Big Boys Need Love Too!

Come on then Taz - bring it on - let's have a poem from you x

Oh, I've heard a poem or 2 from you x

good morning everyone :)

i actually managed to get back to sleep this morning!! hurrah!! which has two benefits. i won't want to fall asleep half way through the afternoon, and i didn't eat breakfast at 7am making me starving again by now. no food in the house at all!! ooh. hang on. might be some potatoes... might make a jacket. i can easily get potatoes from the corner shop... crisis over, ha. there's me and a packet of rice cakes in the house at the mo... :D

i have 2.5 to shift by monday to get into the 13s.. something i don't think that's going to happen but i will continue to get on with it just in case.

i'm on ww taz. have been for about a month now i think. and my body won't let me get on with it. there aren't hidden points, and i admit i've had the odd day where i've gone over in the past month. but none of them have been blow-out days and i save points every day just in case, but not more than you are suppose to so i'm definately eating enough. i think my body just hates me!!

saying that, i think my clothes are getting a little bit looser. i am back on the wii fit so that can only help. my back is giving me problems again and i had to take my painkillers last night for the first time in ages, but this could be why i managed to sleep through... don't want to get into the habit of that again in case i end up with loo issues again, but i think today may be a day when i have to...

am considering the cinema tonight. the pick and mix is calling to me so i may have to make alternative purchases before i go. the snackajacks popcorn is really good so may try that :)

abz xx

Good morning, I'm late but I was up early and went to visit our store in Lichfield, they've been having network problems. All sorted out now.

glad to hear it jim.

oh!! i had my appraisal at work the other day (finally) after working there a year and a day. it was supposed to be after 3 months but hey :)

i don't think any of the others are going to be as brutally honest as me. i went in and said that i have real problems with servers and networking as i didn't have any experience in them before working there and hadn't really had any training or experience in them when i got there. when i started the boss was on paternity leave at the other two chaps were working 50 hour weeks to cover the shifts, and then little old me. so i didn't really get trained.

the boss was lovely, really chatty and we set up some goals and they are going to sort me out some training on the servers. they scare me as it's so easy to make THE BIG M (mahoosive mistake) with those... i do work with them quite a bit, but only within my comfort zone. also got to say what really irritates me about the team as a whole, the shoddy documentation of what people are doing and when so when i come to take over a call i don't know what's going on. whereas they chat to each other about it all the time in their little cliquey way so it doesn't affect them as much, and i'm really specific in my updating so they always know what to do with mine, so it only really affects me i think.

and despite me getting marked quite low on my broad range of knowledge (and that was only because i told them what i didn't know and what i wanted to improve -- and i think the others will blag that) i still scored at way above expected as i got marked either 5/6 or 6/6 in most other areas. and i have obvious areas to improve upon which i highlighted and requested myself.

the bossman did point out that the others won't be as honest, but it means they won't get as much out of it. and i am really good at the things in my comfort zone. we all have things that we enjoy doing so we leave it to those people, so a lot of the first line stuff and interacting with staff stuff gets left to me, because i enjoy that, whereas the server stuff gets left for the other two guys, which is why i've never really done any of it... so yeah. i'm babbling, sorry. but it was just a really nice meeting.

it took over 2 hours... none of us were expecting that, but i think the bosses got to see a lot about the team too. i didn't put them down in any way, in fact i brought up things that all of us need to do better and would improve us as a team. there's no real structure. and since nobody is really into the structured organisational side of things other than me... well i think it helped them too...

do you have to give these kinds of things jim?

i'll stop going on now. this turned into an uber post...

abz xx

Yes I do abz, I have an annual appraisal meeting with my people. I'm supposed to get one myself but it has never happened. :)

What are your servers abz, UNIX or Windoze?

most are windows ones jim. but we do have a unix server or two. part of the problem is that we manage servers for other parts of the company too. and i don't know what most of them do!! i work with our main server quite a bit, but again, only within the realms of first line work, which is what i spend most of my time doing, and i would much rather be able to get into the thick of it and solve problems that are more serious, rather than feeling utter panic when it crops up because i have no idea!!

