Are the likes of Dawn French and Fern really happy?

Wow JFC. thaks for that link, madkes fascinating reading doesn't it. Dawn French really does seem an amazing woman.

Fantastic article! Thanks for that Jen....;)

Thanks for that article, I love Dawn French, she's an amazing strong woman :D

I really do think that her and Fern are happier being bigger. What gets me is why the media always think that people should be unhappy because they are of a larger build.

I personally would hate to be as skinny as Victoria Beckham or Kate Moss. If I had to choose between looking like either group, I'd pick the Dawn and Fern one.

In some cultures bigger is more beautiful anyway and just because we all want to be slimmer it doesn't necessarily mean that everyone else does too.

I used to work with a really lovely lady who was always about a size 24-26. She went on a diet and was in a size 10. we all thought she was happy but no, she hated her new size and the attention it gave her so she decided to put the weight back on again. She's now about a size 20 and says she's the happiest she's ever been. She still gets attention (she's a very strikingly beautiful lady) but not too much. She thinks she's hit the right balance now.

I'm really happy for her and as she said, she did it all for herself as her hubby really doesn't care what size she is and is always telling her so. All he wants is for her to be happy.

Oh Brightness, you really hit the nail on the head there- balance. What makes one person happy does not make another happy. I have never in my life been skinny, I remember once, for one day hitting 8 stone 12, but never achieved it again. So I am not fighting my way down to that again, if it is not sustainable then I can't see the point in doing it. I just want to be at a size where I feel comfy in my own skin, something I suspect Dawn and Fern have already achieved.

There are so many factors in our lives that even if you are unhappy with one area, how could that make you unhappy over all?

I was unhappy with my size because I could not be the role model I wanted to be for my daughter and I couldn't be as active a mum as I wanted to be. Very soon that motive switched to me not being able to persue the lifestyle that I had previously enjoyed when I was smaller.

Despite these and other non-size related issues that I was not happy with, my life is amazing, I am a very lucky lady and I have always been happy on balance :)

Me too COAM, I can't say my weight has really stopped me being happy. More that it can 'colour' an occasion by making things difficult. Like when we took the kids to Disney in Florida, we had a wonderful time but everytime I had to go through oe of those flaming turnstiles I panicked inside. Some were easy and some weren't but it kind of spoilt things a bit if I had to struggle.

I think they are genuinely happy to be honest. being in the media spotlight and the pressure that all the skinny celebs say they are under to be slim, im sure if the likes of dawn and fern werent happy they would lose weight? I know there are a lot of women who are happier being bigger. I personally feel that curves are sexy, but some women may not, or may feel the bigger the better. They still get work despite their size, who knows if they would get more if they were slimmer, or even if they would get less if they to lose weight...

Saying that though, when you watch programmes with 'feeders' you wonder if these men and women just want to be loved and will do anything to have acceptance. If there partners like bigger people, are they happy to stay bigger for there partners?

Just look at Michele McManus who lost all that weight - she always said she was happy, then lost weight and said she didnt realise that she was kind of unhappy...

Back