Atkins: The Diet I Never Thought I'd Try

Hi Ginger, thank you!

I think the diet depends on the individual, the reasons for being overweight and so on. I didn't think I could handle Atkins because the changes I'd have to make to my diet were so significant. Before, I ate low fat versions of everything, a ton of carbs and sometimes a lot of sugar. Atkins is essentially high fat, very low carb and next to no sugar. I was also never a big meat eater, so wasn't sure how that would go.

The first couple of days I had cravings for things that weren't allowed. I was also overwhelmed by the Atkins rules, but they quickly became somewhat intuitive. For me, my biggest problem has always been portion control and overeating. I was just always hungry. The thing I love about Atkins and being in ketosis is that my appetite is, for the most part, under control. I don't have many cravings and I've enjoyed trying induction-friendly recipes for many of my favourite foods. I still find eating at restaurants a bit challenging, but overall I don't feel deprived and am never hungry. I'm naturally eating fewer calories without even trying to.

I've lost about 12lbs on Atkins since I started near the end of April. Some people - especially with as much weight as I have to lose - do a lot better than that. But I do have a bit of a thyroid problem and I haven't been exercising much at all (bad, i know) so those are also considerations. Prior to trying Atkins I'd been doing intermittent fasting, calorie restriction, you name it. In my opinion I was unhealthily obsessed with food and felt out of control more often than not. It wasn't a good situation for me, although others have had great success with JUDDD and similar. So again I think it all comes down to how you're wired and what your preferences and weaknesses are.

When I started Atkins I had a lot of reservations about it because it's quite a controversial diet. I researched it and felt fairly confident it could be a healthy way of eating...but that said I haven't gone for bloodwork or anything yet so can't vouch for it. I did have some problems with heartburn and some scary heart palpitations. I think the heartburn was definitely related to the way I was eating because I'm not used to consuming so much fat and I'd never experienced heartburn before then. I'm not positive about the heart palpitations. One thing I didn't like about Atkins was limiting low carb veggies, so I now eat as many leafy greens as I like and plenty of other veggies too as long as they don't make me go over on my daily carb allotment.

I hope my long rambly answer has been of some use to you! Good luck with whichever diet you choose to do! :)

Water weight is so strange. I got caught up in my work this morning and forgot to eat, so decided to hop on the scale again before making lunch. (Yes, I know I'm silly.) This time the scale said 198.2!!!! Um, I didn't pee that much this morning, LOL. But I'm thrilled! I hope this morning was the last time I ever see the 200s - good riddance!

Oohhh the 100s are sooooo close!!! x

This afternoon I had a bit of a slip up. I had to make a specific dessert that had banana, sugar and milk chocolate chips in it. A bit of it stuck to the baking dish so I ate that part. I don't know if it will be enough to throw me out of ketosis as I didn't eat much, but it had plenty of off limits ingredients in it. It was definitely stress eating and I'm not going to beat myself up over it...I'll just get back on track right away. I will try to keep the next few days well below 20g net carbs to make up for it. I've already prepared most of tomorrow's food to make it nice and easy on myself.

Can I join in? I'm on day 6 of low carb, mostly rose Elliot veggie version of Atkins but with some fish and using some Atkins stuff. I loved this forum for each diet I've done (and there are many) but finding the Atkins/low carb forum a bit quiet this time

Woohoo Canadian your doing great. Don't worry about the slip up shouldn't make any real difference. So difficult when you have to cook for others. I scoff lots of my hubbys dinner while I'm cooking it. x

Thanks, coffeelover! I definitely went back to that old mentality of "well, I've messed up already so why not binge?" - scary how fast those old thought patterns can reappear! But I didn't binge, so at least there's that.

Can I join in? I'm on day 6 of low carb, mostly rose Elliot veggie version of Atkins but with some fish and using some Atkins stuff. I loved this forum for each diet I've done (and there are many) but finding the Atkins/low carb forum a bit quiet this time

Hi, of course you can! I'm not familiar with that but I take it it's a vegetarian version of Atkins? That sounds tricky! How are you finding your first week?

It is tricky so often massively under calories and have double cream - so that's ok!!! I lost 2 dress sizes on it a few years ago. Really craving bread! Going to get some livlife from waitrose 3.5g carbs per slice!!!

If sounds too good to be true...it is:). Just be careful folks about any substitutes that might kick off cravings xx

Thanks so much for that lovehatecarbs- I got it!! It's very good and more importantly can bring it to work and not have 20 people ask me what I'm eating and look at me like I'm some kind of freak with my lettuce wraps. Per slice it's 68 calories - 2.4 grams of fat - 3.8 grams of carbs. Especially good toasted and because of the seeds it's very filling. But like Katie said just be careful not to have too much.
livlife-pack-shot.png

If sounds too good to be true...it is:). Just be careful folks about any substitutes that might kick off cravings xx
I agree but I'm really struggling with lunches and my lifestyle - so either not eating, or having an Atkins Shake then have loads of calories left at end of day. I think it will keep me on track.

