Anything horse related

Aww, Laura, that's fabulous.

Boofaloo hang on in there. I had the worst time of it for the first three or four months with both my welsh Ds but they do settle. And once his teeth and back are sorted, he should be fine.

Chicken, you seem like you are doing everything right and sounds great about your extra spending money.

This week I have sorted out some new jumps that no sod is gonna nick and take down to their field. This woman keeps her horses in the cross country field and hates anyone using the cross country course. That isn't so bad at this time of year, but when you want to use it in Summer she causes all sorts of agro. She is such a horrid person as well and once wrote a note on the communal notice board accusing people of bashing her horse round the head, when none of us would do such a thing, least of all to another person's horse. I have been known to smack my horse when in danger, but never out of cruelty. She however, is a very aggressive person and has taken a young girl under her wing (the young girl kept her horse up there but sold it to help this woman with her three horses). For years this young girl has been her skivvy and has learned her ways, getting things out of horses by kicking them if they don't stand still for a clip, or smacking them if they so much as move when she picks their feet. She hogs the jumps from the school and then doesn't bring them back, and then when people want to use the cross country she doesn't like it and kicks up a fuss. SO, my hubby, who is a clever clever man and makes bespoke kitchens, is making me some jumps and others will be able to use them, but the rules will be that the jumps must be put away properly in the right place and used with respect. This woman never puts anything away or picks up poo from the school after use. If I find she has been abusing my jumps I will stop her using them. Rant over!

I have, as always, had a great week with my horses, schooling and hacking them. George has got through his bargy stage now and is a really sweet boy. He follows me round the field when I am picking weeds. Awww, I love them! And I pick up my new rabbit on Sunday, when I will post new pics.:D :D

Happy horsin' folks!

Boofaloo, hold in there :) I realise it must be difficult for you at the moment. Not only are you getting to know a new horse and trying to work out his ways but you have the added complication of his being uncomfortable and posibly in pain. It's no wonder you are worried about comming down too hard on him in case it is all medical.

At least you are aware that a balance needs to be found until you can get him sound again and this makes you more likely to follow the righ course. Follow your instincts on this because you know what you are doing ;) :)

c2b,

I never thought about the changing shape of a horse over the various seasons so that gave me food for thought. Thanks :).

Sorry to hear about your bike being nicked. I hope it gets recovered soon for you so fingers crossed.

Horsiecarrie,

I bet you can't wait until your jumps are done :D

I have always said that I hate people and much prefer animals which isn't quite true but isn't far off :eek:

Looking forward to your rabbit pics. ;) Have you got a name sorted yet?

What a brilliant name for a rabbit :D :D :D and anything Magic Roundabout related has to be a winner even without the bouncing corellation :D

c2b - completely agree about horses being the best anti depressant. i dont have the time to feel down anymore i'm always at the horse!!! ;)

Horseycarrie - OOO new jumps. Bet you're dead excited. Shame about the nasty lady. grrr think we should stick all the nasty horsey people on one livery yard together in the shetland islands or somehwere similar!!! :D And i am loving your name for your new rabbit. Lots of piccies please when he arrives. :)

Chicken - How are things? Have you heard anything about Joy? How is her head shaking? Charlie has done it a few times since i got him and a riding istructor at our yard said it's usually down to stress, nervousness or excitement!!
Lots to thinkabout with this horse owning lark isnt there. I am at the moment in the middle of a rug debate. Do i put on a middle weight with a neck cover or without? Do i put a fleece on him in his stable or a lightweight stable rug or both? AHHH decisions decisions. :D

No I haven't heard anything yet. They warned me they would be away for 10 days and that was last Friday so I'm assuming that they are away all half term and then back again Sunday ready for the start of school.

