Anything horse related

I cant wait for him to arrive - I have a kind of nervous excitement at them moment. But am also absolutely terrified!!! Keep going from one emotion to another!!!

It says on his passport breeding unknown but he's definately got welsh in him dont you think? Not very good on breeding to be honest but think he's a handsome chap whatever!!

He sounds a dream Helen. My close friend has a lovely welsh sec C he is a dream. I have great difficulty telling what breeding is what so no good asking me what breeding is in him lol. As long as they have 4 legs and a tail....:D
When I first got Zoe I found that after the initial euphoria wore off I had a couple of weeks where I was in a panic of the "OMG what have I done" kind. Then it all settled down.
Zoe was barefoot when I first got her. Most of the riding we did was on roads and in the school. She was fine and my farrier was happy for her to stay that way. Then I moved to another yard where most of the riding is on very stoney tracks.....she wasn't coping so she now has shoes on. Zoe has very hard typical good native hooves. I am afraid I love the idea of being barefoot but not at any price.

Boofaloo he sounds perfect for you :D Good luck for Saturday.

This is a cut and paste from my diary today as I really need to get some sleep but another hosey posibility has opended up so I have them coming out of my ear now :eek: :D

The assistant at LL has broken her shoulder in a riding accident and has a bomb proof Appaloosa X Irish Cob she wants me to exercise for her and 2 other ponies which she said would be interesting for me to ride but we didn’t get a chance to go into further details. She is going to be out of action for at least another 6 weeks or more I would think. All are kept at her private yard and she has an all weather schooling area. I have her number and am going to arrange something for next week. :D

Thanks guys - I am very excited about Saturday but also nervous. I'll be glad when he's here and settled.

Sounds like an interesting situation chicken and if that isnt making things happen for you, then i dont know what is!!!!!
I have loved riding different horses over the last couple of weeks, and it's has surprised me just how quickly you get back into the swing of things!
Go for whatever is best for you and enjoy it!!!!!

Congrat's helen! hope the move goes well, I'm SO jealous! lol
Tell us all, and more pics when you get him! ;)

Well.. today was mud glorious mud!
As i was looking after 2 16hh horses on our yard for the day.. and their field has a mini 'lake' as my hubby calls it.. at the gate.. you stand in water/mud up past your short boots.. ended up with mud ALL over me up to the knee's then part way up to the waist and slightly covered t-shirt/ arms... yep they'd soaked their lead reins and head collars in water/mud by splashing! :p

was great great fun though! lol

I'd do anything right now to have a break from it all. I'm so poorly but they keep me focussed. I could just do with a break from the cold.

Hi, yes, I feel a little better after some nice sleep. I've got a chest infection; I had pneumonia last year and have bhronchitis every year, but it always gets me down. The cold weather makes it worse, but I love going and seeing my horses and having a big cuddle under their rugs. Tonight my horse was giving me sloppy kisses all over my arms. He likes to nuzzle into my fleece and suck the cloth and the little thing on the zip and he nuzzles into my neck and face. I've just brought him through a quite bargy stage using a chifney and a calm attitude, and he is a darling. I love him with every part of me. Couldn't bear to part with him despite how he makes me despair.

How are your horsey adventures going?

Oh wow carrie- what a lovely way to describe your relationship with your horse. I hope you feel better soon. :)

Sounds fun Purple!!! I keep forgetting that horses = MUD and keep wearing my trainers to go to the yard!!! MISTAKE. :D

How are things chicken? You riding today?

I have been to tack shopafter tack shop today and spent a fortune!!! :) Heres what i've bought:
Feed, Lunge line, lunge whip, schooling whip, headcollar, leadropes, haynets, waffle cooler rug, stuff to go in a first aid kit, likits and a lovely dark red polypad!!!!!
My poor credit card has taken a bashing but it was great fun. :)

Carrie that sounds exactly why we love horses, we get such a lot of love from them in return for our love don't we :)

Boofaloo that's sounds like an expensive but extremely satifying shopping trip :D Good luck for tomorrow ;)

I spoke to the owners of Joy yesterday who said that their daughter is coming round to the idea of selling her but still not happy about it. I used the opportunity to try and persuade them to try and renegotiate the working livery agreement with the stables so that I can take her on long term loan instead. :)