Thanks so much for that lovehatecarbs- I got it!! It's very good and more importantly can bring it to work and not have 20 people ask me what I'm eating and look at me like I'm some kind of freak with my lettuce wraps. Per slice it's 68 calories - 2.4 grams of fat - 3.8 grams of carbs. Especially good toasted and because of the seeds it's very filling. But like Katie said just be careful not to have too much. .
I know what you mean - I can't really eat salads at work - I need a quick eat at your desk lunch that I enjoy and doesn't make me hate the diet! Almond micro bread nice but too many calories for regular use.

When June rolled around I struggled with getting back into an exercise routine. I don't know why. Making myself exercise always takes mountains of effort, then I do it and remember it's actually kind of enjoyable...so silly! Anyway, today I finally talked myself into it and had a really good workout. I'd done C25K this winter and once I reached the end of the program I just sort of stopped cold turkey, so I had no idea where I'd be at in terms of stamina.

Today I was able to jog for the whole half hour so was pleased I won't have to start the whole program over. I also did some crunches and pushups using the exercise ball (love that thing) and some repetitions with the 5lb hand weights. I don't really care about having muscles and I think I already have decent body strength...I just want to lose the unsightly flab.

I've always carried a lot of my weight in my midsection - and when I've been in the 200+ range, have been self-conscious of my double chin too. (As I'm finally below 200lbs, past experience tells me I should be back to one chin before long, woohoo! :p) I guess it must have been a long time coming but I honestly didn't notice...one day I looked in the mirror and was horrified by my arms. They've gotten awfully flabby and I'm even getting some stretch marks there. I really want to do something about them if it isn't too late.

Sometimes I look at my body and feel really bad, like I've already caused it all kinds of damage that no amount of weight loss can reverse. I know most women have issues with cellulite and stretch marks even if they're not overweight. I've only begun to notice cellulite this year and am not pleased. As for stretch marks, puberty was not kind to my skin. The good news is a lot of them are fading from red to white, and since I have a fair complexion they aren't all that noticeable anymore. I worry about having loose skin if/when I finally get this weight off, too. I know someone who had a tummy tuck and breast lift after losing about 70lbs but I hate the thought of surgery.

Anyway, I'm not posting all this just to be pessimistic. All the reading I've done lately about dry brushing has me really hopeful I might be able to improve the look of my skin. I'm mainly doing it to help with stretch marks and cellulite and in the hopes of preventing loose skin...but I'd also be interested to see if the little bit of rosacea (?) I have on my upper arms improves. Last night I tried the dry brushing and, while it's obviously way too soon to see any results, my skin feels so soft! And it might sound strange but I felt incredibly relaxed and almost euphoric after I'd done it. (Maybe I'm just weird!)

As we all know I have trouble sticking with things but I want to give it a fair shot. So I will keep at it and post the results, if any, here in case anyone else is interested! :)

Last edited:
Do you do any weight training or strength exercises? They're supposed to help with toning up rather than loads of cardio. Don't feel too down. You're on a journey to getting fitter and healthier x

I don't work out much at all, and the only strength training I do is the occasional set of repetitions with 5lb hand weights. I think I just naturally have a fair bit of muscle mass. I know I need to do better with both cardio and strength training...not even for skin tightening but just to be healthier overall.

Today was chaotic and I didn't get a chance to weigh myself. I'll try to remember tomorrow. I feel like I may be overindulging in things like cream, peanut butter and cheese lately, so if the scale doesn't budge I may go back to a stricter way of eating and using MFP for a while. I seem to be much more mindful when I'm tracking, probably because I'm lazy and don't want to have to track any more than necessary so eat very clean and simple. :p

Though I felt just fine last night, today I'm very sore. My calves ache from the jogging, and my abs are soooo sore from the situps! Even my arms are sore. To me that's the sign of an effective workout. :) I plan to do a similar workout tomorrow.

Tonight I'm absolutely exhausted and have a headache. It was stressful and sad day, so it's no wonder - it's definitely emotional fatigue and not physical. I don't think I will bother with the dry brushing tonight as I don't feel like going to the effort...I just want to curl up in bed and sleep for a decade. But I will make sure to do it tomorrow.

So I just found out there are way more carbs in spaghetti squash than I thought. I could swear I looked it up but yeah. I'm still in ketosis but I imagine I've set myself back a bit on the weight loss this week. I'm going to start using MFP again for a while because I really want to be in the 180s by July!

Back