Baked apple and mincemeat

donna88

Gold Member
Before Christmas I had baked apple and mincemeat as my HEB quite a lot, but I used to weigh the apple before baking. I've noticed it says in the new books that the weight is cooked weight.

How much heavier is an apple when raw? I don't want to cook too little or way too much

You could always batch cook enough for a few days and reheat them in the microwave. If you weigh each of them before and after cooking it should give you an idea of the raw weight to use in future. Sorry I haven't done baked apples so no idea of the weight difference.

I made it the other night, I measured 225g raw weight which left me with a bit of an apple left (I used about 3 small ones) so I just cut the rest of the last one up and baked the lot, there ended up just being a tiny bit left over which my boyfriend ate.

Making a big batch up and re-heating is a great idea though, as when I used to make it before I used to also heat the mincemeat up, which I didn't bother doing the other night (was still very nice mind)

I'm going to look at buying some proper cooking apples to do it over the next few days :)

Back