I pointed out that if we could get something arranged that this could be the best solution for everyone involved. They get to keep the horse for when the daughter has got more time, I get to ride more and gain experience, Joy gets hacking experience and develops as a result and has a good time. Of course the fact that I wouldn’t have to pay out £2,000 upfront would be great as would the fact that all insurance and vets bills etc would be the responsibility of the owner and I would be responsable for everything else (if they agree). :D

She sounded interested but felt that it would be difficult to renegotiate the working livery agreement so that I got additional exclusive riding time during the week. Joy isn’t used that much anyway and the happy hacking I have in mind wouldn’t take too much out of her, I would be able to ride on days where she isn’t used by the riding school enough but I want definate exclusive time. I look at the boards every time I go up there and I haven’t seen her used during the day anyway, except by me. The owner said her daughter had only been going to the stables for half a day on Sunday so I said how about trying split the exclusive use time over 2 days instead and pointed out that Pinkmead may actually find this more to their liking because it would mean that Joy would be available for an extra ½ day during peak time.

I also pointed out given that Joy was so different on a hack I would want to have a trial period first anyway to see how this would work and if Joy is actually going to be what I would want given the head shaking issue (no medical reason for this and no problems with ill fitting tack either) which I didn’t know she had until my Tuesday hack. I think that this is just youthful exuberance because there was no sign of this in the school and that regular positive forward going hacks may well see her lose the habit. There is no telling until I try.

All in all I am happy that I got to speak to the owners before they had decided to sell so that I could float the idea of the loan which would suit me as I would effectively get all the riding benefits of owning but without the unexpected bills and initial outlay of buying Joy in the first place. :D

Also pointing out my surprise at her head shaking behaviour gives me a perfect start to on negotiate later if I do decide to buy because I thought that she would be as well rounded when hacking as she is in the school, she doesn’t put a foot wrong there. ;)

The owners are going to call me back after the weekend. If they say they want to sell I would specify taking her on a trial basis anyway and wouldn’t buy her without this condition being met.

It was riding day today! I rode Demi and she was a completely different ride. She was very narrow compared to Joy which is hardly surprising given that she is a Thoroughbred X New Forest and Joy is a Welsh Section D. Demi was more sensitive to my seat than Joy is and takes cues from this so she can predict my intentions earlier thus giving a more immediate response than Joy. She takes more work to get her to go forward positively but she isn’t a lazy horse. Joy is more hurried and needs the occasional half halt to work on her impulsion in order to slow down her stride pattern but increase the stride legnth for a smoother calmer working walk. I needed to do a few half halts on Demi during today's lesson but for a different reason. This was to get her to concentrate on me and to build up the impulse in her momentum and actually increase the pace of the working walk.

My riding was less confident and natural today which is probably because I have been getting comfortable as I got to know Joy better. This makes me think that riding Demi and other horses is going to benefit me as it will force me to adapt my riding and become a thinking rider rather than being on auto pilot. This is what my riding instructor was intending for me anyway before I kept requesting to ride Joy to try her out to see if she would suit me before seriously considering buying her.

Either I am getting suppler or Demi’s trot is less bouncy because I was able to comfortably do a sitting trot with no stirrups for numerous laps of the school with no bouncing and my lower back working as it should in sympathy with the horse to keep us in perfect balance (as long as I kept the impulsion going) with no jolting. I felt like I could have kept this up all day without it being uncomfortable for either Demi or I. It will be interesting to see if I am any better at the sitting trot on Joy next week because I know that Demi’s paces are flatter which obviously helped but I also know my lower back was noticeably less stiff and more flexible.

I can't help wondering if my motives for preferring Joy are because I feel she can deal with my weight better? I know this is mad considering I am only 10 ½ stone now which is well within Demi’s remit but it is still taking a while for my head to get used to how different I am. I know what I look like but it is taking longer to get used to how differently I move and seem to others.:(

Roll on next week :)

I am so tempted to try and get another hack booked on Joy but I can ill aford it this week.

WOW. Sounds like things are definately moving in the right direction Chicken. A loan sounds perfect - I hope the owners realise what a good solution this is!!

