Babies heartbeat

Hi hun,
Great news on the doppler, I could hear the heartbeat but are you sure it's babies ? seemed a bit slow - might just have been the vid transmission.. or my hearing! lol
If you take your own pulse (on your neck) while listening to it that'll give you an idea. It should be alot faster - around 130+ beats per min.
My reading at the midwifes a couple of weeks ago was 140.

Yeah i listened to my own through it and it was a lot clearer n louder. This one was d only other one i picked up.

Thats way too slow to be babies sorry, when I do it is sounds like a racing train! It takes a bit of fidgeting round to find it sometimes, start lower than you'd think, just over the pubic bone right in the middle and see what else you can find.

There are lots of big blood vessels in the abdomen, so it's easy to pick up your own and it can sound different according to whether you've picked up a vein or an artery etc, but it will be much slower (around 60-90 beats per minute compared to 140-180 beats per minute for baby).

Thats your heartbeat doll.. Keep trying though.. a lot of midwifes cant always pick up a heartbeat at 13 weeks mind.. so dont lose heart..!!
I managed to find it from abotu 16 weeks onwards on Dyls
x x

At least you get to play till you find it! lol it is very much like a racing train. :) or galloping horses! lol

lol mines a horsey as I own a pony! lol reminds me of him! lol

A normal fetal heart rate is between 110-160 beats per minute, maternal heart rate sounds more like a swoosh then a tapping sound. Please be careful buying your own doppler, it may cause you a lot of unnecessary worry if you are not sure how to use it. Also 12wks is very early to be using it as your uterus is barely out of the pelvis yet.

Debbie xx (student midwife)

Hi Hunni,

how exciting!! any news on the baby's heart beat yet??

i appreciate everyones worries, but I think if you are sensible, you can have a lot of fun listening to baby, just dont panic if yu cant find it, baby is well hidden in there!!

Keep me posted though!! I can't wait to hear my littles beans heart beat whooshing away!

xxx

so has everyone else heard the heart beat at their midwives appointment? I have had 2 appointments and they didnt scan me or anything....then again my first midwife cancelled on me twice, saw me the once said call back to make an appointment around 15th -18th week, I didthat to find she had moved practices and i no longer had a midwife!!! made another appointment with another midwife an she said 'so you didn't see your midwife at 12 weeks?..(me=no!)..so she didnt take a blood sample?..(me=no!) so she didnt tell you to bring a wee sample each time......? you get the idea. I think my first midwife was sh1t and the second is running to catch up with where the first one fell down. So, am I supposed to have heard the heart beat from my midwife, cos I would have liked to, I am not feeling any kind of movement, though I am blowing up like a ballooon! oh anyway have my 20 week+ few days scan next week. Hope everything will be alright then

so has everyone else heard the heart beat at their midwives appointment? I have had 2 appointments and they didnt scan me or anything....then again my first midwife cancelled on me twice, saw me the once said call back to make an appointment around 15th -18th week, I didthat to find she had moved practices and i no longer had a midwife!!! made another appointment with another midwife an she said 'so you didn't see your midwife at 12 weeks?..(me=no!)..so she didnt take a blood sample?..(me=no!) so she didnt tell you to bring a wee sample each time......? you get the idea. I think my first midwife was sh1t and the second is running to catch up with where the first one fell down. So, am I supposed to have heard the heart beat from my midwife, cos I would have liked to, I am not feeling any kind of movement, though I am blowing up like a ballooon! oh anyway have my 20 week+ few days scan next week. Hope everything will be alright then

they only started checking the heartbeat at my appointments when i was about 28 weeks.. dun why
x x

Hi Angie, with this being your first you're likely to feel movement between 20 and 22 weeks. When it's your second or after, you can feel it anytime from 16 weeks so don't compare to those of us who have popped them out before ;)

My midwife listened at 16 weeks but they all seem to be different.

Aww dont worry hunni, this second midwife sounds like she is going to do everything to get you up to speed!!

bet you are sooo excited for your 20 week scan! you will have to put piccies up when you have it so we can all see your baby!!

xxx

mine have listened at 11 weeks and 16 but I honestly think this is because she's a trainee.

I hope that the new midwife catches up sooner rather than later and all is fine for your scan. Movements are a funny thing as they are felt earlier in subsequent pregnancies than the first - I think there is a a memory section of the brain that makes you remember what the feelings are.
I'm sure baby will be growing well - did mw check your tummy? They take the measurement of your womb/uterus and that should be in line with your dates.

Good luck for next weeks scan - I've got mine a week today. Fingers x'd for us both.

Mrs DD - how did you get on with your doppler?

Angie hun, this is my 3rd baby and I didn't feel movement till 20 weeks so don't worry. MW did check heartbeat at 16 week appointment but I know with my previous pregnancies it wasn't checked till 20 weeks. You will have your scan soon that will put your mind at ease.

thanks guys, that's made me feel better, no my mw didn't check my tummy. Am just holding out for my scan next week. I am getting the odd sharp twinge like I am being poked from inside with a pencil and am swelling daily, so hope that the scan will put all my angst to rights....

lol that most likely is baby moving! :) Hope your scan goes well.. have just asked on the other thread about it! lol
And glad your bump is growing too - always a great sign. MW's seem to do things differently everywhere! :D
can you believe you're halfway there?! Time is flying eh?

Time certainly is flying! my scan is tomorrow afternoon, it will put my mind at rest, am fed up with people asking if I have felt any flutters yet....feel like yellng 'no!!!!' cos if there is fluttering, I'm not feeling it! but i am getting the odd pain or stitch. When I say this, the response is
'no that can't be movement, it's not supposed to hurt'.....
we'll it's not exactly pain, its a sharp feeling, like a small prod from the inside but definitely not a 'flutter'....
oh anyway, I will know if everything is alright by tomorrow
if everything is alright I want to know the sex if possible, have even thought of booking in for a 3d scan in Truro, will keep all you peeps informed of what's going on soon =)

Good luck for tomorrow! Ours is Wed am so not long after yours. :)
Hope all is fine and baby is just swimming in a lovely pool! lol
Also that you find out the sex.. we are hoping too.. would love a 3d scan but not sure we are going to be able to afford one.. we'll see nearer the time.

Back