Dave - Journey to lose 180lb from June 2018 (Target achieved in 52 weeks)

I only had the symptoms of a cold for a few days, to be honest I have had worse colds in the past. I counted myself as so lucky to have it mildly. Ironically on the day I came into contact with it I had had my booster. They were just realising that our protection from the vaccine was waning much quicker than anticipated so I must have had minimum protection left. I so hope the rest of the family escape from the covid. In my home just husband and I. Fortunately he didn't get it. mind you we slept apart, and I didn't want to see another rubber glove or disinfectant for days. I did nothing but disinfect any possible surface touched. Believe you me there is so much you touch without thinking. We kept a part as much as possible. Then when doing my dressing on my legs we both masked up and wore surgical gloves. It was such a long 10 days we barely spend a night apart so sleeping alone was strange poor dog was torn which bedroom to stay in so in the end divided her time giving me the lions share which is surprising seeing as she is my husbands shadow and partner in crime

That sounds like hell! We're triple vaccinated and kind of said when my daughter got it that there really is no hiding away from each other to prevent this spreading between us, we can't lock the kids up etc so we'll just sit it out and take what comes and hope that gives us immunity for the future months.

I played it down a bit!

Daughter (6) Day 1 headache, high temp and falling asleep. Day 2 similar in the evening and as the week goes on less. Day 6 and still testing positive so no sign of coming out of self isolation any time soon.

Me: 2nd positive in the house. Little symptoms and tested positive. Day 3 was my peak with headaches, head cold and feeling shattered. Chest hurting throughout. I'm on Day 5 now and the headaches are persistent and my back and legs ache now as well as the bloody chest. My taste is starting to go. I have however been able to get on the bike an hour a day and do a relatively gentle ride which mfp is still classing as "very fast cycling"! I think it's because it's a speed I couldn't do outside as I would have to regularly stop for junctions/traffic etc. Day 5 for me and still testing positive.

Wife: 3rd positive. She is bordering on full on flu. Struggling to get out of bed. Walking down the stairs today (day 4 for her) and she had to rest at the bottom. Her whole body aches, she has the chesty cough, constant headache, head cold and very tired all day.

Son (4): Positive yesterday. 39.5c temp going to bed and passing out all evening. Calpol'd up and woke up a few times in the night moaning but has woken up saying he feels well and his temp has dropped.

You whole family reminds me of my sister and her husband. They live with 4 daughters all front line workers as nurses. Once one got it poor family got it varying degrees of severity. Wishing you all a speedy recovery.

My self isolation ended last Friday and stupidly on Saturday I went out to do parkrun on Saturday morning, my first run in almost 3 years, with no build up runs etc to it. I managed to run without stopping and did it in just under 33mins but walking was a real issue on Sunday and Monday!

Yesterday was my return to group weigh in which saw me drop 8.5lbs and get my 5 stone award since rejoining the group 16 weeks ago and back down 12 stone in total.

January I managed to cycle 1170km and get my one 5km run in. One of the things I wanted to do was return to parkrun and run it at least once a month so I'll see where I'm at this weekend regarding the legs working and give it another shot or try again in a couple of weeks. I've also promised my daughter I will start taking her swimming on a Saturday or Sunday morning possibly every week from 12th Feb so that's some extra exercise for me to get in but one which works with the family so an added bonus. She also wants to give junior parkrun a go again on a Sunday so I may do that instead this weekend as I think that's only 2km!

Returned to group and lost 8.5lbs over the covid period and a further 2lb last week. I'm now 5st 4.5lbs down since returning and 12st 4lb down in total.

Caught a glimpse in the mirror before a bath the other day in shock at the loose skin around my arm pits/biceps. I hadn't noticed this before! The loose skin is affecting me more mentally this time around than last time I lose weight I think. I had a real wanting to give up moment when I noticed it. Ended up taking the kids for a swim instead and going out in public with my skin floating in a swimming pool because I said for the new year I wanted to stop this thing where I'm always worried about what other people are thinking about me when in reality few if any are thinking anything and it's just me thinking everyones looking and has opinions!

Still struggling to get the motivation to do everything I have planned in my head. Need to stop sitting around playing the switch in the evening and do some squats or medicine ball workouts for example!

I've not run since the 5km as I was unable to walk properly the 2 days after. I'll return to park run on the 26th Feb (can't next weekend due to daughters birthday, don't want to risk not being able to walk again!) so between now and then will get some leg work in to hopefully lessen the impact of the run and maybe the odd 2-3km run.

On the Slimming World side of things. I'm still 100% to plan since I rejoined in October and also haven't touched alcohol in that time.