Charlie has arrived!!! I got a phone call this morning to say the lorry had broken down on the way to me - AARGH more waiting!!!! Luckily it got sorted very quickly and they arrived after lunch. He settled well in his stable and although is very alert to his new surroundings seems happy. :)
One thing i have noticed though is he can be quite persistant about food - begging really and nuzzling with his nose to try and get you to give him something. I wont be tit bitting him at all and the only food he will get will be from buckets and haynets. Hopefully he'll learn pretty soon that muggin is not acceptable!!!
Going up tomorrow and will take some piccies.
Catch you all later xxx

Hi Helen,

Just wanted to wish you all the best with your new horse Charlie and I hope you will have many happy days together.

Love Mini xxx

Oh Helen I can't wait for the pics :D

He sounds a right character and clever with it too. Hopefully you'll be posting about all his little nuances so that I can feel like I am getting to know him too :D

Havent managed to take the camera up yet but will do soon!!

Charlie has settled well - he whinnied at me today which was nice. I feel I am starting to bond with him - he's very much a people horse!!
Did have a few ups and downs yesterday - his saddle which fit him well a while ago is completely unsuitable now. I'm having to have one custom made so thats a blow to my bank balance but good for charlie as it is really uncomfortable for him!!
Turned him out yesterday and it was lovely to see him run and kick and roll!! I just love watching him - could sit for hours just watching him eat!!!!
Have given him a good groom today and will do a quick pick out of feet and wipe over before he is put to bed tonight. Am takin the children to the cinema so it will only be a quick do.
Going to lunge him tomorrow. Saddler has suggested some exercises to start working him long and low to try and get him to relax as he is quite tense because of his saddle.
All very exciting but flipping expensive!!!! :)

I'm so glad you posted boofaloo because that gave me food for thought.

Joy's owner rang tonight and they are meeting me down the stables after my lesson. That means they'll turn up early and watch me ride their horse, I'm nervous :eek:

They are considering loaning Joy out in the short to medium term with a view to selling in the long term. All of this is going to be subject to whether they think I'll do, if we can come to an arrangement that the riding school will be happy with and that we can come to an arrangement that we are both happy with.

As their daughter will probably still want use for 1/2 a day on Sunday and on school holidays the loan agreement isn't going to be straight forward. I think that I'll see if I can just pick up the livery and shoeing with them responsable for everything else such as vets, insurance and tack etc. It's going to take some working out and he know what he is going on about and I don't :(

Friday is going to be a big day for me. Hubby and daughter both have the day off so I have booked my daughter in for her first every lesson to see how she gets on, it will also be the first time that hubby gets to see me riding in a school and his first look at Joy. :)

To be honest as long as she has 'fluffy feet' then he'll be happy :D

I have also aranged to go with the assistant LLC councillor down to her yard on Thursday. It will be nice to be able to talk horses without the other person falling asleep in the middle of it :rolleyes: I'm looking forward to that but because I have to get back to pick my daughter up from school at 11.45am I won't have time to ride.

I can't wait until I have got a little boy or girl to come and share my horses with me: brushing them off and sitting in their stables with them when they are laid down sleeping. I used to be a nanny and Isabella used to love doing these things with me. I first sat on a horse as a baby when my dad was a groom and my grandparents had a farm with working horses on it. I haven't looked back, and I can't wait to pass the bug onto my children!:D

I thought that but to be honest I don't think my daughter is interested :(

I'll see how she goes on Friday.

I'm really excited about tomorrow. I am going to visit the assitant LLC's yard and hopefully have enough time to ride. W has to get back early for physio for her broken shoulder.

We are going to drop into the riding school unannounced so she can have a look at Joy without the owner being there. She is also going to come with me on Friday for moral support when I speak to the owner.

It took a lot for me to call W to arrange tomorrow because I get scared or looking daft or failing. I challenged my behaviour and did something I wouldn't normally do. I need more practice at this so it comes naturally. :)

Right then boof, where are these pics you promised? :D

I am taking my camera up to the stabels tomorrow!!! I promise!!!!

Enjoy yourself tomorrow chicken and relax. :)

Had a good but kind of stressful horsey day today. My friend had asked someone to clip Charlie for me and to say i was nervous about this was an understatement!! He has never been done before but is such a woolly bear really needed doing.
Anyway i got to the yard and stood him outside - he looked at me as if to say - 'what are you up to?' Anyway The lady brought out the clippers and he wasnt too impressed. He danced around a bit but that was it and she was very patient with him. I kept feeding him polos until he settled down and then the bugger fell asleep!!!!! All my worrying and he just stood there dozing while she clipped him!

