Anyone Maintaining Who Wants Help And Mutual Support To Stay Put?

This thread couldn't have started at a better time for me. I hit target last Wednesday and was elated. However 4 days on and I'd say "scared" is a better to describe how I feel.
I really didn't receive any advice from my leader about maintaining (I intend to make a point of asking for some this week coming) but from what I can gather on here I'm just to have an extra HEXB per day and see how I go.
It's terrifying letting that little bit of control go. For months now I've had it drummed into me that it's one HEXB and anything else should be synned. Now it's telling me to chill out and eat an extra *sigh*

I'm definitely going to find this adjustment hard. Maybe I'll feel better and more relaxed about it in a few weeks??

I would probably say for the first few weeks dont rush to try and change anything, try following the plan as normal as I'm sure you had weeks before when you STS or only lost a 1/2 - I certainly did. You have 3lbs to play with - if you do lose believe me, its far easier to put back on to stay within range than it is to lose it again if you go over!

I'm in a bit of a grump as I had to pay last week - have been on holiday so havent been around to post. A couple of weeks ago I had a couple of weekends where I put on so over a couple of weigh ins got to 3.5lbs over target so out of range. It was fair enough - and I still had a weeks grace to get it back so the following week was 100% back on plan.

And put on 1lb! Was absolutely gutted - had to go back and pay my money - which was bad enough, but the worst part was that I was totally convinced I would lose 2 or 3 - it never entered my head that I wouldnt at least lose the 1/2 needed to stay in range.

I've just had a weekend away in Barcelona, and have decided to book tonight's weigh in as holiday (have to go back to booking holiday now that I'm out of target range). I'm not convinced that I would lose the now 1 1/2lbs needed to get back within target range, so am giving myself a little extra time to get there.

The stupid thing is, I'm feeling more stressed about losing now that I've met target and lost it than I ever was when I was trying to get there. I'd never booked a holiday after a bad week before - now I'm just seeing it as a waste of £4.95 to go and weigh in tonight.

What's really annoying, is that if I had just not bothered to go the other week when I first went out of target (I actually went to another group as I was busy on my regular group night) - I wouldnt have got out of target in the first place that first time, and would still be on the first week's grace now and not had to pay at all yet. (I know that sounds garbled - I know what I mean, but I cant explain it too well!)

I know precisely what you mean, Mandy.
I haven't even considered myself as joining this group yet, as I don't reckon I've started maintaining properly yet!

I too am now 1.5lb outside of target range, and regretting having weighed in for the week I first gained.
And I've also booked holiday for tonight. But I already had - because I couldn't go to my usual group last week as I was busy on Tuesday. So I went to Thursday's and weighed in last week, but that means I only had 5 days rather than a whole week to get back down again. And since I was in France for the weekend, and eating my body weight in bread, butter & patisseries, weighing tonight didn't seem like a good idea.

I'm determined to have my head in gear all week, and be back in range next Tuesday - but somehow something seems to have flipped in my head, or my body, or whatever, and the losing isn't automatic once the decision to be on plan has been taken!

Determination is needed!

Thanks Mandy, that's great advice and food for thought. I've been wondering all week "what do I do now" and I see now, as you say that I just need to carry on with my new lifestyle. I guess I need to stop thinking diet.

I wasn't going to go tomorrow night but I think that might be a slippery slope at this stage and a sneaky weigh in this evening tells me I'm still on track so all good.

Thanks again, I think this little thread is going to prove invaluable for all of us :D xxx

Hey everyone :)

Can i join you? I've just got to target and it feels a little scary to stop losing weight and trying to maintain it instead!

I think for the first week im just guna keep how i have been, but not be so strict on my syns (i was limiting to 10 but ill go back to 15) and see how i go?

Hey Nicola welcome :)

They recommend to increase a HEB instead of increasing syns as they see it to leading to bad habits.

I would first increase your HEB and see how you go and if you still lose (which most people do) then increase your syns to 15 maybe...just suggestion thou ;-)

And well done on your weight loss xx

Ohh okay, thanks for that! :) my consultant literally told me NOTHING! It was all a big well done and move on, thought she might at least tell me any adjustment to the plan (if any) etc..

