Bella's Marathon Training

Bella30

Silver Member
Earlier this week I signed up to do the Shine London Marathon Walk on October 1st and have decided to write a diary on here in the hope that I can stay motivated during my training programme.

Other than losing weight, this is the biggest challenge I have ever set myself and if I can commit to it, then I know I will be able to do anything!

For the next 12 weeks, I will be enduring an intense training programme, but am ready for it because I need it. I have lost all motivation recently and have been back on the binging cycle which has once again got the better of me, so I hope this challenge will not only help me raise money for a good cause, but will also help me on my journey to being the slim, happy person I know I can be.

I had the choice to do the half or full marathon and have opted for the full 26.2 miles. Weeks 1-3 is my preparation period and involves walking 2-3 miles a day. I’m going to vary it with morning, lunchtime and after work routes to keep it varied and I will be starting on Monday so will let you know how I get on.

Wish me luck! :party0011:

Good luck Bella!

By accident (I got lost!) I walked about half that today in 4.5 hours, and I gotta say, I am TIRED. I would NOT have been able to walk that same distance again!

So I admire you for signing up for this! I think you're being very sensible by doing proper preparation. Are you doing it with friends or on your own?

Oh, and do you know the website www.walkjogun.net? You can use it to plot any routes you take and determine how far you walked. If you sign in, the site also tells you the elevation profile of the walk you did, so gives you data on any hilly bits.

I use it to track every walk, run or cycle I do - allows you to keep a really accurate training diary.

Good luck! And have fun :)

SL xxx

Thanks, SL! :) I'm actually doing it on my own, but my mum and sister are tempted to do it so going to try and convince them to sign up too!

I think it's going to be really tough, but have to get in the right mind frame if I want to complete it! Well done on your (accidental) walk today and also thanks for the website. I wasn't aware of that so will check it out.

Hope you're not feeling too exhausted! :)

Last edited:
Week 1, Day 1:

Tracked 3.04 miles in 57.27 mins and burnt 379 calories. Took a bit longer than I thought but I was wearing my new walking boots and they felt a bit heavy on my feet so think it might take a bit of time to get used to them!

Last edited:
Hi Bella,
so agree with Snakes and ladders, total admiration, best of luck with all the hard work, you should feel very proud of your commitment, will be a pleasure to share your progress, looking forward to your posts.:party0038:

Thank you so much mspiggy! :) It's given me the motivation and determination I've been lacking for a while now!

Week 1, Day 2:

Tracked 2.40 miles in 43.40 mins and burnt 303 kcals. Walking boots felt a bit better today but they still need wearing in.

Cheerin you on hun,
more than 2 miles? thats FAR, but then it comes from a woman who would only run if she thought she was going to miss the icecream van. Keep on keepin on. :whacky068:

good luck bella!
i found 13.1 miles painful on the legs, but did not do any training for it

Thanks Gina! It's definitely going to be interesting to see whether I can do it! I'm sure I will but probably won't be able to walk for a week afterwards!!! Hope you're ok.

mspiggy - you crack me up! ;)

So, Week 1, Day 3:

I did an early morning walk today at 6am and tracked 2.16 miles in 38.38 mins and burnt 272 kcals! I've noticed a pain in my right heel though so need to keep an eye on that. Think I might have to invest in some plasters too because my baby toes were rubbing a bit this morning. I decided on an early walk because I still gym commitments with my mate every wednesday after work where we do Legs, bums and tums as as my membership only goes on hold from next month, it seems silly not to continue it for the next few weeks. Not sure how I'll be feeling tomorrow though!

I know how you SHOULD be feeling tomorrow hun... very very proud.
Dont forget to buy the plasters, little piggies dont like blisters.:)

you'll be able to do it, i started acheing around the 10 mile mark, but my sister around 6 miles. she dosent do any form of exercise at all though

did i mention i had on 1kg ankle weights?

Blimey Gina, go girl! :)

Week 1, Day 4
This evening I went walking with my mum after work and we tracked 3.16 miles in 58.50 mins and burnt 398 calories! I am so happy with my efforts tonight and was lovely to spend some time with my mum. :)

Aww, thats nice Bella, bet your mum is thinking exactly the same about spendin time with you, and you walked away a whole meal !

its good that your mum wants to do this with you, its always nice to have that kind of support <3

well done on keeping it up too

My mum has been brilliant, she wants to do it on a regular basis, especially on the longer walks, which I will definitely be greatful for! :)

Well I didn't get a chance to update yesterday's walk so will do it now.

Day 1 Week 5:
I did another morning walk today and tracked 2.45 miles in 37.59 mins and burnt 309 cals! It was so nice because the sun was shining and I walked past the racecourse where hot air balloons were taking off so was really good to see. Can't believe I managed to get up so early after my evening walk with my mum, but I did and felt so good!

and here is today's update...

Week 1, Day 6:
This morning the heavens opened and it was pouring with rain. I had a hair appointment at 9.30am and I said to myself if it was really bad, I would drive and hopefully the rain will clear by thieafternoon so I could go out and walk. There was absoultely no sign of it passing though so I braved it, put on my walking boots, got my brolly and tracked 2.06 miles into town to the salon in a record 19.45 mins and burnt 259 cals! I went a slightly longer route so I could get in the minimun miles I needed to and with all the rain, I didn't hesitate to get there so was super happy when I saw my time! I then walked back and tracked 1.51 miles in 17.09 mins and burnt 184 cals so in total I have walked 3.57 miles and burnt 443 calories! The rain has cleared now though (sods law) but I'm glad I walked in the rain because my boots lived up to their promise of being waterproof. Just need to invest in some suitable clothing now! ;-)

Week 1, Day 7

Well this morning I completed my first weeks training by tracking 2.59 miles in 40.35 mins and burnt 327 kcals.

In summary, this week I have walked a total of 19.37 miles in 5.20 hours and burnt 2425 cals!

Bring on Week 2! :) :)

Awwww, thanks SL, its so motivating to know I'm inspiring people. The app I'm using on my phone records the calories. You put your weight into it so it does it automatically. I doubt its 100% acurate because its like going to the gym and your relying on a machine to calculate it, but mentally its a great motivator! Xx

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using MiniMins

Wow what an inspiration you are doing this. Are you raising money for charity or just doing it to help you loose weight and get fit?

Sounds like your doing really well to keep it up everyday. I'd probably manage it for a few days and then give up. It's certainly going to take effort in getting round the whole course so you should feel really proud when you have done it. What an achievement this will be for you. Good luck xxx

Back