Atkins Endulge Bars

Diddums

I'm on weeks two of induction and so far so good. I however bought a selection of Atkins bars from holland and barrats, choosing those that had less than 2g net carbs a bar. I accidentally picked up an indulge bar (2g) without noticing and had half of it yesterday before reading it's not suitable for phase 1. Does this matter? I factored it into my daily carb count so I was still under 20g.

Thanks for any help xx

Usually when items are stated as not suitable for Induction it is because they might interfere with your weight loss or maybe even take you out of ketosis.

The Atkins bars are yummy but they stall some people - myself included. Technically Atkins say you can have two products a day, no more, but many people who use two bars a day, or a bar and a shake, say, end up STS or seeing a very small loss that week.

If, however, your losses are not affected and you don't suddenly find food cravings coming back then I can't see a problem. Atkins never used to be what some americans now call 'a candy bar company'. The idea of Atkins years back was to clear junk out of the system and eat good clean healthy food. Food technology nowadays means they can produce high quality meal replacement bars that fit low carbing requirements but they contain polyols - sugar alcohols - which affect some people similarly to sugar.

I used to eat a lot of the meal replacement bars (Advantage) but have cut back. The Endulge bars are not meal replacements they are just 'candy bars' lol. Use sparingly, I would say, and keep an eye on how they affect you day to day.

So true Girly! Oh & Diddums, don't over indulge you will get a volcanic tummy!!! :)

Thanks everyone. They haven't seemed to stall me but I'm only on week two and only have half a bar at a time for dessert sometimes :) but will definitely keep an eye on losses :) xx

Hahaha...very lucky there Jules! ;)

girlygirl1 said:
Usually when items are stated as not suitable for Induction it is because they might interfere with your weight loss or maybe even take you out of ketosis.

The Atkins bars are yummy but they stall some people - myself included. Technically Atkins say you can have two products a day, no more, but many people who use two bars a day, or a bar and a shake, say, end up STS or seeing a very small loss that week.

If, however, your losses are not affected and you don't suddenly find food cravings coming back then I can't see a problem. Atkins never used to be what some americans now call 'a candy bar company'. The idea of Atkins years back was to clear junk out of the system and eat good clean healthy food. Food technology nowadays means they can produce high quality meal replacement bars that fit low carbing requirements but they contain polyols - sugar alcohols - which affect some people similarly to sugar.

I used to eat a lot of the meal replacement bars (Advantage) but have cut back. The Endulge bars are not meal replacements they are just 'candy bars' lol. Use sparingly, I would say, and keep an eye on how they affect you day to day.

Thanks for that tip was going to pop out and buy those bars (although expensive) and I probably wouldnt have limited myself either. Only my 3rd day so think ill steer clear for now. ;-)

I normally nuke the asparagus for a couple of mins,, then wrap with the bacon ( stuff ya cheese inside) Then pop in oven till crispy,,,, Bobs ya uncle

xx

Re: Atkins meal replacement bars. I'm one of the people that they stall so have cut them out altogether.

The way I see it is, Dr Atkins whose, lest we forget, diet this is, would never have allowed people to have Atkins bars. He was incredibly picky about sweeteners and sucralose is the only not super obscure one he advocated.

Atkins is now run by a corporation. Corporations don't want you to be slim, they want you to give them money. If you look on the atkins website, every suggested menu contains a bar or other product, often as a between meal snack, with no mention of the problems they can cause.

If these bars make the diet look more appealing to people, that's great for the corporation, and if it means they take longer losing weight and stay on the diet even longer, all the better. Most diet companies don't really want you slim, they just want you reliant on them.

Well said Rosebug!

It's driven by money and involves some pretty heavy and aggressive marketing. Having said that if one is absolutely desperate for a chocolate bar or some such it is better perhaps to have an Atkins or other low carb one than a 'regular' sugary one.

Bear in mind, though, that for some unfortunates these bars can be a slippery slope back to the real thing. (Horrors!).

Rosebug I am definitely inclined to agree with you. However because they don't stall me for now if I feel like something sweet I would prefer half an Atkins bar than a whole high carb chocolate bar.

I have found that I'm not craving junk food but sometimes I want something sweet after dinner and I don't really like MiMs.

I'm just amazed at the diet. I've chose the lowcarb as a way of life as well as weight loss as I'm insulin resistant. I am sticking to Atkins then when I get to goal will stay on a lowcarb diet with the odd carby treat if I want one. My brain still won't accept that I'm eating, never hungry and losing weight all at the same time lol but the scales are showing -5lb in a week and a half :)

Oh totally - a few weeks ago I had a Mexican chicken salad which was yummy but the taste stayed with me for hours. I stopped into boots and got an Atkins bar and are a bit just to take the taste away. They are by far and away better than getting desperate for something sweet and going for real chocolate.

I do really wish they could make them with less chemicals and sweeten with sucralose, though.

Rosebug it does seem strange that the Atkins products arent sweetened with sucralose. I guess in moderation it's fine and seeing as i have maybe 1-2 a week (half a bar at a time) i'm not going to worry too much. Thanks to my new lifestyle i now eat more veg than i used, eat smaller portions, dont really snack (or when i think about snacking by the time i get round to snacking i dont want it or just forget lol) so really it's done me a load of good!

Sucralose - Splenda - has carbs! Not that many but on Atkins any kind of artificial sweetener is limited. Splenda is 1 carb per tablet and 0.5 carbs per level teaspoon.

Splenda tablets have 0.075g carbs. 12 of them comes to just under 1 carb. Granulated splenda is about 1 carb per heaped teaspoon/packet because it is mixed with a bulking agent that stops it clumping together. I use candarel myself - the tablets - and grind them up.

Last edited:
Oh right! I had typed the opposite and thought I was wrong!

Canderel is aspartame which Dr Atkins was very much against. I use Hermesetas or similar, and also Sucralose/Splenda.

It can be hard to find (naughty) fizzy drinks that do not contain Aspartame (for those who wish to avoid it) but the Asda Free From range has none and I just love the cherry cola!

Back