But thank you :) I'll do that instead.

Ohh okay, thanks for that! :) my consultant literally told me NOTHING! It was all a big well done and move on, thought she might at least tell me any adjustment to the plan (if any) etc..

But thank you :) I'll do that instead.

I would just say carry on as you had been to let things settle down - if you lose, no biggy, its much easier to put back on than lose if you go over (believe me I know)

If you increase syns or HEX in the first week and then put on, you've got nowhere to go if you want to allow yourself a treat or a night out. If you carry on going to group, if you are like me you get rather used to not paying - that first time that you have to as you've gone over the 3lb range for 2 consecutive weeks is a bit galling!

If you still lose, its much easier to just wear heavier clothes/shoes etc to stay in range!

*Emsie* said:
So it looks like I can finally join you as I got to target tonight and have never maintained my weight before and am going to need all the help I can get!

Well done emsie. I am sure you will be fine and will get lots of support on here xxxx

Congrats Emsie! Well done!!!!

Well I'm 2 weeks into maintaining.

Week 1 I stuck to plan bar allowing myself 1 treat night where I had all my favourite foods: Stilton and mushroom sauce with pasta, tiger bread rolls x 2 and for pudding a belgium chocolate eclair. I had looked forward to this feast and do you know what I didn't enjoy it that much. The food did not taste as good as I remembered and I was so full it felt really uncomfortable. Also went to wagamamas at the weekend but chose a SW friendly meal. I put on a 1lb this week which I was fine with.

Week 2 I decided to stick to plan as normal, my dad was visiting at the weekend so I did have a few treats but kept them all within my syns and managed to lose the lb I put on the previous week.

Plan for this week is to stay on plan again and hopefully lose another 1lb to put me under target. I would rather be under than over I think. We are going to a wedding this weekend but I had to choose my food in advance and I have picked - Tomato & Basil Soup, Vegetable Ratatouille and lemon cheesecake, I will be driving so no worry about alcohol syns.

All in all not doing so badly I think it'll take a few more weeks before I am 100% confident in increasing things or choosing stuff slightly off plan.

Congrats Emsie!!! Welcome to the world of maintenance. Its as easy or as hard as you want to make it I think. I keep making it harder on myself by having days off and having to scrabble to pull it back before WI (I am only weighing fortnightly now). This is not my preferred method but Im a compulsive eater and so far it has saved me from disastrophe. If I just ate what I really wanted to, I would be a stone heavier already, so I am controlling what I do for 95% of the time, and am working on more control over the other 5%.

Well done Emsie and all maintainers!

Put on 2.5lbs at weigh in today (not weighed for two wks). Finding it tough at mo and not always keeping track of syns :(

It is my 6 month target anniversary next wk so got get back to basics :)

1st post! I hit target at the end of January but have struggled since then. I have an annoying cycle of having a blowout weekend, putting on about 2 pounds, then taking it off slowly over the next few weeks. I've never been below target, i kindof feel like I'm still slimming without the 'win' every week. Bad habits, but I'm getting better, I WI every few weeks to keep me on track.

I agree though SW isn't really set up for maintainers. When I joined my C mentioned about the HeX but nothing since and there's no help on the website. Glad I found this forum!

Didn't maintain very well for my first week gained 1.5lbs which places me 0.5lbs over target but still in target range so not too bad I suppose. Can't believe how much pressure still feel about it all though. Am hopefully going to focus this week and do a better job of maintaining! Would like to actually lose but would also like to get drunk Friday night so not holding my breath! ;) xxx

Lost 1.5 tonight which brings me bang on target again which is good - I'd like to lose again next week to give me some credit to be able to go and eat and drink what I like at Glastonbury next week!

Turns out there was a top target member promotion a while back, but because there were only 2 target members in our group at the time, and both of us had fallen out of range when it was going on, she didnt bother mentioning it as she thought I'd feel bad having been out of range! Gah, still would have liked the recognition - I dunno if it was a national competition (like woman of the year etc) or what, but would have liked to have known a little more about it, rather than have it ignored completely.

Rant over!

Back