found mens to be more comfortable but not to the extent that you have a problem with.
Have you tried making a couple of outfits yourself of hiring a dress maker to make a couple of outfits for you, just for special occasions? It might not be s expensive as you'd think.

Well, I am quite obsessed with M&S Per Una skirts as the long ones with the godet inserts are perfect for my passion of ballroom dancing. I have taken to buying 16s with elasticated waists and adjusting the elastic in them. It's a solution for evenings out, but everyday clothes are still a problem. I also love Quacker Factory jeans as they seem to be more roomy in the bum & thighs and find a Large fits OK and only slightly too big on the waist. I have a sewing machine, but I'm not an expert! I have put darts in the back of dresses before now to make them lie properly with varying levels of success! Don't even get me started on evening/ballgowns etc, like wedding dresses they have no correlation to 'normal' sizes lol!

My daughter and I went to a bridal shop last week so I could get an idea of what type of dress suits me. I'm not getting married till 2011 but this was the first time I'd been to try something on and like I said it was just to get an idea of what I like and suits me.
Anyway, I've gone down from a size 20 to a 14 on the bottom and a 16 on the top. But I was trying dresses on in size 18 and 20 and they wouldn't even do up at the back. I felt so demoralised. In NEXT I'm 14-16 but in wedding dresses over a size 20 :cry:

My daughter and I went to a bridal shop last week so I could get an idea of what type of dress suits me. I'm not getting married till 2011 but this was the first time I'd been to try something on and like I said it was just to get an idea of what I like and suits me.
Anyway, I've gone down from a size 20 to a 14 on the bottom and a 16 on the top. But I was trying dresses on in size 18 and 20 and they wouldn't even do up at the back. I felt so demoralised. In NEXT I'm 14-16 but in wedding dresses over a size 20 :cry:

when i got married i was wearing size 14 clothes but i am pretty sure my wedding dress was a size 18. The woman tried a 14 and it was tiny! then she went and got another dress but wouldn't tell me the size - which was a good thing....you are meant to feel special on your wedding day! Don't beat yourself up about it - i reckon wedding dresses must come up way smaller than regular sizes.

when i got married i was wearing size 14 clothes but i am pretty sure my wedding dress was a size 18. The woman tried a 14 and it was tiny! then she went and got another dress but wouldn't tell me the size - which was a good thing....you are meant to feel special on your wedding day! Don't beat yourself up about it - i reckon wedding dresses must come up way smaller than regular sizes.

These dresses had the built in corset which would do up fine, but the zip wouldn't do all the way up. Apparently I have some loose skin which was a problem :sigh: I'm hoping this will sort itself out as I keep losing weight.

Last edited:
As I say, I have everything in my wardrobe from a 6 to a 14. You can't trust sizes!

I have huge thighs and calves. Trying to find bottoms is a nightmare.

How do you find clothes shopping in Spain? Here in NL, unless you are 9ft 3, you've got no hope of anything looking right! I usually buy my clothes through Ebay or stock up when we come back to the UK on holidays :sigh:!

I have exactly the same problem, huge boobs (even when I'm slim), small waist and huge hips. Bravissimo tops sort out my top half and their jersey dresses have quite a lot of leeway but generally it's a nightmare. Trousers and skirts are hopeless as I'm always 2 sizes bigger on the hips than on the waist. I find Next are about the curviest on the high street but it's such a nuisance. I keep meaning to find out how expensive it would be to get a few things made for me.

I had my wedding dress designed and made for me and it was the best decision I made.

I have the same problem with jeans and I've tried every brand. They are always the same, too tight on the hips or too big on the waist. I think I must be the only person in the world who can't wear them. Or at least it feels like it!

Back