Biggest Christmas gainer

donna88

Gold Member
I think I'm well in for this award this year, don't have a WI now until 2nd Jan as I just can't make any of the groups, so my Christmas and new year gains are going to be a double whammy, plus there's whatever I gain this week as I have so many plans this week too :/

I'm not going to worry too much about it as it is Christmas and I'll just have to work extra hard in the new year to get it all off :) running a half marathon in March so will need to be as light as possible so I can zip around haha.

Is anyone else worried (sort of) about a huge Christmas gain and did anyone have a big gain last year and are planning the same this year? Or did the big gainers get put off from doing it again?

I have had big gains over the years and really don't like it, so now I try to be as good as I can. I take xmas eve and xmas day off but that's about it! I used to fall off the wagon from the pre christmas WI until the one between xmas and new year!
I don't want to gain any more than 3lb but I've gained half a stone in the past.

I'd say that as long as you enjoy the food which makes you gain then there's not a problem. It's each to their own - Christmas comes but once a year and is a time of festivities which normally involves food!!

I'm only taking Boxing Day off this year!! Last year I gained 6lb over Christmas, after writing the whole week off. I intend to stick to plan all of that week, including Christmas Eve and (as much as possible) Christmas Day. I'm going out on Boxing Day - so that will be off plan in relation to alcohol!

I would love a maintain - or even a tiny weeny loss - over Christmas.

Last year I lost 0.5 lb Christmas week !!!

I got weighed last week and gained 1.5
this week been off plan all week got back on it today but get weighed tomorrow !!
And have lots on this coming week work tomorrow & Thursday Friday my little girls playgroup Xmas party we all have to take snacks and food and cakes (must resist )
Out all day sat with friends at the zoo having lunch out might have pasta to be good
Sunday sil's birthday meal out at a steak house Monday sil's birthday Christmas Day at mums for lunch she has goose fat roasties the lot will resist them as I love boiled potatoes more & I'm making pigs in blankets have bought joes syn free chipolatas and will wrap in bacon
We have starter & pud too not sure what they are normally pate & pud is either Xmas pud or Yule log then evening At my uncles xmas party it's normally all naughty food and lots off booze then Boxing Day were throwing a party but mum has bought mini burgers mini beef wellingtons pizzas etc !!!!! Argghhhhhhhhhh

my plan is to either maintain over my next two weigh ins xmas and new yr or lose im hoping to lose my entire xmas dinner is a syn free feast that im cooking for friends and family ive even bought syn free sausages for the pigs in blankets and syn free sausagemeat .... i will be making my awesome cous cous stuffing and my syn free gravy that i make using pureed mushrooms and stock its so tasty all roasties and parsnips will be frylite ones and were having syn free braised red cabbage and the usual other veggies after it taking 3 months to lose the 8lb i put on on my 2 week all inc hols i dont want to send myself spiraling out of control again as it took alot to reign myself in again

I'm just going to do the best I can which is not going to be easy with lots of temptation around and just looking at days that are likely to be off plan its at least half of them over about 2 weeks!
I gained last year and really struggled to get rid of it in fact it was a big contributor to why I have had a difficult year weight wise and ended up further from target! It even sent me to ww for a while.
I would say enjoy ourselves but be aware that any gain will not neccesarily go easily! I thought I'd get rid of it no problem but despite getting back on plan it wouldn't budge!

^^ I do understand that could be a problem.

Last year I gained 7lbs Christmas week but I was back in target by the 25th Jan, this year will be more difficult as last year the week before Christmas week I had a couple of off plan days and then Christmas week I had Christmas eve, Christmas day and boxing day off and then got straight back on plan. Whereas this year the offplanness has already started, I'm being good where I can but it's really hard and I know I'm only going to be properly back on plan once we get back home in Jan... not sure what date yet but will be the first week in Jan at some point

I will be happy to maintain between now and the new year w i,after gaing 7lb last christmas,think I'm still trying to lose it !! :$ xx

Been a bit of a lurker on here while preggers, but had to contribute here!

In the past while on other diets I've put on up to half a stone over the holiday period, mainly cos I stopped the diet for two weeks and ate anything and everything! I think so many people do this, think sod it, I'm gonner gain anyway I might as well have x,y and z, which just makes it worse than it is.

At the moment I'm off sweets completely and having to eat healthy for baby. I had been worried about christmas, meals out etc, but actually I'm doing quite well sticking to plan. I have loads of meals out, but am just having what I want within reason and just having that meal off plan. We've only bought a few extra bits for xmas day and nothing too synful. So I think most of my xmas will be on plan. It's really opened my eyes to how many excuses I made over previous christmas! I used one meal or one day off plan as an excuse to binge for a fortnight, now I realise I can have the odd little blip and be back on plan inbetween. No more big gains for me!

I am trying to stay on track all over Xmas. Its taken a lot of work to take this weigh off, so I dont want the stress of getting it off again.

