Attn Medics please - very fast pulse

Redpam

Living the Life
I have been having problems with my pulse. Although I have not been doing anything very strenuous it is very high.

On Sunday I was doing nothing but when I did my blood pressure and my pulse was 96. In the evening it had dropped to 70 which is about normal for me. So I did not worry.

Today I went shopping and then had my nails done. I came home got lunch and that is all. KI put a chicken in the oven and was feeling quite light headed so I did my blood pressure.

I did it 3 times over about 10 mins and these are the results
1. 156/88 pulse 105
2. 146/88 pulse 99
3. 155/85 pulse 100

Bearing in mind I am 65. I am 5'10" tall and weight 18st 12lb

I know I have got to get this weight off but I have never felt like this before. I am also a little breathless. At least my husband keeps saying I am not breathing properly.

Is it something that I should get to the doctors with? Or am I worrying about nothing? I dont like this spaced out feeling.

I'd get to a doctor hun, that doesn't sound right and I think you need it looked at properly x

Thanks Taz.

I have spoken to a friends daughter who is a paramedic in England and shee thinks a trip to the doctors in order to put my mind at rest is a good idea too. We belong to a private medical clinic and the Doctor on duty on Friday afternoons speaks English so I think I will go to see him. Dont think my Portuguese is good enough yet for medical explanations lol.

One thing though, my Doctor in England said that as long as the diastolic (lower) reading is under 100 you dont have anything to worry about. But the Paramedic said that now if it is over 80 you need to have it looked at. Is this so?

Pam

I have been having problems with my pulse. Although I have not been doing anything very strenuous it is very high.

On Sunday I was doing nothing but when I did my blood pressure and my pulse was 96. In the evening it had dropped to 70 which is about normal for me. So I did not worry.

Today I went shopping and then had my nails done. I came home got lunch and that is all. KI put a chicken in the oven and was feeling quite light headed so I did my blood pressure.

I did it 3 times over about 10 mins and these are the results
1. 156/88 pulse 105
2. 146/88 pulse 99
3. 155/85 pulse 100

Bearing in mind I am 65. I am 5'10" tall and weight 18st 12lb

I know I have got to get this weight off but I have never felt like this before. I am also a little breathless. At least my husband keeps saying I am not breathing properly.

Is it something that I should get to the doctors with? Or am I worrying about nothing? I dont like this spaced out feeling.

I'm not a medic but a student nurse, so i'm going to help to the best of my ability

How did you measure your pulse and blood pressure and how did you know it went so high? were you do anything strenuous, for example just walked up the stairs etc or feeling a bit anxious? Was it 96 systolic or diastolic?

What's your blood pressure usually? the 3 readings there, on average, are high- but i don't know whats normal for you really.

The best thing i can suggest is maybe take 2 4 hourly recordings over this weekend of your blood pressure, one when you're standing and the other when sitting down- and take it with you to the doctors this week; asap!

Oh and the paramedic is wrong, it's ok if its below 100, however it's the systolic we're more concerned at when looking at hypertension (high blood pressure)

Back