I'm hoping they'll call on Monday evening as the suspense is killing me especially given that I wasn't my sual happy positive self given that I had just had the worst lesson of my life :eek:

It might have worked in my favour though because I am usually such a pushover. I might have come across as more assertive than normal rather than just plain bolshy :eek: :rolleyes:

Actually it made me point out Joy's faults as well as my own and led to him mentioning about a weekly professional schooling session. So it might all be ok and I could end up with a mush improved horse because of it :) or nothing at all :eek: :(

Roll on Monday!

aha Helen the advantage of having a VERY hairy native. No rugging needed. I don't clip her which means I have to spend a little more time making sure she is cooled down properly but as I don't work ;) I have plenty of time to play.

Laura XX

Don't want to clip George this year as his clip takes ages to grow out and, as I show him, I can't really deal with that. Both of mine get very hairy indeed (natives again), but I am rugging George at the moment to stop his coat coming through so much - just a suggestion from my instructor.

Have settled in the middleweight with neck cover. It's hardly got any filling in but will keep him from getting wet if it rains.
he really doesnt need anything heavier.

Having a battle again with the os' - he kicked me yesterday!!. Not hard might i add and it shocked him that he actually made contact but boy was i cross!! I was trying to pick out his back feet - which he wasnt too keen on. Anyway he was a very good boy after that but it has made me more wary of him.
I am starting parelli today. I'm not majorly into it but found doing some of the 7 games helped my realtionship with my last horse so i will se if it works this time too.
Will start today with the friendly game and see how we go. :)

My main reason for not clipping and rugging is that she has sweetitch and spends the whole summer rugged up. I don't really want her to spend her whole life with a rug on. She needs to get out there and roll in the mud :rolleyes:. However it's not carved in stone. She isn't a very sweaty horse so hoping desperatly to manage without clipping or rugging .... Ho hum

Completely agree Laura, your horse needs to be ahorse at some point!! Poor thing having sweet itch - does she have a boett rug, they're supposed to be good arent they?

Had a fab horsey day yesterday. Did the friendly game and then lunged him and did some leading exercises. He was really attentive and enjoyed himself. It makes me think it is his saddle thats causing the problem as he's such a sweety on the ground.
He's having his wolf teeth out tomorrow - bit worried about that. i hope it goes ok.

She only has mild sweetitch so manages with ordinary fly rugs. I did sell my cart and harness to fund a Fal Sweetitch rug....it lasted 3 weeks and that was with numerous repairs :rolleyes: . So now we have a weatherbeeta that is ok and a riff raff pest vest that is fab. We have trouble finding ones to fit across her ample chest.

I have had a lovely horsey day today. I normally have a lesson on Mondays but it's been postponed til weds. So I went out for a hack along the river. There is one stretch that Zoe hates. No idea why, but today she decided nap big time. Lots of spinning and backing up. At one point I thought we were going to end up in the river when she is backing towards the bank :eek:. I am so stubborn I refuse to turn round or get off lol. After a few arguments that I won :D she was perfect once we got off that stretch. We were out for over 2 hours. One of those days I could have gone on forever....

I love days like this...

Helen I wish you and Charlie the best for tomorrow. Can they do his wolf teeth under local? I'd be interested to know the final bill for this if you don't mind sharing it with me? Given how much my cats have costed me I was wondering how much the differences were for a large animal.

Laura is sounds like you had a wonderful day. I can't wait until I can start having days like that. :D

I still haven't heard from Joy's owners and am trying to tell myself that this is because they wouldn't have had time to talk to the stables since about the new hours of use for Joy as everything hinges on that. I just want to know one way or the other now as this is killing me :(

Mine also gets sweet itch and I had to heartbreakingly hog his mane this year, but it looks great and helped him immensely. Having a shorter coat should also help him when it comes to sweet itch season again. I keep my mare unrugged to the very last minute, though.

A quick question if I may? :eek:

Would any of you consider paying to have a 1/2 hour DVD done of you riding so you can analye you and your horse's performance?

If so, how much would you pay? If not, do you think there is a market for it?

I'm not touting for business but just wondered if this would be a good way for me to bring some money into the house without having to go and work for someone else. I know I want to go self employed at something and have all the gumpf on what's involved in that but it's juts a case of deciding what to start up in :confused:

Hi Chicken - I would consider it. I suppose it's distance teaching isnt it and would be good for those who dont want/ cant afford regular lessons or are dont have an instructor near or like me who get embarrassed being watched riding!!

