Atkins: The Diet I Never Thought I'd Try

I finally managed to turn things around today. Net carbs came in right at 20g and everything else looks to be more or less on target as well. I don't think I'm going to worry about avoiding red meat right now...one less thing to get overwhelmed with while life is stressful. But I will try to eat more fish and chicken. It feels good to have a handle on things again - now I just have to do the same thing tomorrow...and the next day...and the next day... ;)

I had what felt like a huge breakfast this morning (omelet loaded with veggies and coffee with almond milk and coconut oil), but it's actually right on target - 1/3 of my daily...everything. I've been struggling with migraines for days due to stress. Since I like to space any pills I take out and I've been having to take painkillers around the clock just to be able to function I haven't been good about taking my multivitamin, potassium or cranberry supplements. And I've not been able to do my workouts as exercise aggravates my headaches. At least the eating is on track...

Ugh, more lecturing from the same person (my mother!) about the amount of fat I'm eating. This coming from a woman who binges on sugar like no one else I've ever met and thinks her weight problem is a big joke. The funny thing is I always come in a bit too low on my fat intake according to MFP. I wish I'd never told her what I'm doing, but I felt like I had to - in vague terms - because we went out to eat a while back and she wondered why I was having such a difficult time ordering. I wish she'd mind her own business!

Oooh lectures are brutal when everyone thinks they're right, but they must see your weight loss!

Some of us are on MFP if you want to have a look just click on little blue mfp logo above my avatar and below my name- although I'm not low carbing atm.;)

She knows I've lost some weight and is supportive of that and to an extent my avoidance of sugars and (some) starches, but she insists I must be "misunderstanding" the diet I'm following because surely I'm not supposed to eat so much fat. Today I finally lost patience with her and said it's insulting she thinks I'm too stupid to make my own informed decisions about my own body. So irritating! With everything else that's going on the last thing I need is grief from her right now!

Click on the MFP thing and try add as a friend, then you'll be able to see other people's stuff. I'm not logging at the moment but feel free to add me too :)

Missing your posts x

Sorry ladies! I'm still around...just fell off the wagon and was too ashamed to admit it, I guess, so I stayed away. :eek:

I'm up about 4lbs and am no longer in ketosis, but have been eating lower carb again the past little while. I aim to stay under 20g every day and usually fail, but I think I'm staying well under 50g most of the time. If I was working out (and not having MAJOR cheats every few days) maybe I'd have a better shot of getting back in ketosis. What can I say? I'm lazy and unmotivated and self-sabotaging! ;) I will try to do better.

Hope you're all well, I promise to catch up on your diaries very soon!

You're here! 4lbs is nothing! It will go in no time :) Even if you fall off the wagon, log on and confess, it will keep you accountable :D Don't disappear on us again! x

Just popping in to say that I'm restarting today. Halfheartedly making low carb food choices isn't going to cut it, so I am going to commit to 100 days of proper low carbing, tracking and all. For no reason other than that 100 has a nice ring to it. That will take me to December 2, and I'm really excited to see how much I can lose by then!

I also am going to step up the exercise, something I've really been neglecting lately. I especially want to resume jogging, but I'm also going to try some new things. I've been interested in Zumba for one, though I think I may just find a video and try in the privacy of my own home to begin with! :D

122 by my count. I am not ready to say goodbye to the summer yet! It always feels like the warm weather is so short-lived and the cold lasts forever!

Last edited:
I had a pretty good workout yesterday! Over the winter I had done C25K but didn't keep up with it. I thought I might need to start over, but I decided to try jogging for the full 30 minutes. It was fine. I actually could have gone for longer! Then I did a bit with weights, crunches and squats, though I need to figure out an actual routine as far as those go.

As for food, I think I need to simplify things. If I limit my food choices and stick to very simple meals with only a few ingredients, it should make tracking it a lot less tedious and time-consuming. I need to think on it and come up with a plan.

Back