i did ask that we start talking about the things i did know rather than the things i didn't know by the end of the meeting, because although i did want to identify it, i was starting to feel very thick!! hee.

they are going to be doing 3-monthly reviews initially and then six-monthly and then probably annually. but our bossman now gets asked to work on coding and developing so many things that he hasn't really been able to help with training etc since i started but he wants to get more into that. he said that usually he would have undone things to be redone to train me at the beginning but things were totally mental as the entire telecomms sytem and servers were being changed when i started and nobody had the time... and now they do :D

abz xx

I gve a lot of training sessions here abz, I've been in IT since 1969 and have seen massive changes, the thing is today that many people in IT don't understand the underlying structure of systems and OS because the OS itself keeps you away from it. When times are quiet I give my team make believe projects to teach them stuff. 'chelle our token IT girl is really good and will be moving on soon I suspect. I wish we were a big enough company to give her a management role in IT. I have seen her move from a graduate entry to being a real asset to me in the IT department. She has learned so much, that and she is starting to take responsibility for things on her own iniative which I really like.

jenn!! was hoping you'd show up if i messaged you :) how are you doing? how are things? how is bump?

abz xx

How is bump. LMAO!

"Bump" is called Chris I believe (correct if wrong)

Hi Jen - not long to go now x

Listening to you (Abz and Jim) chatting puter-talk reminds me of a course I was on once - we were all asked for our proudest moments and one guy piped up:
"When I was a student I was working in the poll tax department and was asked to 'look after' the computer. Unfortunately (?) I pressed the wrong button by accident (??) and hundreds of accounts disappeared - it took ages to reinstate them so they got off free for a while".

We were all in stitches x

"Bump" is called Chris I believe (correct if wrong)

Hi Jen - not long to go now x

Listening to you (Abz and Jim) chatting puter-talk reminds me of a course I was on once - we were all asked for our proudest moments and one guy piped up:
"When I was a student I was working in the poll tax department and was asked to 'look after' the computer. Unfortunately (?) I pressed the wrong button by accident (??) and hundreds of accounts disappeared - it took ages to reinstate them so they got off free for a while".

We were all in stitches x
Yay Gem, when did you get your 2nd star?

Hey guys,

Yeah chris is doing just great, not too long now. Turns how he is a "grower" so looks like he is going to be a "bigg'un" He was the weight of a 34 wk (gestation) at 31w and 4 days, so they are prediciting a 9lbs+ baby. But will know more on the 8th of april, when I will know if they are going to arrange a planned section or not. And with my size and his I've no doubt they will, so it may be a case of planned section on the 23rd or the 29th of april. And seeing as eldest was born on the 1st of may, it will be a close one.

Anyway how are you all doing?

Ouch! Jenn, I was thinking about you the other day. I was watching the apprentice and they were talking about the guy who quit before the show started and said he made his money in annoying ringtones. I seem to remember your OH was behind some of those annoying ringtones, was he the guy who pulled out of the apprentice?

hey guys. hi jenn :) glad to hear things are going well. my best mate is having a planned c-section and her two are going to have birthdays very very close together :) she doesn't know exactly when yet though.

i've been feeling really gloomy all day. not sure why.

just got an email from my mum's ex. he's gotten engaged. am really happy for him but him and his girlfriend haven't been together a year yet and i bet i'm going to have to tell my mum about it and i don't want to have to deal with the fallout. she broke it off but he did her a bit of an injustice financially with the house. she wanted him to have it more than she wanted to make loads of money on it so she let him have it cheaper because he wanted it so much. however i know that he's been thinking of renting it out for some time now and i really want to just say 'so, you going to give mum her 10k back then...' as mum has never really stopped being bitter about it... but gah.

still, i'm happy for them. but i'm still not inviting her to my wedding :D

abz xx

Back