Betty Boo Management Journey

Alan,

I think it's great you have set up the blog, at least you can get your feelings out. I am keeping a hand written journal (I read somewhere you do this but wasn't sure if this was your blog or not) too. It seems to help writing everything down and getting it out especially if there is not really anyone to talk to or who understands.

From reading your journal and other posts on here I can see that this was just a bad weekend. Up until now you seem to have done so well, you went out and had Chicken Tikka and veg and had no problems did you? It seems that the BBQ was testing, I think we would all be the same under these conditions (I've read this from other people's posts) It must have been so hard and I expect you were constantly worrying about what your Mum and other family members were thinking. Perhaps when you started to pick you felt you had let yourself down and dissapointed everyone. This is not the case. You have dissapointed no one, not even yourself. You have lost all of this weight and are maintaining and still losing. You understand what the problems were and Identified what you need to do to fix this next time. You may feel crap now (I imagine that is more to do with the alcohol as you won't have had a drink for so long) but at least you have thought about the consequences and realised that you don't want to go back to your old life and this will keep you on track.

One thing I do want to say though is please do not go down the road of making yourself sick if/when you over induldge again (however small it may be) I was concerned when I read that in your blog - please don't do it again.

Anyway, tomorrow is a new day, the start of a new week and a week to introduce new foods. Grazing on the fruit has probably done you some good as it should clear your system.

I looked at the soya yogs too as I was going to get them rather than the normal variety but noticed they were higher in fat. Not sure if this means they are better or not?

Please stay positive and I look forward to reading the blog.

Have a relaxed evening and stop being so hard on yourself xx

:)

Hiya,

I am pleased to say lost 3lbs and edge closer to my goal.

Have a little over 8lbs to loose, but whatever two more weigh ins and will start management and join you all.

Am done in now after catering for family and friends. It's my bithday and enjoyed evry minute of it ... No cheats and feel back in control.

Keep up the good work BB and all

Sam xx

Hi BB

How was your weekend? I had a good weekend though not sure if I am overdoing it on the fruit/low fat yogurt.

The again will not beat myself up much better to eat fruit and low fat yogurt than to eat choc/sweets or other high fat things.

Have you tried Qunioa? I really enjoyed the recipe in week 3. I had quorn marinated in curry powder last night was lovely with a huge bowl of salad followed by mixed berries and fromage frais mixed with vanilla essence and a sweetner (recipe in the LL book).

I have had persimmon fruit and passion fruit this week and I love the flavours. I had a lovely strawberry and passion fruit smoothie for breakfast this morning.

I am thinking of investing in a yogurt maker as the family are getting through so much. Cant decide what to do.

Jo

Hi Betty, glad you are enjoying the yoghurt and fruit! I wouldn't worry about how much yoghurt you eat - you need the energy for your impressive exercise schedule. It's straight maths, not crooked thinking! I thought I quite enjoyed exercise but I'd struggle with a regime like that! You'll reap the benefits of a toned body. My tum is still very wrinkly so I've stopped looking at it. The visible bits like arms and legs are OK so I'll count my blessings.
I'm still looking out for that quinoa recipe; can't think where I put the book!
Am I right in thinking you're up to week 4? I really enjoyed cooking the veg and was stunned to discover how delicious onions "fried" in stock were. I had been a bit cynical about that idea. I found having cooked veg a great step forward - it made a big difference to me.
Hope your meeting goes well. I find the sessions very helpful and interesting. I see you're a Kent person -we're making the trek east for my brother's 50th and to watch the Tour de France as they are doing one of the sprints outside his front door (Tenterden). I love watching cycling but don't like going uphill in real life - too much like hard work.

Thanks Betty for you supportive post. Things do a whole lot better today I'm kinda regretting doing the Blog but on the other hand its good to have things written down. I do a journal on my pc as well as the blog.
I think it was a combination of the drink and being tired just built up and knocked me down some. I'm going to put it down to experience and hopefully learn from it. Iwon't be going for such drastic measures if I over indulge in the future.
My LLC said that the soya ones were to high in fat but I'm yet to see low fat versions anywhere. I've had the yeo yogurts before I'm absolutely in luv with the vanilla version lol. I've cycled another 11 miles today going to work and home and I'm going out for a walk as usual soon.
I hope your meeting has gone well and you've had a great day.

