Big Boys Need Love Too!

well the first time i referred to thomas as my husband was making a complaint at our honeymoon hotel... not the best time, ha. i did hear him refer to me as 'the wife' when i rang him at work and he picked up whilst speaking and didn't realise i could hear. i haven't let him hear the end of it yet :D

There is a young guy at work who is like an old man from the 50's. Since he's got married we've never heard her name, she is 'The Wife'! I would batter Mr Taz if he called me 'The Wife'!

"The Wife" is de-humanising and "My Wife" is too much like ownership for me. I have a name - he knows I am married to him - if anyone else wants to know they can ask.

I had my wedding ring cut off years ago and never got it sorted. When my kids were little those that knew me knew I was married and anyone else was told on asking or figured it out from my conversation.

One day an elderly friend of mine chuckled about a friend of hers who referred to me as "You know, that friend of yours with all the kids and no husband". She soon put her right with chapter and verse about how long I'd been married (not that it was any of her business of course) and that if she'd asked she would have been told.

People make assumptions on the wearing of a ring. "My husband" (note the ownership) wouldn't have a ring as he said it would be dangerous for an engineer working with machinery. I have caught rings on all sorts of things so I know what he means. Most of my little silver rings are mis-shapen because I have caught them on door handles etc - and it hurts. x

Hmm, Colleen and I use My wife and my husband, always have done.

yeah. i don't see it as an ownership, i'm more proud than anything. and thomas's the wife comment was in jest as it was his first day back at work after we got married.

i wouldn't like it if it was something i was called in general, my wife, however, i find nice :) but then it hasn't grown old yet :D

haha..well we have said my wife or my husband but generally when introducing him i say his name. I often forget my ring as I have been switching rings as my acutal wedding ring doesn't fit well at the moment. nor do most of my rings, so I just pick a big one and walk out the door. But quite often I've not got one on. As I really don't give two hoots who knows i am married or not, it has never really bothered me. However when I go out to london I have always worn my ring just to keep the guys away and so I can make excuses why I don't want to dance with them other than saying " no thanks you smell really bad and I saw you dancing with that other girl and you were really really bad dancer too, laters." =-)

I do like being called Mrs. xxxxxxxxxxxx it means something to me. The OWERSHIP thing has never come into my mind as my OH knows better than that. It depends on how you see marriage I think. If it is a partnership based on friendship and a mutual understanding, and wishes to grow old and have a family, then no owership would be implied. But if you had no realy choice or it was an obligation then I could see how it feel like ownership. But I do agree that "the wife" normally has a certain stigma attached to it when said. TO me it is like calling a woman a "broad, chick, old lady" etc.

but that is just my opinion, which you all know I give all to freely! *LOL*

It's just a word but the historical context is a bit more than that. I am not overly concious but I prefer to be called Ms rather than Mrs as Mr was Mr before and after marriage so why should I be labelled!!! The beauty of it is that I really don't mind anyone at all knowing that I'm married - I'm not hiding anything but I also feel that it is our relationship that matters more than the piece of paper.

Having said all that I am a person in my own right first but that doesn't stop me taking my role as wife and mother seriously x

Thanks Jenn - I think I've finished my lecture hehe x

i've opened a right kettle of fish here. and all for nothing. i asked OH today whether he said the wife or my wife, and he said, my wife of course. why on earth would i call you the wife??

so i misheard... ha.

abz xx

Ha ha. It doesn't matter anyway Abz. All that matters is you and Thomas are happy x

of course it doesn't :)

now i can't go food shopping with my friend tomorrow. so am going to have to tell 'the husband' that we've got to go. he absolutely despises food shopping :D

Tough - he does some of the eating so there!!!!!! hehe

I only refer to Mr Taz as 'My husband' if I am clarifying his position. For example, if making a decision that should be a joint decision I would say "I will have to discuss it with my husband first" as saying "I would have to discuss it with Mr Taz first" would mean nothing to them, Mr Taz could be the next door neighbour! Although, if I wanted to discuss important decisions with my next door neighbour then I would and that's of no business of the person on the end of the phone!

I know what you mean Taz - I do the same. Both next door neighbours are very nice but would not want to participate in my household decisions methinks x

No idea, hasn't posted in nearly a year elle.

Hi - this thread has become a blast from the past. Tyn has been AWOL for - well like Jim said, probably over a year x

Back