Firstly well done on your weight lose over the time you were poorly. I fully understand that you are struggling with the loose skin due to weight lose. I too have loose skin on legs namely thighs and top of my arms. Maybe you could speak to your doctor about the loose skin and he could advise what to do going forward. Maybe an operation in the future to give you the body you deserve for all your hard work and dedication to turning your life around. I would love to get my skin removed but believe that my medical history i won't be touch with a barge pole. It is hard when we think others are staring at our imperfections or talking about them. When in reality most don't even notice. But well done you for not throwing in the towel. Your turning your life around for yourself and to be there for years to come for your family and future generations to see them grow up.

So it's been a mixed few weeks!

Lets start with the week where I gained 1lb. The first week since joining group that I have gained. Was I surprised? In a way, yes. Was I disappointed? Not really! I knew it would come off quickly.

Anyway, on to the "in a way, yes". When I say this bit you will be laughing saying obviously you were going to gain weight! It was my daughters 7th birthday on the Sunday and I had a blow out. It wasn't any old blow out! for dinner I had chicken satay on skewers, sweet and sour chicken balls, chow mein, deep fried shredded chilli chicken, chicken in cashew nuts, 2 big slices of birthday cake, ice cream, probably half a big bar of white chocolate, shortbread biscuit and some custard creams. The chinese food just wasn't filling and the sweet stuff was there and I felt I had already blown the week so kept eating it like a tit.

So, I said I was surprised, and eating that amount of junk you would ask why I was surprised and probably expect me to be happy gaining just 1lb. I did however cycle 250km that week, did 3 weight training sessions and a few yoga and pilates sessions too. I worked my arse off.

On to this week and I worked even harder with some extra yoga and pilates and a 5km run added to the mix. I lost that 1lb gained and a further 3lb and was awarded my 6 stone award in group in the 20 weeks I've been there.

My wife is however asking me to stop losing weight again as she thinks I'm starting to look ill in the face. I honestly don't see it so will be asking a few other people for their honest opinions! I'm not happy where I am just yet, I feel that stone and a half to target is not only achievable but what I need to do to help lose a bit of the gut weight I'm still holding on to.

Thankyou for your post showing what real life is like. I need that. I went to a birthday party. Started off with good intentions of having steak and salad. But then caved and had a portion of chips I shared with my husband. He had the lions share. I then thought I would have a slice of birthday cake. Which I shared with hubby again. Wouldn't mind didn't really enjoy it found it too sickly sweet. Me finding things sickly sweet was a revelation. I have a sweet tooth and would prior to slimming world eat a millionaires shortbread or chocolate fudge cake both incredibly sweet. Come the weigh day on Sunday I paid dearly for my transgressions I gained 3lb !!! but hubby must have bribed the scale fairy cos he lost a pound :rotflmao: So knuckled down this week upped my exercise as much as my body allows and seen if I can shift this gain and go back to my losing ways.

Thankyou for your post showing what real life is like. I need that. I went to a birthday party. Started off with good intentions of having steak and salad. But then caved and had a portion of chips I shared with my husband. He had the lions share. I then thought I would have a slice of birthday cake. Which I shared with hubby again. Wouldn't mind didn't really enjoy it found it too sickly sweet. Me finding things sickly sweet was a revelation. I have a sweet tooth and would prior to slimming world eat a millionaires shortbread or chocolate fudge cake both incredibly sweet. Come the weigh day on Sunday I paid dearly for my transgressions I gained 3lb !!! but hubby must have bribed the scale fairy cos he lost a pound :rotflmao: So knuckled down this week upped my exercise as much as my body allows and seen if I can shift this gain and go back to my losing ways.

So I did all that and gained 1lb. A couple of ladies in group both said they had terrible weeks including indulging on a lot of chocs and both lost 1lb and my Uncle told me he was drinking heavily for 3 days and eating junk on social events and lost 3lb!

It affects us all differently doesn't it.

I do however feel that although I'm not where I want to be just yet, I do feel I can have the odd thing which isn't going to help me and more than likely maintain or minimal gain for the week because of it but mentally it doesn't put me down like it might have done 3 months or so ago when I had a lot more weight to lose. I guess it's all a long term goal so as long as I don't get silly and do it every week and have a treat every now and then all is good.

Yes it does, one gains whilst another loses. Yes I have to think of certain foods for high days and holidays as my parents use to say for only very occasionally. I have been on plan this week and I have pretty much increased my exercise but did get a Sjogren flare so for a day or two was minimal on that front. But pleased overall the scales will tell me tomorrow whether I have lost or not

Interesting week this week. I'm still just over a stone from target but I've had that chat with my wife and mother in law who have both said I should stop the weight loss. I have explained that the gut is the issue now and weight tends to fall off my face, arms and legs first and gut last so hopefully the remaining weight mainly falls off there!