I bought some tofu and also some smoked tofu yesterday so any tips for cooking would be apreciated I have never cooked/ tried it before.

Hi Betty,
I hope your having a good week. I had my WI tonight and much to my great surprise I lost another half a pound. I had a good talk to my LLC about what I ate and she basically agreed with everything you said. Thanks for being so supportive. I hope your WI went well, I'm guessing its the exercise that kept me on track and I'm really enjoying right now and I'm aiming to keep it up.

x

Last edited:
Hiya,

Loads has happened this week and this is the first time I have been on here for ages. Nana and Granddad are still in hospital. Found out that my Nan had hidden from everyone that his illness was yerminal so basically it has been decided that they can't treat him any further, he will never leave hospital again so they withdrew meds and we are now 'waiting'!!

I took a half day on Thursday to go and see them and say goodbye to my Granddad before he goes really down hill. Was awfull. I went with my Mum, brother and Sister and we spent most of the time crying. Dad was there with Nan's friend and some of his relatives. It is just so sad.

Anyway, well done Sam you keep up the hard work too and it won't be much longer until you are in management and at that goal of yours xx

Jo,

Your photos are amazing, you really look like a different women. It was so nice to have a look and see what you have achieved, I am so pleased for you.

I haven't tried the quinoa recepie yet, iv'e bought the quinoa but just not made time to do it. I have never had it before have you? So did you actually like it and what does it taste of?

I have been on the fruit and yogurt again last night and tonight - need to nip this in the bud as I am not eating all day and then having a dinner and huge pud as a treat. I must get it into my head that it is ok to eat these throughout the day two. In fact it is better for me rather than denying myself and eating at 9pm at night!!

What does a persimmon fruit taste like and what kind of fruit is it, do you eat it on it's own?

Thank you for your pm, I have looked and seen the pots you were telling me about, strange the stuff you make appears not to be veggie though. Decided against buying them as I am not craving them and don't want to start.

Keep me posted on your progress xx

Goombagirl,

I am a Kent person, I actually live very close to Tenterden but depending on what happens with my Granddad and Nan this week I doubt I will be around to watch it, I would have suggested metting you briefly otherwise. Would have been great to meet you in person and say Hi.

If you do come across the recepie for quinoa by accident let me know.

Still have a long way to go before I am so called toned unfortunately, I think i need to accept this really then keep punishing myself with the gym and run workouts I do.

I go into week 5 on Monday so more veg, I haven't actually cooked any veg yet/ By the time I get in from the gym it's too late so I have salad and cottage cheese and quorn ham/beef. I am so looking forward to roasting some veg and actually cooking a roast again - the roast pots and yorkie puds. Cant wait to have my baked sweet potato and salad this week this is one of my favs (again - the mounds of cheese!)

Hope your well and enjoying the trigger weeks, what are you on now? xx

Alan, well done with the loss and getting back on track. Hope things are going well for you now.

I love the tofu I cant believe I used to hate it. I few times I have made a marinade of freshly grated ginger left in boiled water, use this water as the base and use some of the grated ginger, 2 teaspoons soy sauce, s teaspoons lemon juice, 1 garlic clove finely chopped, 1 red chilli finely chopped, fresh rosemary, oregano and thyme finely chopped, course black pepper. I think thats it. Whiel you make a marinade try and soak the water out of the tofu block. Cut as desired or put in whole and leave to marinate for as long as you can, I normally leave for a few hours. Then I have cooked it on the hob in a frying pan in the stock.

I have also grilled and roasted it and just rubbed different seasonings on it. It goes lovely and crispy. Yum Let me know if you have tried anything that is nice.

Hope you are having a great weekend.

xx

Betty and I will look out for you in Tenterden, Goombagirl- that's where we live!

I'm so sorry to hear the news about your Granddad. It's a very sad time for you and your family. I'm glad you have at least had the chance to say goodbye.

