Are we eating too little now?

scottc2105

Hey there,

My name is Scott. I've always been kinda big even when I was little and me and my other half have both had it being large and we are making 2010 the year we lose most of it!

We started last week (19th) I was 285lbs at the beginning of last week and I'm now 280lbs. My other half was 275lbs and is now 273lbs.

I suffer from anxiety and don't go out a lot at all. Maybe 3 times in a month as I'm real bad around people. My other half stays home with me to keep me in line.

We got a Wii Fit because I don't go out and after an hour we burn 440-500 kcals according to it. We didn't use to do any exercise and we used to eat a fair bit. Now the reason I am asking if we eat too little now is that we both now only eat 1350kcals a day and according to a lot of online calculators I have done, for us both to lose 2lbs a week I should be eating atleast 2500 kcals a day (with 1 hour of exercise) and the other half should be eating atleast 1900kcals (again with 1 hour of exercise). My BMR (I think it is called) was around the 2200 mark and the other halves was around 1900.

I personally have never dieted before so it's all new to me but I have done my research so I was hoping I/we could get some advice from here. I have been looking on the forum for sometime and everyone seems nice but have only just become a member.

Thanks.

someone suggested I join my fitnesspal
as that works out the calories for you and the fat protein etc

it just help both of you to stay on track

I follow slimming world so I dont count calories etc

hope someone with more knowledge about calories comes along soon

good luck to both of you :)

good luck to you both! i don't think i am in a position to advise you on calories, but the fact that you are both losing is a great sign.
best wishes x

I personally started out at about 320lbs and am now down to 275ish since the beginning of September 2009. I do this by eating anywhere between 1,200 and 1,400 calories a day. Sept - Dec I was also attending the gym three times a week for about 40 minutes each time, but over December we've pretty much been snowed in in the UK so I've not gone.

I'd say, then, that 1,350 is just fine. I know online calorie calculators reccommend more than that, but if it's working for you just keep at it until it stops working for you.

It will stop working at some point. Your body will get used to the new calorific intake, things start adapting, and you plateau. And that's when you take a look at what you're eating and how you're exercising. But until then? Enjoy the weight loss! :D

Unfortunately by then the damage may have been done, and your body could take a while to return to its normal function level, and that would stall your weight loss efforts?
My advice personally is to eat your BMR cals for a few weeks and see how you get on. As it is, you're motivated at the minute, but you'll find in the long run that that isn't a sustainable amount of calories to live on- and it could recult in you both giving up as soon as a craving hits, or you hit a plateau in your losses?
After all- if you can lose weight (even if its slower!) by eating loads instead of eating 'bird-like' portions, then who could beat that?
Just my tuppence worth....

Thanks for the replies. We are a little bit down at the moment as for the past 4 or 5 days the OH has lost virtually nothing and I'm putting weight on!

Would I be right in thinking my body has rejected what I'm doing? I'm doing 60 mins on the WiiFit (440Kcal-ish) and eating a hell-of-a-lot less (daily this is). We both arn't sure what to do :(

Woah. Never, ever weigh in daily. Once a week at most. I could wax lyrical about how your body works, but frankly you can just google that. Plenty of factors conspire against you if you weigh yourselves daily and it gives you a totally unrealistic view of your weight loss.

Once a week. Same time. Same environmental factors. Same clothes (or naked if possible). Preferably morning before breakfast but after toilet.

Woah. Never, ever weigh in daily. Once a week at most. I could wax lyrical about how your body works, but frankly you can just google that. Plenty of factors conspire against you if you weigh yourselves daily and it gives you a totally unrealistic view of your weight loss.

Once a week. Same time. Same environmental factors. Same clothes (or naked if possible). Preferably morning before breakfast but after toilet.

Tell that to the WiiFit. It makes you weight daily or it thinks you have missed a day. You get a stamp everyday you weigh in.

Gonna get some bathroom scales I think and do it ourselves. Is there anything you can recommend we do?

Ensure the scales are on a flat, level surface. I can't stress that enough. Use a spirit level if necessary, and don't place scales on carpet - it shifts under weight and isn't level.

Use scales which can measure in tenths of a pound, not just whole pounds. Sometimes you may lose 0.4lbs in a week, but the scales will just show round numbers so you'll feel dejected.

The WiiFit isn't the most accurate way of measuring weight, so don't worry about it's totalitarian screaming :D

Is there anything you can recommend we do?

Eat more. I'm not saying to eat LOADS, but up your intake a little. Your body has been used to a huge amount of food and it's in shock now as you've reduced it so much? Ypu may see a little gain, but this will be fluid/food in your system , and will settle down.

Take a look at the kinds of foods you're eating too, make sure you're getting plenty of protein to make sure you retain your muscle level (if you're not eating enough your body will use up muscle as well as fat- not good?)

The amount of exercise alone that you're doing should show results on the scales?
I weigh daily, sometimes twice a day, but this was an effort to see what kinds of foods (& totm) had what kind of effect on my weight. Now I don't freak so much if they go up or down a few lbs when I've had a 'dense' meal that takes time to digest, or get too excited if I've had a 'soup' day and am a few lbs lighter?
Get a regular set of scales for yourselves. I can't speak from experience, but have read on quite a few dieting sites how notoriously unreliable the Wii is?

Aye, the Wii Balance Board is an entertainment device. Add that to the fact that most people place it on a rug or on carpet and you get an unreliable set of scales whose main purpose is to ensure you're not over 23 stones (which is the Balance Board's maximum tolerance).

Good luck Scott with your diet. You and your partner will get there in the end. I certainly am.

Have you considered following an actual diet as in the past nothing has really worked for me long term until I started my current diet. I am now losing around a stone a month. Great motivation I can tell you! It is also all food supplied so I don't have to go out and get weighed in front of other people.

The diet I am now on is high protein, low carb and I am doing really well on it.

I don't know a lot about diets but since joining this site I have become much more aware and I am sure that you will find something for you both.

You will also find everyone will be as helpful as they can and will be here to help with motivation and congratulations.

Good luck Scott with your diet. You and your partner will get there in the end. I certainly am.

Have you considered following an actual diet as in the past nothing has really worked for me long term until I started my current diet. I am now losing around a stone a month. Great motivation I can tell you! It is also all food supplied so I don't have to go out and get weighed in front of other people.

The diet I am now on is high protein, low carb and I am doing really well on it.

I don't know a lot about diets but since joining this site I have become much more aware and I am sure that you will find something for you both.

You will also find everyone will be as helpful as they can and will be here to help with motivation and congratulations.

Can you go into detail more about the diet your on?

I'll pick up some normal scales as we do use the Wii on a carpet and sometimes when we have done more exercise and eaten the same we put on weight so.

Any recommendations for scales?

Hi, how are things going for you both?

Seeing the posts about the scales I may buy some new ones as I need to go to ASDA today, mine are just cheap and nasty ones and I never get an exact weight loss!

Can you go into detail more about the diet your on?

As I mentioned the diet is high protein and low carb and low G.I. and I think the other one is called low G.L., I don't quite know what they are but my doctor recommened I go on a low G.I. diet so I have.

It is called Go Lower, (If you google it you will get their website.) They send me boxes full of food which I just stick in the microwave. They also do soups for lunch or salami packs etc. The breakfast is yummy which you can add natural yougurt to with berries. They also send snack bars and nuts. The biggest thing for me though is the chocolate treats as I am a big choccie fan and they send them with the diet. I think that is why I am sticking to the diet so well because I get my chocolate fix!

If you have any other question about it have a look at their site or drop me a line.

Back