Dont really know how much i'd pay - probably up to £20 including postage as thats what it would cost for a normal lesson.
An idea for you could be to send out specific training plans for individuals based on the DVD this would perhaps encourage return business.

An interesting idea and one that could be trialed for little expense to yourself as far as i can see.

I get my husband to video me riding from time to time. I haven't been riding long and I find it helps a great deal as I can actually see what my instructor sees. I often feel I am doing one thing, but the video shows something different :rolleyes:. It is also nice to have a record to show how I am improving. The one he took of me the first time I trotted is.....erm interesting lol.

People pay huge amounts (I think they are huge) for professional photos taken at shows and other events. Just wondering if people would pay for videos of them at such places. As Boofaloo says if you have the equipment it wouldn't cost much to trial it. A site where you can upload small snippets of them about to jump might just be enough to tempt them.

Try posting the question as a poll on some of the horse forums like .... horse and hound or new rider. Might give you a better idea.

The reason I asked is that I got my hubby to film me the lesson before last. I didn't watch it though because it was that lesson from hell and not a refection of my normal riding so all I would have gained was a loss of confidence. :(

I thought maybe £20 might be about the limit too but the trouble is that once I take out my travelling time and that of laying down the film to DVD I wouldn't be on much of a wage after that unless I can get the riding schools on side and have them employ me for a morning and then they promote the service sell on the idea to their pupils.

I never thought about hovering at shows so that's a thought. :D

As for offering a training programme, years down the line when I have some experience under my belt then that would be a great option but I just haven't got enough of a clue at the moment :eek:

I still haven't heard anything about Joy :(

Boofaloo, how did it go today?

Hi

Wolf teeth went fine - he didnt have any!!!! LOL had to laugh :)
I could have sworn the old owners said he needed them out but i obviously dreamt it!! Luckily the other girl's horse did have his and the vet removed them no problem!!
Costs about £100 all told i think.

It was good having the vet out though, he checked charlie over and said he was fine with no back issues that were obvious. I've been worrying that his saddle is doing damage to him but the vet seems to think he's just uncomfortable rather than in serious pain.
Am still waiting for the new saddle to be made so we will see how he goes after that.

That has to be a weight off your mind. At least once you get the tack issue settled you'll know that Charlie is just being a little bugger rather than you you being a cruel mum for working a horse with health issues. That way you can start being firm but fare with no guilt and really put him in his place :D

I still haven’t heard from Joy’s owners and am feeling calmer about this whole situation now as there is nothing I can do to change it. I will probably give the owners a ring on Friday if I still haven’t heard anything so that I know if I need to be looking around. :)

There are other options open to me even if I just get one of the riding school horses on loan for a while to get more time in the saddle and do the soft option in working out if horse ownership is for me and after that the world is my lobster! If this doesn’t come off with Joy then perhaps there are better prospects out there and my eyes have been blind to them because I have been set on having Joy? :confused:

I went down to the stables today to book another lesson (I requested Demi or one of the other horses) and see Joy under saddle because I wanted to see if how I feel on her and what she looks like when she is being ridden by someone else are the same.

I was shocked because she wasn’t the well schooled horse she usually is with me and wasn't working in an outline. Not only that she kept head nodding in the indoor school which she has never done before with me but she jumps very well and has definite potential there.

I am bearing in mind that I have really enjoyed the hacks I have been on with her and that is predominantly what I want to use her for. Not only that I feel that some stability and a bit of fun is what she needs to sort her out and calm her down. I got Joy settled in after her lesson and she was warmer towards me today and even seemed pleased to see me even though it has been nearly 2 weeks since I last saw her because of half term. I think we have the beginnings of a relationship and I do think she just needs a regular calming influence although I am now running out of patience waiting for an answer. :mad:

If I don't hear for definate soon then I'll be using my funds to ride as many other horses as I can and then making a move to initiate a loan on something else which is a shame because I think Joy and I have got potential even if she does have to be made. :(

Back