BINGE EATING

I'm currently reading 'The weightless mind' by Georgia Foster. Its pretty soothing if not simple and obvious..i guess it all seems so straight forward written down. It also has cds with it...hypnotherapy type...fell asleep to it last week...good sign i guess!:D

I had a binge on mint choc icecream last week...actually about 5 teaspoons full but i classed that as a binge whereas before Id have eaten the entire tub without a second thought and some. I just think we're more conscious now which makes those feelings of guilt more harrowing...this is what Ive found damaging i guess...just guess we're thinking more...yeah like 24/7 about food/weight!:(

Keep you posted on progress i make with Georgia Foster's 'weightless mind'...doesn't that sound bliss...a weightless mind!:)

Hugs
:eek:

SPOOKY!!! :)

Karen - On the two occasions I came off SSing since the beginning of October, I gained 17lb in the first 2 weeks (lost 18lb in the following 2 weeks back on SS) then I gained 10lb over the last 2 weeks (I restarted SSing on Monday).

My problem is that I haven't reached goal yet and by messing around like this I'm taking the '2 steps forward - 1 step back' route :rolleyes:

I'm sticking with SS until Christmas (hopefully can lose at least a stone by then). I KNOW I'll come off SS for Christmas and am expecting a gain by the time I start SSing again in january (not so much as falling off the wagon as jumping off ... :) SS over Christmas? Get real!! ;) )

With 3st left to go and Christmas ahead of me, I'm hoping to reach my 10st provisional goal by March. If I hadn't messed about, I'd be at goal already. Twit!

(Hey - triplets!!)

:) Hey RD...trippy twitty triplet!

:D SS at christmas
:D one step back
:D twit

I have had these thoughts daily...i too would like to lose a stone by christmas...i will eat over christmas and maybe SS for a month or so after to get to ideal goal of under 10st?

We can do this the very fact that were still here makes us determined to succeed...we know how crappy we will feel if we dont...:eek:

will be jumpinn off wagon with you for christmas and jumpoing back on soon after new year! Its a plan...better than falling..but if we do we know someone not too far away at minimins will help to pick us up!

With me, what happens is that my proper diet is saintly (this is when I'm not SSing) .... chicken breast, cottage cheese, hardly any carbs etc and not in huge portions - and then comes the bits in between .... I'm talking 'unofficial' food as I never have it on a plate or count it in with my meals. I'll eat a wrapped chocolate biscuit (like a penguin type thing) then another as I pass ... and another - and then before I know it I've had 5 or 6. After that comes the guilt then more food.
I rarely stop until I feel physically sick and incapable of eating another mouthful. Then I go to bed feeling like cr*p and swearing I'll be 'different' tomorrow.
My 'contraband' usually consists of finger foods - cold meat, bits of cheese, handfuls of nuts etc.
And my constant picking and grazing is ALWAYS in secret.

I don't remember being like this before but to be honest, I haven't really been off SS long enough to find out whether things would calm down given enough time.

I'm glad of this thread though - makes me realise I'm not alone.

Debbie

You are definately not alone hun, I could have written the exact same even down to the 'grazing' foods:eek: I sometimes wonder whether SSing has messed with my head big style....but I'm not at goal and i haven't worked my way through the CD steps properly so I'm hoping that I will learn to eat......and more importantly when to stop eating too:eek:

You are not alone thats a definate...:)

Love

Morning!
My binging is regular too - few times a week then in between total SS!!! When I binge, I trot off to the supermarket fill the fridge with my bits, send my husband out then eat the lot! Sometimes followed by throwing up, sometimes followed with angry voice telling me I wont do it tomorrow!
I remember reading an article think it was in a LL Mag, the lady (several stone overweight, failed dieter etc etc) who's brother-in-law was an alcoholic who she had little or no time or respect for... They went on a family holiday & it was only when whe spent time on a one to one basis with him during this holiday that he told her... "Every morning I wake up telling myself - today I will not drink, this will be the first day of my new life..." It was only after his admission of that statement that she realised she too was suffering with an addiction, as she too said EXACTLY the same words to herself every morning! Feeling extremely humbled I think she gained a great deal of respect for him.....
Don't know about my fellow BINGERS out there BUT..... I too, hear these sorts of words & phrases regularly, particularly after a BINGE! xxx

Im even sometimes tempted to binge on CD stuff.
quote]

That made me laugh. When I had my first shake-i was totally grossed out! I wondered how I would make it to the next day. I tried other flavours and now, almost 2 weeks later, I too wanted to binge on cd today. Who would have thunk it!

Definately not alone, Im not a binge eater, however Im a boredom eater, I eat when Im bored, well i did, I havent been off the SS long enough to see wether I will do it, I hope not though, have taken up card and jewellry making to see if I can stop!

Vicky
I was an avid card-maker / scrapbooker and have literally TONS of stuff ... unfortunately I don't have nearly as much time for it now that I'm at Uni.