At worst I want to try and STS. I had a bit of a wobbly week last week and gained a few lb so want to get that off this week, and then STS til new year.

I'm also trying to break the association between "enjoying myself" and food. Why does enjoying Christmas need to mean eating food that's not good for me? That's the association I want to break as I really can't afford to go back to my old binging habits.

Sadly I'm thinking of coming off Minimins until New Year as there are so many people off plan and posting about the naughties theyve eaten that I'm actually finding being on here is giving me more temptation than staying off :(

Not saying that people shouldn't post if they are off plan, of course they can if they want to, but personally I'm finding it hard reading it and it seems to be everywhere.

Im Being good there are Alot of people off plan i will create a Being good at Xmas thread to see how many of us there are

I think there are plenty of people being good, to be honest I feel like everyone's being good and its making me feel like a right pig :/ I suppose we all see the bits that make it more difficult for us though.

I dont want to see like I'm judging people by whether they are good or not. I don't even know whether with my best laid plans I will stay on plan.

I just know that right now, when I read people list that they ate x,y,z I get cravings for those things and that's really hard. So it's nice to have just one thread where hopefully we won't mention that stuff, and then if I do fall off and want to talk about it I'll come over to one of the other threads and talk about it there rather than lead these people astray.

I don't know if that makes sense but right now I feel like reading about other people that are off plan makes me think sod it everyone else is off plan and I should too, even though I don't really want that.

It's really hard to explain and hard to say it without sounding judgemental which is the last thing I want - I can cope with the food adverts and the junk food at work and the supermarket - but seeing other SW dieters say sod it just cuts me much deeper for some reason :s

Don't worry I didn't think you were being judgemental at all,

I was just saying from my side of things I'm really struggling to stay on track as I have different things on which I want to be off plan for but then the days I'm trying to be good I'm struggling as my head in ''it's Christmas'' mode. I think I'm going a little mental as the rest of the year I have been extremely good, so I'm relaxing a little too much. I'm happy with that though as long as I don't struggle to get back on it in Jan.

I can understand how having a thread for sticking to plan as I can understand where your coming from, adverts and ''other'' people are one thing, but when your talking to people in the same position as you slimming world wise I can see how that could sway you more then others.

Good luck with staying on track, hopefully you'll manage it or if not just a couple of extra treats

Bloody hell just posted loads and managed to delete it haha

I was thinking faster then typing with that last message Jezzi but I think you got the drift of what I was saying about a thread for being good, being a good idea lol.

Gettingfit, I understand Christmas is sort of just like any other day if you want it to be, but I don't, its a big thing in our family and although I know we can celebrate and have fun without going off plan (believe me I do it the rest of the year by either sticking to plan or just having one flexi-syn day) I like having what I want at Christmas, its the one time all our family gets together and again I know that doesn't mean I have to go off plan, but it also doesn't mean I can't go off plan if I want to. I know I'm looking at a gain in Jan, as long as I don't moan about it when it comes then who cares? I didn't moan last year, but if this year my gain is a lot worse and I can't handle it and do moan then I'll know I can't do the same next year and I'll stick to it more.

Don't worry I didn't think you were being judgemental at all,

I was just saying from my side of things I'm really struggling to stay on track as I have different things on which I want to be off plan for but then the days I'm trying to be good I'm struggling as my head in ''it's Christmas'' mode. I think I'm going a little mental as the rest of the year I have been extremely good, so I'm relaxing a little too much. I'm happy with that though as long as I don't struggle to get back on it in Jan.

I can understand how having a thread for sticking to plan as I can understand where your coming from, adverts and ''other'' people are one thing, but when your talking to people in the same position as you slimming world wise I can see how that could sway you more then others.

Good luck with staying on track, hopefully you'll manage it or if not just a couple of extra treats

I struggled getting back on track for 3 months after putting on 8 lb on my summer hols so I feel i have to be good as ive only just got my head back in the game

I've only just lost my holiday gain too and would rather not be back to square one again but have learnt that this weight watching malarky certainly seems to be a life time thing for me so think will have to take the ups and the downs.
Christmas doesn't have to be about eating and drinking but it is how a lot of people celebrate and I'd like to join in at some points over the holidays.
What am hoping not to do is end up eating for the sake of it/past enjoyment as that makes a big difference I think. I also hope to do some nice long family walks for some body magic.

I gained a mammoth 7lbs this week, after deciding I was going to go off plan til the new year. Needless to say, my plans have now changed. Sickened with myself, half a stone is ridiculous. It's not even Christmas yet.

Same here!!! Im absolutely gutted!! we'll just have to work extra hard in the new year to make up for our naughtiness over the xmas period!!!!
I know how you feel tho, I expected to gain a few lbs, but half a stone! wow! never expected that!!!

I still don't know what I've gained as can't make WI until Tuesday, I don't feel like its too bad, but I'm back on plan now and expect it may be worse then I feel just because I know what I've eaten.

Back