I've just finished my cheese week and about to start bread, which will be the first major challenge. My LLC interestingly said that for many people bread itself wasn't the problem, it was the butter etc they put on it that made them want more. She suggested trying it at different times of the day with and without butter/jam, and using different types of bread. Then it's sweet week! Just in time for my trip to Tenterden. We're going to a Turkish restaurant so that should be OK. Hope the weather improves as we're camping:eek:!

Just seen your message littleblue - not sure how busy it will be! Maybe we should all carry our LL bags....I gather from the town website they are getting quite excited. My brother's house is on the High Street so we'll have a good view for the few seconds it takes the peloton to zoom past.

Enjoy the sweet potato this week Betty - I remember getting quite excited about it!

Hiya,

Jo,

Your photos are amazing, you really look like a different women. It was so nice to have a look and see what you have achieved, I am so pleased for you.

I haven't tried the quinoa recepie yet, iv'e bought the quinoa but just not made time to do it. I have never had it before have you? So did you actually like it and what does it taste of?

I have been on the fruit and yogurt again last night and tonight - need to nip this in the bud as I am not eating all day and then having a dinner and huge pud as a treat. I must get it into my head that it is ok to eat these throughout the day two. In fact it is better for me rather than denying myself and eating at 9pm at night!!

What does a persimmon fruit taste like and what kind of fruit is it, do you eat it on it's own?

Thank you for your pm, I have looked and seen the pots you were telling me about, strange the stuff you make appears not to be veggie though. Decided against buying them as I am not craving them and don't want to start.

Keep me posted on your progress xx

Hi Betty Boo

Thank you for your lovely comments about my photos. I have had a mixed weekend had loads of feeling fat thoughts which I know I am not. I find I am hungry a lot and I am struggling to decide what to eat at what times to conquer this.

I dont want to over do the fruit or yogurts. I only want to be eating two pieces of fruit a day and I am really monitoring this at the moment. I can eat more veg from this week so that may help.

I like the quinoa it has a real nutty flavour but I have had it in a salad and also with the easy veg curry I made which I added a little quorn to.

I am not sure if it is making me bloated and a little windy I didnt have it yesterday and I wasnt bloated either so will need to monitor this. I do really like it and no I had never had it before.

The persimmon fruit are also known as Sharon Fruit they are orange in colour with a leaf on the top. Tesco and Asda stock them. I peel the skin off with a knife and then cut into segments or if it is really ripe just slice the top off and scoop out the inside. It is a very sweet fruit and I had not had it before but it is lovely in a fruit salad.

Tesco does tell you on the label how to prepare it for eating too.

Fair enough on the jelly if you dont want them why bother. I do enjoy them but I am thinking as the food increases on the programme I think from Wed I go to two protein meals a day then I may not need them as I will be feeling full after eating a proper meal.

I am only finding it hard as we are on 2 packs and only one meal with snacks and trying not to have too much fruit as I want to maintain my current weight not put on due to eating too much fruit.

I am going out on sat night this week and I will be able to have a drink. I am sure I will be tipsy after one. I will have to make sure I drink plenty of soda water between the glasses of wine. I intend to be sensible maybe only have a couple of wines throughout the night.

Jo

Hiya,

Haven't been on for ages as my Granddad died on Sunday:cry:my nan is still in hospital :sigh:

I can't believe that I go into week 6 on Monday. Time seems to have flown by so quickly.

Still eating salad and cottage cheese and Quorn Slices/ Had a go at the veggie quiche on yesterday - it didn't work out very well, I think I over did the veg as there was just a little egg on top here and there and it was very watery!. Must say I have had roasted veg a couple of times and throughly enjoyed it.

Today I have over done the fruit and yogurt...again!!

Jo

I have had a mixed weekend had loads of feeling fat thoughts which I know I am not. I find I am hungry a lot and I am struggling to decide what to eat at what times to conquer this.

I know exactly where you are coming from here! I am not getting much support at all from my councellor and have been thinking of quitting the programme and starting alone. I have had enough and am not getting anything out of it. How are you getting on with your new councellor?

I may well try the quinoa this weekend or the veg curry. Have you tried the quiche yet?