On to the mixed views! I had a family event and had to find a suit to wear. I thought I'd give my suit I wore when I hit target a couple of years ago and it only bloody fit. It then came to my attention a lot of my old clothes are now fitting me as I tried them on and I'm back down to a mixture of large and medium clothing. My wardrobe has doubled in size in a week. On to the slightly negative, I found a suit I bought for if I lost a little more weight last time as I felt I could. I may have worked out a bit too hard as my calves don't fit in the suit trousers!

My exercise routine is upping every week. I'm consistently hitting 250km cycled on zwift a week. I'm running 5km more frequently and am considering making it a weekly event rather than the planned monthly one. This week I've run twice and whilst I haven't exactly enjoyed it I do enjoy the feeling after running. I am also noticing considerably improved upper body strength from the weight training which I didn't really do to a consistent standard a couple of years ago, I'm now 3 times a week putting in approx 45mins a session on it.

I lost 3.5lbs this week and came runner up in the group "Biggest Loser 2022" award having been at group just 5 months of the 12. I also took my old clothes in as I hadn't told the group I had previous weighed 13 stone more than I weigh now. Next week we return to weighing in without shoes (something I've never had as I joined during covid times) which I think will take an extra couple of lbs off without me doing anything. I wasn't going to do this but I am comparing my status to what I was a few years ago date to date and I used to weigh in on a Saturday morning in my underwear so losing the shoes helps with my comparison.

I had to pop in to work today to pick up my new ID card as I'm travelling to another office for a few days next week (this will break my 87 days in a row on Zwift :( ). I'm not sure the ID card is going to be much use next week! The pic on the right is from last weekend.

1646930228603.png

Time for another comparison photo, although not the best!

My sister sent me a pic of me I hadn't seen before and someone at park run took a photo of me on Saturday. 3 more weigh in's and my first year on Slimming World is complete.

Picture2.png

3 years later, a bit of a yoyo in weight, 7 stone on, almost 7 stone off and restarted park run. PB hit this weekend with 25mins 23secs which is considerably better than I was aiming for.

1648383898545.png

Wow what a transformation, congratulations on turning your life around. You look amazing. You should be very proud of yourself and steps taken to improve your eating habits and overall health. :woohoo:

7 stone award, slimmer of the month and under half my biggest recorded weight (the scales used to say Error so I don't know the heaviest I have been!).

I am now 1lb off my original target of 14 stone but have dropped my target in group to 13 stone with the healthy range on my BMI being up to 13st 3lb so sticking in target range would keep me in the healthy BMI category with the 3lb either side thing.

A big congratulations for getting slimmer of the month and your 7 stone award. Such a huge achievement. I think our targets sometimes change as at the beginning of our journey we cant ever envisage losing that amount of weight as it seemed such a mountain to climb and a pipe dream. But as you fast approach your original target you realize you can achieve a lower target.

I feel like I am carrying too much baggage around the gut still and hoping I can shed that if I continue to lose but as we all know too well, weight doesn't ever come off where you want it to come off!

This weekend was a great double header. I ran park run on Saturday with the intention of running a calmer run to just get 5km in the bag this month and ended up knocking 20 seconds off my PB. My daughter has been inspired by me going out and for the 2nd week in a row did Junior Park Run and she ran a PB on Sunday by almost a minute which included running for the first half without stopping. I'm not going to push her to do it as I've seen some of the parents there on the start line telling their kids they are running and the quicker they do it the quicker they can get home etc! It's all about enjoying it and currently she's enjoying it and pushing herself to run further without stopping.

My cousins wedding yesterday, ate a bit too much at the evening buffet but it was nice to see a few relatives I haven't seen for 6+ months with 7 stone dropped since then.

1650223229209.png

That's my son who this week received his height/weight info from school to say he's overweight :rolleyes:

Looking good for the wedding, I personally do not see your son as overweight. He maybe one of these youngers who like my nephew used to be deemed overweight just before his next growth spurt then he was the perfect weight.

Family gathering are a great way to catch up, many of us now have not seem relatives in such a long time due to the covid and lockdown. So gatherings such as weddings had been cancelled or put on hold. So the reunions have been extra specially a few weeks back saw my brother in law and his family for the first time in two years. Partly due to covid and his busy work life working on film sets as a parachute stuntman. So they had not seen me with my new weight loss of then nearly 6.5 stone. So they were shocked by it.

Back