It's an excellent way of keeping your hands busy and your mind occupied though :)

Morning!
I remember reading an article think it was in a LL Mag, the lady (several stone overweight, failed dieter etc etc) who's brother-in-law was an alcoholic who she had little or no time or respect for... They went on a family holiday & it was only when whe spent time on a one to one basis with him during this holiday that he told her... "Every morning I wake up telling myself - today I will not drink, this will be the first day of my new life..." It was only after his admission of that statement that she realised she too was suffering with an addiction, as she too said EXACTLY the same words to herself every morning! Feeling extremely humbled I think she gained a great deal of respect for him.....
Don't know about my fellow BINGERS out there BUT..... I too, hear these sorts of words & phrases regularly, particularly after a BINGE! xxx

I have just sat there and read this statement. As some of you know my ex-husband is an alcoholic and I have always identified the way he is with alcohol, as the way I am with chocolate. When the children were little and I was trying to make them understand their dads illness, I use to use the analogy of me not being able to leave a packet of biscuits in the cupboard, with him not being able to leave a bottle of vodka with any in it.

What I hadn't realised until tonight, reading this, is that I haven't moved on. I daren't have anything I like (chocs/sweets/cake etc) in the house or I'll start my binge. I can not just eat one of the items ... I have to go on until the packet is empty. Tonight I bought a packet of mars bars (6, I think) as a treat for my kids and partner .... and ate one, followed by another, followed by another, and my son, daughter and partner had one each. I feel sick, unhappy and so angry with myself. If only I could understand WHY I binge ...... if anyone has read the book I'd love to know if it helps.

Feeling really disgusted with myself ... etc now.

I have a very interesting but long article about research showing that people who diet often become bingers. It's a fascinating bit of reading (well I thought so anyway). Bit scary though:eek: This is one of the reasons I am so against dieting unless other options have been tried.

I'm a binger. Well I was pretty much a full time one. Now I'm just do it occassionally.

It seems to be like a drug addiction for me. I have to eat too much. Feelings of being full don't stop me wanting more. There's no connection there. I just have to have something else, then something else. I don't necessarily enjoy what I'm eating. In fact, I rarely taste it...just stuff it on in.

A real binge is very hard to control. Everything goes out of the window. All thoughts of what it's doing to me become meaningless. I need the drug. I have to have it.

When you are in full flow, it's like falling off a cliff and someone calling out "come back up". You know you should, but you just keep falling.

Gosh Beverley ... I thought I was the only one who couldn't leave a packet alone until it was finished.

Thing is, if the packet had just one 'whatever' in it then I'd be satisfied with that but I just can't seem to 'leave' a packet with anything in it when I have my bingeing head on.

I eat and eat until it's gone. I even talk myself into eating it with the twisted logic of 'once it's gone I can't eat it anymore' .... how mad is that????

I wish I could get my head around why I do it though .... I'm ALWAYS disgusted with myself afterwards.

Gosh Beverley ... I thought I was the only one who couldn't leave a packet alone until it was finished.

Thing is, if the packet had just one 'whatever' in it then I'd be satisfied with that but I just can't seem to 'leave' a packet with anything in it when I have my bingeing head on.

I eat and eat until it's gone. I even talk myself into eating it with the twisted logic of 'once it's gone I can't eat it anymore' .... how mad is that????

I wish I could get my head around why I do it though .... I'm ALWAYS disgusted with myself afterwards.

I have used this logic many times.:(

Debbie - this has so upset me - I really had not realised I had such a problem until I read this post and identified with it sooooo much. I always knew not to keep anything I liked in ... and my son always use to say the house was full of diet and vegetarian food - nothing for him to snack on! But now i have identified it - I'm really upset - and scared .... and don't know where to go from here. My ex is a lovely guy ... but so messed up because of his alcoholism - and I don't want to be the same as him but with a food addiction.

((((HUGS))))) FGEyes...hope you wake up refreshed and NOT wanting that feeling again...i can empathise with the choccie thing. I bought a bar of dark organic as a prize (foo as reward again...arghhh....why!) to eat near christmas..Ive vodka'd tonight and chicken nibbled and low :mad: and behold as i reach for another vodka the choc finds itself mushing around in my mouth...am i tasting it..probably not! Im with you hun...and like you I dontreckon Im cured....

k Dieting..do you have a copy of the interesting read?

Wishing you well, hope to see you at Liverpool meet...x

Debbie - this has so upset me - I really had not realised I had such a problem until I read this post and identified with it sooooo much. I always knew not to keep anything I liked in ... and my son always use to say the house was full of diet and vegetarian food - nothing for him to snack on! But now i have identified it - I'm really upset - and scared .... and don't know where to go from here. My ex is a lovely guy ... but so messed up because of his alcoholism - and I don't want to be the same as him but with a food addiction.

I'm so sorry I upset you - I really didn't mean to stir up emotions.

((((HUGS))))) FGEyes...hope you wake up refreshed and NOT wanting that feeling again...i can empathise with the choccie thing. I bought a bar of dark organic as a prize (foo as reward again...arghhh....why!) to eat near christmas..Ive vodka'd tonight and chicken nibbled and low :mad: and behold as i reach for another vodka the choc finds itself mushing around in my mouth...am i tasting it..probably not! Im with you hun...and like you I dontreckon Im cured....

k Dieting..do you have a copy of the interesting read?

Wishing you well, hope to see you at Liverpool meet...x

Thanks - just emailed Karion to ask her same question!
Yes hopefully I can make the Liverpool meet .... will let you know and keep an eye on the thread.

Back