How are you feeling now?

xx

Goombagirl,

How are you? How are you getting on with the bread week? I am looking forward to trying Rye Bread. Did you have any problems with the other trigger weeks, were there any things that you found caused you problems?

I still have not had my sweet potato yet, I think I will have it tomorrow.

I hope the weather stays good for your camping trip. It is looking good for Tenterden. Enjoy the Turkish Restaurant.

xx

Kate,

You look great, once you have been going to the gym for another month or two you will really see the results but good on you for making the effort.

xx

Alan,

How are you? Still cycling to an from work?

Hope things have been a bit easy and you have stayed on track - not that I think you really went off that much anyway. Have a great weekend

xx

Hi Betty, so sorry to hear about your Granddad. I know it was expected but it's still very hard to lose someone you love.

Week 6 - I remember thinking good - more fruit! Still eating loads (had a yoghurt session today!) but found the bread disconcerting. I think I'll be sticking to low GI foods - I experimented with different types of bread as my LLC suggested but although they were yummy, I really didn't like the way my body felt when I ate lots of carbs. Now I know how stable blood sugar feels, I don't want to go back to how things were before! It's amazing how some food sets off a cycle of craving. I'll eat bread etc when I'm out but stick to low GI stuff on normal days. Some sorts of bread are OK but not many. Sweets and choc next week:D - looking forward to eating my Dalek Easter Egg, albeit in small portions. Must get an early night - off to Kent at the crack of dawn. So relieved it's going to be dry and sunny - we've put the tent up in pouring rain before and it's not much fun. Will you be around on Sunday? Not sure where we'll be - looks like the town is going to put lots on. Would be nice to meet up if poss. and say hi.

Hi Betty,
Really sorry to hear about your granddad, It's never easy losing ppl you luv.
I'm getting there slowly I had abit of a wake up call at my WI, I put on 3 and a half pounds which shocked me for a while but I remembered all the exercising and cycling I'd been doing and asked to be measured. I had lost another 2 inches from my waist this backed up my belief that it was mostly due to muscle growth. It has steered me away from custard creams though ( i had picked a few at work)
The cycling is going great thanks I have even been out this morning and done 14 miles. Its the biggest thing that LL has changed in my life and I will be choosing to keep it going into the future. I'm meeting a few friends today and we are going to watch the prologue up in London and finally looks like the sun has arrived. Your very lucky having the tour passing by tomorrow :jelous: It's going to be fantastic I think.
I start with my first trigger week next week I'm feeling a little nervous about it to be honest but I think I should be OK. I still have times when I'm grazing but I'm trying to figure out alternatives.
How you finding maintenance? It's so easy to over do the yeo yogurt isn't it, specially the vanilla flavor one I have stopped going down that aisle when in tescos now lol.
I hope you have a great weekend and make the most of the sun. Take care

x

Hello Goombagirl,

At least he won't be suffering any more and we can now concentrate on my Nan without the worry of when it was going to happen. Looked back at some photo's of him yesterday with my Dad and he hasn't changed, he looks so young. Perhaps that's why I look so young, let's hope it stays that way!!

I have bought some bananas as I am really looking forward to them and was going to bake one and have with yogurt and some strawberries and blueberries with Cinnamon and nutmeg - yum. I do find it funny how so many of us are enjoying the fruit and yogurts (a little too much mayby). I have always had a big bowl of fruit at least a day but I never really ate much dairy so didn't eat yogurt very often. I am limiting myself to only eat on a Friday and Saturday (this may be bad though as I see it as a treat - I suppose at least it is healthy)

I think you are wise with the bread thing, you probably never really noticed these reactions before or just ignored them. Have you tried Rye Bread? I am so looking forward to trying it. I never ate a lot of bread before, just occasionally at the weekends when I went overboard at times and I suppose the pizza bases. At least you are aware that bread can now set you of on the route you don't want to go down. Is it the big comfort bread that sets you off or sweeter bread?

Sweets and choc next week:D - looking forward to eating my Dalek Easter Egg, albeit in small portions.

