atkins starter question

bubbles

hi all im about to start atkins again as the only thing that works for me is cutting the carbs.Just quick question when im looking at labels is it carb content that has to be low or the bit that says 'of which sugars' is it the sugar in carbs we avoid or the whole carbohydrate content? also i know diet coke isnt allowed on VLCDs can we drink on atkins? thanks!

The total carb content which is both sugars and starches.

Diet coke contains aspartame which Atkins says to avoid, however many drink it including me without any issues.

thank u someone told me its the sugar that stops going into ketosis so was confused! one more question was going to buy babybel cheese for snacks but now read cheese stalls some people?how as it has very little carb content. thanks!

Hi Bubbles and welcome. It's really a case of "suck it and see" with cheese and cream, they both stall me - but I have cheese as an occasional treat anyway :)

ok thanks will try as quite handy for snack, just trying to plan my food for next few days, think breakfast will be hardest i dont have much time in mornings!

Diet coke contains aspartame which Atkins says to avoid, however many drink it including me without any issues.

Hope you're right, I just had a bottle of Coke Zero! :D

And an Endulge bar...

I find it strange that cheese stalls people unless there are higher carb varieties. I live on cheesestrings and babybels!

isnt it weird how some people are effected by some stuff,i hope i can eat the cheese/diet coke!just off shopping think it may take a while reading labels lol :)

Couldnt touch either of these or Id stall right away.

:cry::cry::cry:

Darn it. Hope they don't hit me too bad. I 'had' to tho...was having massive cravings - it was either those or I was heading for a bit of a blowout!
:D

:cry::cry::cry:

Darn it. Hope they don't hit me too bad. I 'had' to tho...was having massive cravings - it was either those or I was heading for a bit of a blowout!
:D

This tends to be my thinking as well. And then I just hope for the best. Fingers crossed youre one of the lucky ones they dont stall.

Haha!

thank u someone told me its the sugar that stops going into ketosis so was confused! one more question was going to buy babybel cheese for snacks but now read cheese stalls some people?how as it has very little carb content. thanks!

It is sugar that stops you going into ketosis - the thing is, all carbohydrates are digested as sugar. So bread, potato, rice, all give you a strong hit of sugar to your system. Net carbs are only really for americans as their packaging is labelled differently, the carbohydrate count you need to look at is just the normal one.

Lactose, which is in cheese and milk, is also a sugar (anything ending in ose is) and that's why it can stall some people if their bodies are particularly reactive to it.

Endulge bars are from Atkins. They aren't allowed during induction phases. They are VERY yummy though.. I would have to avoid them as I couldn't have just one.. :)

you can find them on the atkins website.. you'll see.. they have chocolate coconut bars, caramel nougat bars, peanut butter cups.. etc

oh actually think ive tried one of their morning break bars I think they are called? are any of their bars allowed on induction? thats the problem if anything is too nice im bound to want more than one!

Hi bubbles and welcome. Generally worth staying off the bars if you can altho i have to admit i keep eyeing up the indulge bars :D

Back