Are you addicted to food/sugar?

Goreygirl

Gold Member
Hi all

Just thought i'd share this as thought it might be helpful .. particularly to those who are giving out to themselves for self-sabotage / bingeing / falling off the wagon.

" There are many common characteristics among the various addictive behaviors:

[SIZE=+1] 1. The person becomes obsessed (constantly thinks of) the object, activity, or substance.[/SIZE][SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1] 2. They will seek it out, or engage in the behaivor even though it is causing harm (physical problems, poor work or study performance, problems with friends, family, fellow workers). [/SIZE][SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1] 3. The person will compulsively engage in the activity, that is, do the activity over and over even if he/she does not want to and find it difficult to stop.[/SIZE][SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1] 4. Upon cessation of the activity, withdrawal symptoms often occur. These can include irritability, craving, restlessness or depression. [/SIZE][SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1] 5. The person does not appear to have control as to when, how long, or how much he or she will continue the behavior (loss of control). (They drink 6 beers when they only wanted one, buy 8 pairs of shoes when they only needed a belt, ate the whole box of cookies, etc).[/SIZE][SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1] 6. He/she often denies problems resulting from his/her engagement in the behavior, even though others can see the negative effects. [/SIZE][SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1] 7. Person hides the behavior after family or close friends have mentioned their concern. (hides food under beds, alcohol bottles in closets, doesn't show spouse credit card bills, etc).[/SIZE][SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1] 8. Many individuals with addictive behaviors report a blackout for the time they were engaging in the behavior (don't remember how much or what they bought, how much the lost gambeling, how many miles they ran on a sore foot, what they did at the party when drinking)[/SIZE][SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1] 9.Depression is common in individuals with addictive behaviors. That is why it is important to make an appointment with a physician to find out what is going on. [/SIZE][SIZE=+1][/SIZE][SIZE=+1] 10. Individuals with addictive behaviors often have low self esteem, feel anxious if the do not have control over their environment, and come from psychologically or physically abusive families.[/SIZE][SIZE=+1][/SIZE] "

from What are addictive behaviors ?

Gg

Last edited:
I'm addicted to starchy carbs!! Always have been - soon won't be!! Xx

I'm addicted to pretty much anything, but definitely starchy carbs. Never been one for pies, pasties and chocolate bars though, or crisps either, but love pasta pasta and more pasta.

... love pasta pasta and more pasta.

but the extent is says in the article Chel? Eating it compulsively and out of control? Is it affecting your work? Social environment etc?

If we feel we have a truly addictive relationship with starchy carbs (i.e. sugar) then you have to work at your belief systems and addictive behaviours during the CD programme too. .. otherwise we stop abstinence and all the old behaviours risk rearing their head again.

Gg

pasta pasta mmmm carbs. the reason i cant do slimming world is put weight on i love my carbs so much an open invite to them is too much! X

Quite simply, yes.

but the extent is says in the article Chel? Eating it compulsively and out of control? Is it affecting your work? Social environment etc?

If we feel we have a truly addictive relationship with starchy carbs (i.e. sugar) then you have to work at your belief systems and addictive behaviours during the CD programme too. .. otherwise we stop abstinence and all the old behaviours risk rearing their head again.

Gg

Hello, fellow IrishCDer!

Back