Anyway he is now sporting a rather fetching bib clip. I turned him out and he had a bit of a mad half hour charging around then settled down to graze.

When I went to put him in tonight i lunged him for a few minutes on each rein and he was much better. His outline is starting to soften and he seems a lot more comfortable. He also didnt sweat as much because of his clip so it must have been more comfortable for him.

Having a few issues with people on the yard. nothing nasty in fact the opoosite everyone is falling over themselves to help which is lovely. It's just sometimes i feel abit overwhelmd by all the advice. They are a really nice bunch of people though and I value their opinions - i just hope they dont get offended when i make my own decisions regardless of their advice!!

Helen it sounds like you are really getting settled in down the yard as is Charlie. :) I can't wait to see the photos and I'll try to get some of Joy dependent on what happens when I meet the owner tomorrow.

Today was lovely and relaxed, the sun was shining and the yard was so far off of anyroads so it was perfectly countryside quiet. We talked loads, and I did a bit of work after I asked if I could because she wouldn’t have asked me. W owns her own yard and keeps 2 New Forest ponies and a horse. Nobody else shares her yard but she has said that if I do eventually end up buying a horse then she would love it if I can keep it there so that she has someone to ride with and share the work load with too.

I rode Melly her Appaloosa X Irish Cob and even I know it wasn’t a good ride both on my part and hers! I was too soft on her and Melly hadn’t been ridden for some time and was very unfit and tight. She has very short fast snatched trot and not remotely elevated so it is just as easy to sit for the trot as rise and I had no problems and felt comfortable doing so. She tried it on with me on a couple of times and could have done with being tapped with my whip but I had the usual problem of being all fingers and thumbs because I am not used to carrying or using a whip and don’t feel happy using one. This is going to take some practice on my part because I can’t keep expecting to only ride horses that are forward going and need collecting like Joy is. Melly sweated up quickly because she is so unfit and hasn’t been clipped because she isn’t going to be ridden regularly for a while until W is back up to it.

I have been offered the use of Mel at any time because she needs the exercise but I still feel that Joy is going to be the best option for me. I want to ride out and wouldn’t be happy just riding around an outside school. There are quiet lanes near the yard but I don’t think there is a lot of country to actually access for riding despite being in the middle of the countryside. Once W is riding again we could ride out together and take Melly and Lars out in the trailer – The New Forrest isn’t that far which would be gorgeous – but I don’t want to only ride out occasionally. I am going to take W back to her yard tomorrow after going doing my lesson and talking to Joy’s owner because I spent some time trying to tidy up her all weather school today but didn’t get a chance to finish. I want to get that finished and all the weeds pulled too. Poor W must have found it difficult having to rely of others to look after her animals (she isn’t allowed to drive so can’t get there) and then to see her yard getting out of hand when she can’t do anything must be very frustrating. :(

When we nipped into the riding school unannounced this morning, we got a chance to speak to one of the grooms (who I am not sure is all there, rude I know but I can't help my impressions) who said that she thought Joy needed dental work and that this is why she threw her head about but if this was the case then wouldn’t she do it in the school as well? In fact more so in the school if anything because the demands on her are greater? :confused:

I feel less nervous about tomorrow because I know I have another option now. The comments about the teeth, which I think are wrong, have reinforced my determination to go for loan only and under no circumstances will I consider buying until I have had Joy for a decent length of time to check out why she tosses her head. Not only that, hubby passed his motorcycle test today so I know he is going to want to buy a bike ASAP despite not using it that much until spring. Joy also badly needs clipping (which the school do themselves) but the owners have yet to take a rug down for her so she can’t be done. Surely this isn't the behaviour of owners that are using her every Sunday? The staff didn’t think that the daughter had been down every Sunday either and they should know. :confused:

Dental work? Rugs? Unless I can get an agreement that gives me a fixed payment to make every week in exchange for time I won't be going for the loan option loan either.

Roll on tomorrow because I just want this sorted now.:eek: :)

Back