Asda chick pea dahl anyone?

I've got 2 asda's near me. One does it and the other doesn't. I'll send you a tin if you like lol

I've got a tin in the cupboard, haven't tried it yet. OH had to ask the manager where to find it! Do you have it just with rice or with veggies as well :confused:

100503_164108.jpg

I've been doing red days the last week so was dying to get my chips in my mouth hahaha

Ingredients

2 can (15-oz) chickpeas
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 small onion; minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 tablespoon ground coriander (up to)
1 teaspoon red pepper powder (cayenne)
1 1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt; or to taste
2 tablespoon fresh lime juice

Directions: How to Cook Chickpea Dal (Kabuli Chana Dal)

Date: Sun, 23 Jun 1996 11:23:51 -0400

From: [email protected] This recipe is from INDIAN LIGHT COOKING, which I've told you about before. It is our *Fave* dal recipe so far. Quick & Easy to fix, too!

Remove 1 c. chickpeas (including the liquid) from 1 can of chickpeas. Drain. Coarsely chop. In a food processor or blender, process the remaining chickpeas and the liquid to a puree. Set aside.

Heat a nonstick saucepan over moderate heat. Add the cumin seeds and stir until they crackle, about 10 seconds. Add onion, ginger & garlic. Stir until onion is translucent. Add turmeric, coriander and red pepper. Cook, stirring, for about 20 seconds, being careful not to burn. Add tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer 1 minute. Add chopped & pureed chickpeas. Cook, stirring, 2-3 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Add salt to taste.* Remove from heat. Add lime juice and stir. YUM!

Serve with rice, whole wheat bread, and a yogurt salad (raitta). "For a special treat, try Piquant Lime Rice."

*we watch our sodium, so instead of using salt we doubled the lime juice. This would make a great party dip with pita triangles, if it were pureed a bit more completely.

FATFREE DIGEST V96 #174

From the Fatfree Vegetarian recipe list. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, http://www.erols.com/hosey.

=- Rate this Recipe -=

Very good

Thanks lou.. Probably be cheaper to and quicker to buy the tins wouldn't it

Nothing beats the satisfaction of sitting down to one you've made yourself - far better than just opening a can. This recipe looks good and is different to the one I've been using which has just about every vegetable known to man-kind in it and an extravagent amount of coconut! I was in my local asian shop tonight to pick up some black dahl to make dahl makhani but that might need to wait now!

Kim, I love chips, in fact I love potatoes in any shape or form!! :p

Louise, think I might try that recipe :eat: thanks! Is there a recipe for the tomato sauce?

I actually remembered to buy some of this tonight. Going to have it for dinner Thursday with brown rice, a super easy dinner for my hubby to prepare while I'm at collage! I am looking forward to it already :D

I went back and bought 10 tins today LOL!!

finally got hold of chicpea dahl

I've finally manged to get two tins of the chickpea dahl from asda. can't wait to try it again its been years since i had it :):D

I finally got hold of some last week, and it was SO much nicer than i imagined it would be!

I bought four tins no Saturday but my question is .. what do you do with it?

I bought some last week and hated it!!!!! Was disappointed because of all the great comments here. I thought it was a tasteless and bland. Looks like I'm in the minority though!

Back