Bank Charges

kazz

Gold Member
I've been hearing a lot about the returned payment and unauthorised overdrafts charges that the banks levy on us being illegal, and that people are being urged to reclaim them.

I'm just wondering if anyone has actually tried to reclaim those charges and what the outcome has been....I'm strongly considering it, but kind of want to know how other people have fared before I bother!! The one I REALLY dont like is where they charge you for an unpaid item, and then charge you again because that charge sent you into an unauthorised overdraft and then charge you interest on top of that!!!

I haven't heard about this! Have just 'sorted myself out', and am slowly but surely paying off my debts, but if it was true I would be owed at least £300!

Not sure about those circumstances but i always complain like mad if i get charged for an unpaid item....even if its my fault (not very often)
I call up, moan alot, plead innocence and that its not my fault, blame stuff on them, get shirty THEN they usually refund the charge!! a bit cheeky i know.....

I'll be watching this thread with interest ... we've been charged literally thousands over the years. It really ticks me off being charged £39 for an unpaid direct debit of £4!

I haven't tried to reclaim anything because I'm a bit embarrassed about being so rubbish with money: it's not the charges I object to so much - it's the LEVEL they're set at ... excessive to say the least. They say it's for 'admin charges' but how much can it cost to push a button? We don't even get a letter: it's all via the internet!

I also feel it's a bit like 'David and Goliath' ... can we REALLY win against these huge banks with all their financial clout to back them?

Have read through the first link, and have just been through my statements online, and am now livid! These barstewards owe me £250 (at least, have only been through my current account, not been through our joint account yet) that has been taken unlawfully!

Grrrrrrrr!

I probably am owed a fortune as well, just not sure if anyone has successfully claimed money back from a bank over here!! They really really annoyd me today which prompted this whole thing....they are just about to charge me £38 for an unpaid item, and then another £38 for going over my OD....this item is £8.03 and it isnt even my fault cos the company who are collecting it made a mess of the dates!!!

I probably am owed a fortune as well, just not sure if anyone has successfully claimed money back from a bank over here!! They really really annoyd me today which prompted this whole thing....they are just about to charge me £38 for an unpaid item, and then another £38 for going over my OD....this item is £8.03 and it isnt even my fault cos the company who are collecting it made a mess of the dates!!!

Hi Kazz, which bank are you with?

Tatty x

HEY KAREN MY BUDDY FROM PLYMOUTH DID THIS AND GOT ALL HERS BACK, IT WAS QUITE EASY .....FOR HER LOL. SHE HAS BEEN TRYING TO GET ME TO CLAIM MINE BACK THEY OWE ME BOUT £700 FOR DIFFERENT CHARGES. :mad:

THINK ITS SOMETHING LIKE CONSUMER ACTION . CO.UK BUT COULD BE WRONG, I WILL TEXT KAREN AND ASK HER TO COME ON AND LET YOU KNOW, ALL BANKS SETTLE OUT OF COURT AS THEY DONT WANT THE HASSLE OR THE BAD PRESS.

I'm doing it as well! The charges are deemed 'unlawful' because they are disproportionately high compared to the true cost of sending out an automated letter. I love martin lewis!

I'm going to check mine out -would be great to get back!

We have two accounts and its just bad management on my part that a DD takes me overdrawn - they never bounce it but charge me £30 for each DD they pay when overdrawn as well as the unauthorised OD charge - seeing as i have multiple DDs coming out on the same day i regularly have months that we pay £140 plus in charges! Sends me into a red rage!!! Especially as i know its our own fault!

Back