Asda sold me out of date cheesecake

Sas101

Went asda today and I bought Ww from heinz strawberry cheesecake. Got home and ate it didn't taste all that but still ate it. Out of the blue my hubby was reading the label and the expiry date was NOVEMBER 2009!!!!! bare in mind I bought it today NOVEMBER 11 2010. I don't feel that good now. What shall I do, who do I contact to complain or do I need to speak to a solicitor?

i think they'd prob tell you you should have checked it before consuming it,,and because you've had no ill effects from it i doubt a solicitor would be able to do anything,,i'd bring the box back in with you receipt and complain and see wha they'll do,,

I think am gona go there and speak to customer services. Starlight ur right it could be cuz I know it's out of date that I feel like that hmm.

I don't really think you have a case, as they would argue you could have checked the best before date, and you're not seriously ill. People only really win these sort of cases if there's actually something in the food that shouldn't be - like metal or something. Hope you're not feeling too poorly though, but because it's cheesecake the only thing that can really go "off" is the milk in the cheese / butter and that's not too bad (as testified by the fact that you couldn't taste anything too off when you ate it!).

Still, definitely take the tin back to customer services at Asda - with your receipt (because it helps to show that you've not had it in your cupboard for ages) and they may give you some vouchers or something to compensate ^^

if you still have the packing & reciept then you could take it back, but your probably only feeling off because you know it was out of date but even so asda should be more awake!

Now I think that consumer trust is in these supermarkets to put food fit for human consumption on the shelves and that means food that is in date do argue that if they say that u should have checked it. Was it a best before, use by or sell by date on it coz a use by date is the only one that really means something...the other 2 are just consumer advice.

I'd also take it up with trading standards...or whatever authority it is that is authorised to do checks on the food that is on sale (I can't remember which authority it is!)

This is what I did 12 months ago when tesco sold some own brand crisps that were a month out of date.

I was thinking along the lines that WW Heinz had made a mistake in the dating of the item. And they would be able to trace it.

Hard to imagine the cheesecake has been wandering around for a year.

Irene xx

Last edited:
I would be tempted to have a look in Asda and see if there are any more with that date. Im suspecting its a date stamp problem, rather than an actual out of date item. Im sure Asda will be grateful to have it pointed out to them.

Ive been to the processing factories that supply companies like Asda and the quality control is exeptionally high, also, consider the turnover that these stores have. It would be almost impossible for such an out of date item to be in one of their stores, unless someone planted it there. But a year out of date? It would be going green by now. I would still tell Asda though, as it couldbe somethgn more sinister. Supermarkets have been targeted by blackmailers and nutcases in the past, so if this was genuinly an out of date item, they really need to know about it asap.

See would products go green if in the freezer as that's where I got it from.

I did think maybe it's a miss print but then looking at the package it does look lil tatty

The package says best before. Lildanni what happened with you and what did tesco do about it.

I would think its asda's fault cuz that's there job to get rid right.

How long has these particular cheesecake been out for?

I am gona go back tmw and see if any of the same cheesecake dates are the same or diffrent. At least if it is all out of date I can take all of them to customer services

Over here (in ireland) if something like that happens you send them a letter with sample (just buy another one tomorrow) and the company will send you vouchers or free stuff as a good will gesture.

See would products go green if in the freezer as that's where I got it from.

I did think maybe it's a miss print but then looking at the package it does look lil tatty

The package says best before. Lildanni what happened with you and what did tesco do about it.

I would think its asda's fault cuz that's there job to get rid right.

How long has these particular cheesecake been out for?

I was about to ask about the packaging. I bought a packet of crisps from Tesco a while ago and they were 2 years out of date too, turned out though the packaging wasnt the style the crisps had now and it was really tatty too. Looks like what had happened was it had fallen down the back of something and then ended up back on the shelf. Could be same kind of thing. You might find youve been unlucky and just picked up the one ood pack.

Worth going back though, like someone else said, at the very least youll probably get vouchers :)

It seems strange its been hanging around for a year without anyone buying it! let us know what they say.

I would definitely e-mail both Asda and Heinz ... You've got the packaging (with all the relevant details on) and the receipt. The shops just aren't allowed to sell out of date products. Its got nothing to do with you not checking!!!!

Although its not dates ... I found an Aldi Be Light packet of crisps in a Velvet Crunch bag brought from Sainsburys (they were made by the same manufacturer I found out later). I e-mailed Velvet Crunch people and Sainsburys. They were both most apologetic and I got some points from Sainsburys for about a fiver from member and a voucher for £5 from Velvet Crunch.

Try it --- its just an e-mail or two --- and let us know what happens.

Its best to write a letter, clearly defining what happened and including the packaging, or a picture thereof. They will send you a 10 quid voucher. If anything is wrong with anything I buy, I write a letter to the head office, I am always getting vouchers! One of the few benefits of mass produced food I guess :D

Back