:jelous: I am so jelous, I meant to buy a egg from Hotel Chocolate or Thorntons and I never did but I really hope you enjoy your Dalek! I really hope this weeks goes well for you. You are there then after this week aren't you? I can't believe how quickly it has gone for you. I remember reading posts when you started management. You have done ever so well. How are you feeling now the end is near or are you seeing it as a fresh start?

I would have loved to have met up and said hi. If I had been able to get online I would have arranged something with you. I am sure there will be another time and my bf told me that Tenterden is expecting 10,000 people I think. I am sitting here with the window open at the mo and there are no where near that many yet. I imagine it will get busy as the cyclists get nearer.

Fingers crossed that you have had a lovely time hear and what a great weekend for it.

xx

Hi Alan,

It is so hard, this is the first relative I have lossed.

You will definately be building muscle with all the cycling that you are doing, sure you are not taking part in the tour de france?! I won't be seeing you racing passed later on then :)

I don't think you would have put 3 1/2lb's on due to the odd custurd cream (ooohhh yummy) and bit of fruit and yogurt so don't start stressing about this, you will need extra calories to enable you to do the exercise at the degree you are and to build muscle (you also need protiens). I am dreading the day I gain, but I think once I have I will relax a little (I really hope I do)

I had lost another 2 inches from my waist

Well done another two inches, there won't be much left of you at this rate!

Hope you have a fab day in London, fantastic to see the sun isn't it. Hopefully Summer has arrived and will stay with us.

Good luck with your first trigger week, lt me know how it goes. It seem's to come around so quickly doesn't it. One min you are on salad leaves the next you are having a full blown pasta or noodle meal etc. I hope you relax and enjoy it though.

I am finding it very hard at the moment. I really want to carry on and finish management but I am not getting any support from the councellor or group (loads of people have been saying this from all groups) I am not happy that I have paid this amount of money and don't get the support that a lot of you others receive. I am thinking that perhaps I should go it alone and just buy the packs online but follow the book and see how I go. I then think well you are so close hang in there. :banghead:

Had my first Baked sweet potato last night with salad and cottage cheese. Was absolutely lovely (I have missed these big time) Was fine while eating it but my tummy has been so bloated and uncomfortable since an hour after. It is really bad now. I just hope this settles down as I eat more starchy carbs.

Hope you are enjoying London xx

I really am enjoying reading your thread. I have learned quite a bit from reading this fascinating thread!

I am on week 4 and I have just had my lunch of salmon and salad. Now, I LOVE salmon, well, the way I cook it is lovely. I had two portions of salmon fillets (the narrow ones) as I felt that one fillet was not enough! :eek: I feel quite full after having them with salad. Then I had a Muller Light yoghurt - a 200g tub! Later, I will have a bowl of fruit salad with Total Greek 0% Fat yoghurt.

I hope I haven't gone over the top with my salmon!?! I hope that my stomach is not stretching, and making me feel less full as time goes by! I am a little worried about it but at the same time, I don't want to lose too much weight during management or do I want to put on weight. I will be going on holiday on Wednesday, and we will be staying in a hotel which means I won't be able to make my own meals! It will be week 5 which means I can have two meals plus snacks!

I hope I will not put on weight when I return!

Hi Betty,
I had a good day in London yesterday except for the fact I didn't think to put on some sun tan lotion and have got sun burnt legs. So I'm suffering abit today not complaining though self inflicted only myself to blame. I have managed to avoid custard creams this week I hope it shows in this weeks WI.
I know what you mean about finishing management early, my grouped and LLC are pretty good but I do feel slightly awkward talking about my problems with food when the others are still abstinence but I'm going to stick with it, I think I go down to 1 food pack this week so the price drops again. I'm looking forward to having rice and pasta this week. I am realizing that I have really got to work at my portion control I still find myself going for that extra mouthful or if I'm in the garage going to buy something even when I don't need it, at the moment it's healthy things but I need to watch myself in future. I'm going to buy clothes that fit tight so that if I put anything on I'l get a warning straight away.
I used sweet potatoe in a vegetable soup I made but I have never thought of baking it. Something else I'l try in the future.
What did you think about the Tour De France ? I thought it was amazing, I'm thinking of entering next year;) I wish I could have made oit down to see them today I bet it was fantastic. I hope we both keep up with the healthy options in the future I'm not 100% confident that I will all the time but I think I will be able to the majority of the time.

