ProPoints Azwethinkweiz (Sarah)s new food diary!

Thanks Carly, have plenty to go though ;) x

Where's my sleep... Aaaaaargh!!

Sent from my Galaxy S using MiniMins

Hi
I stopped posting on minimins a while back however I log on the odd time for motivation :)

I saw that you're struggling to find support for your depression so hopefully the following helps you a bit:

Pieta House in Lucan, Co. Dublin http://www.pieta.ie/urgent-suicide-help.html would be a good place to start, they do provide free counselling.

There are student counsellors i.e. people that aren't fully qualified as psychologists that do offer sessions at a cheaper rate, however I don't know if they're any good or not.

With regard to GPs and psychologists, definitely ask a friend/family member who they would recommend. A GP should definitely monitor your dosage for any anti-depressants that you're on and put you on the lowest dose for your symptoms at the time. As there is a shortage of GP's in Ireland, they don't really have a lot of time for patient care so it's essential that you push push push. Ask all the questions you need to ask, that's what you're paying them for.

GROW do support groups for people who suffer from depression: http://www.grow.ie/

Aware do support groups across Ireland and they started online support group meetings too. They also have a "life skills programme" on the website to help improve people's coping skills and help them manage their depression better. The mood diary there is good to monitor your symptoms.

Headstrong http://www.headstrong.ie/content/resources-0 is another Irish charity set up Tony Bates, a clinical psychologist because he saw how poor the Irish mental health care system was. Tony Bates is on the Marian Finuncane show on RTE Radio One a lot, he did a really good piece recently about mindfulness and how its good for depression: RTÉ.ie Radio1: Marian Finucane - Tony Bates Psychology Series
(you can listen to it online). He seems like a lovely therapist :)

I think CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) would probably be your best bet; if you can't get access to therapy, then medication, support groups and buying a few CBT books and doing the exercises in them would be good. Obviously having a therapist to motivate you with regards to the CBT would be ideal but this would be the next best thing.

CBT has a 70% success rate for depression but I would say that you get out of it what you put into it, like everything else. I like "The Feeling Good Handbook" by David Burns and "Overcoming Low Self-Esteem" by Melanie Fennell (they're both CBT books). They're both about €15-20 each which isn't bad really considering. You can get them on amazon.com or else Easons etc would have them.

This website http://www.studentdepression.org/ is probably the best one I've come across in terms of understanding depression, how to deal with it etc.

I posted other CBT links a while back:

http://www.minimins.com/bring-your-head-inside-your-body-will-follow/238781-cbt-links.html

If you could get a Weight Watchers "SWITCH" handbook, that would also help you with your depression as a lot of it is CBT really. I think ebay would have it. It had 10 winning habits (make wise food choices, be active, manage your thoughts, manage your feelings, learn from experience, sort your surroundings, get support, measure and record, plan ahead, take care of yourself)..I'm not sure if the current plan has this or not!

This is a nice mindfulness exercise. Mindfulness is good for depression as it helps keep you calm and it prevents relapse. Walking Meditation with Thich Nhat Hanh - YouTube

Instant Mindfulness

I obviously don't expect you or anyone else to do *all* of these options, pick the options you like best. :)

Oh I would also avoid alcohol, sugary food and caffeine because they cause your blood sugar to spike so this would probably lead to mood swings. What you eat can definitely help make you feel better..and obviously weight loss too yay:) If I'm stressed, then chamomile tea is good, plus I've heard that evening primrose oil and vitamin B12 tablets are good for stress. Omega 3 is good for depression-its in almonds, seeds, oily fish-fish like salmon, sardines, mackerel. You can get omega 3 supplements either. Nice warm bowls of soup are very soothing (and nutritious) too if you're feeling bad, ditto hot water bottle in bed and nice pyjamas.

Thank you very much for all that info, I'll definitely look into it. CBT seems to be the thing that everyone is recommending but no one had told me how to go about it.
I haven't slept a wink all night, very bad night... That definitely hasn't set me up for a good day today!

Dubchick81 said:
Sarah I think I may have the WW Switch book at home.. i'll have a look and let you know.. If I do, and you want it I'll pop it in the post. x

I've never heard of it even lol! You don't have to do that for me :)

Hi sarah
How ru? Sorry i bin awol x
Sounds like ur having a hard time, wots happened with Sean? I hav missed so much x
;-)

He broke it off over a text because I'm going through a bad bout of depression Liz. I haven't heard from him since. I'm just trying to get through this tough patch without him now.

azwethinkweiz said:
He broke it off over a text because I'm going through a bad bout of depression Liz. I haven't heard from him since. I'm just trying to get through this tough patch without him now.

Ah darlin im really sorry to hear that hun! Some Fellas r useless hun! U will find someone better hun, take care of yourself xxx

Wishbird007 said:
Ah darlin im really sorry to hear that hun! Some Fellas r useless hun! U will find someone better hun, take care of yourself xxx

Yeah I've decided he isn't worth it if he'd just abandon me when times get tough! I'll just have to look after number 1 for now xx

azwethinkweiz said:
Yeah I've decided he isn't worth it if he'd just abandon me when times get tough! I'll just have to look after number 1 for now xx

It's as the saying goes... If he can't b there for the bad times... He doesn't deserve to b there for the good times :D

Dubchick81 said:
It's as the saying goes... If he can't b there for the bad times... He doesn't deserve to b there for the good times :D

You're so right!! X

azwethinkweiz said:
You're so right!! X

I heartily agree!!! Xx

Wishbird007 said:
I heartily agree!!! Xx

Yup. No more tears will be wasted on him methinks. What a ****head he is. Grrrr.
My mum is on for ringing a counselor today. I'm very nervous about it. The guy who did the psychiatric assessment... I didn't like him at all so came imagine I'll like a counselor either.

azwethinkweiz said:
Yup. No more tears will be wasted on him methinks. What a ****head he is. Grrrr.
My mum is on for ringing a counselor today. I'm very nervous about it. The guy who did the psychiatric assessment... I didn't like him at all so came imagine I'll like a counselor either.

Hi hun
I hope u get a nice friendly cllr!!
Gud luk x ;-)

Hey hunnie...

Lets know how your Mam gets on with a councellor.. And don't forget.. They are plenty of them out there so if you dont feel 100% with the first, you can go to another... You have to feel comfortable and confident with him/her to feel able to be 100% honest.. Good luck x

Sarah hope your mum finds someone for you. I worked with a few counsellors up there in Monaghan and they were all really lovely. I think they cover were you are from too. Just relax and tell them everything. They can help x

Back