Hope your enjoying the sun

x

Cheerydino,

I know what you mean about worrying whether or not you are eating two much. As I don't eat meat I wouldn't know what a portion looked like but you have to go with what you feel is the right amount for you. A fist is supposed to be the amount of protien that you need. I have a pack of quorn fillets in my freezer and although I haven't had any yet two of those are counted as a portion and they are long and narrow!

For my dinner tonight I had 125g of tofu which I marinated with roasted veg caulie, broc, carrot, parsnip, 4 mangetout, 1 babycorn an cherry tom and 2 small button mushrooms, fresh herbs a green chillie and a mashed swede (I mixed some of the swede with a little musturd and course black pepper and it was lovely). I really enjoyed it although I am now feeling a little bloated again. Think I overdo the veg and salads.

I hope you have a great holiday. I would relax and enjoy it remember that you are on LL but don't become obsessed with it otherwise you may be tempted to eat the wrong things.

I think it is important to remember that although you may put weight on quicker if you are on holiday because of the temptation, it is also important to remember that you may put the occasional pound or two on when you are not on holiday.

I hope you have a great holiday and let us all know how you get on.

Enjoy yourself xx

Evening Alan,

You poor thing getting your legs burnt it must have been hot then. It ddn't seem that hot here though. But glad you had a great time.

I watched some of the tour de france from my window but to be honest we saw more cars go by than cyclists. I thought there would be more but they came in a couple of groups and went by so quickly. Was really great to watch though as I had a fantastic view. They must be so fit. I was thinking how many calories they would have to eat to be able to do that amount of exercise at that high level - it's amazing really, well I think so :eek:

Can I ask why you are in a group who are in abstinence? My LLC has different groups for foundation, development and management. You are not allowed to discuss food with the groups who are not eating food. Just seems unfair on you and your group as I doubt you get much advice and as you say feel uncomfortable discussing the issues you are having.

I am really looking forward to pasta, cous cous and rice too.

I am realizing that I have really got to work at my portion control I still find myself going for that extra mouthful or if I'm in the garage going to buy something even when I don't need it, at the moment it's healthy things but I need to watch myself in future. I'm going to buy clothes that fit tight so that if I put anything on I'l get a warning straight away.

Mayby things will get easier for us as we go along and introduce more variety?

Baked sweet pots are great as they are sweet and soft. They are just as nice roasted for sunday lunch. These are two of my fav meals ever (plus the indians and pizza and pasta blah blah blah)

Have a great evening xx

Hi Betty,
The cyclists consume on average 7000 calories a day but can have up to 9000 on the mountain stages. Maybe cycling the tour is the way to go, save lots of hassle lol.
I'l definately be trying the baked sweet potatoe I must admit I haven't been having many cooked vegetables, I've been having mostly salads. I luv roasted vegetables specially garlic. I've never tried cous cous but it's on my list after wednesday.
I think the prologue was a good way to see the riders as they come along individually rather then in a group but I would imagine seeing so many riders together would have been inspiring. There are loads of cars with the tour including the caravan which is loads of promotional vehicles which go around ahead the tour, giving out gooodies. I believe there's about 50 altogether.
I think because theres only 7 men altogether she mixes us all together which is probably not the best really. I would have much prefered to be with others on maintenance to get some advice and stuff. I think really she is still getting used to dealing with a mens group.
I think I'll be glad when I'm off the diet I'm getting p**ed off with the 2 types of ppl out there, theres the group that think you need to be eating and always try and put an extra bit on your plate ( my aunty) then theres the other group who think that as soon as you've had more than 2 mouthfuls your over eating (my mum and brother) I actually made my excuses and left my brothers yesterday because he was doing a bbq, which I was invited to but I knew once the food was served they would be like are you sure you should eat that etc, and I would rebel and eat all the more. Hoefully things will calm down soon.
Anyway I hope you have a great Monday I'm just off to work now take care

x

Back