BINGE EATING

This thread has struck Major chords with me. When I'm stressed or feeling inder pressure ( or just plain bored) I have a desparate hunger that will onll be satisfied with Rice Cakes and wine. I will eat and drink til the hunger goes away and i just feel numb. I have no thoughts of enjoyment or pleasure while I eat, in fact I have very little awareness at all. I had some hypno therapy before I started lighter life and was told that what I was feeling was emotional hunger but my mind at some point had hardwired so that I cannot tell the difference between that and real physical hunger. I think I have ignore my body for so long that I just don't know when I'm really hungry any more. The therapist told me that emotional hunger comes on very suddenly and will only be satisfied by certain foods. Whereas physical hunger comes on slowly and can always wait - physical hungers will be satisfied by anything. I have started to recognise the difference between the two and have to ask myself what do I really want.

I went away for the weekend for my Birthday to a lovely cottage full of home-baked shortbread and cakes, bacon and eggs and fresh juice in the fridge, fresh multigrain bread and a bottle of red wine ( with pringles!). I have been ssing for 6 weeks and it was purgatory. I didn't want just a taste , I wanted to gorge. I could imagine just having a little - I am really not safe to be left alone with food - how mad is that? Well in the end I got over the panic - I recognised that I just wanted to reward myself for my Birthday and my Adult piped up that it wouldn't be a reward but sabbotage.

Saved that time but each day is a tight rope waiting to fall hoplessly out of control.

OMG good on you for resisiting and on your birthday too..not that our bods are kinder when we binge just becasue its our birthdays!

I'm afraid Im having to reign myself in daily as at the mo my emotional hunger is high..she says with wine in hand and kebab sitting heavy in tummy and thoughts of chocolate not far from my mind....

this is such a blinkin awful thing...not loving the journey right now..im fighting it constantly...finding a balance although at mo that seems to be SS then binge...not healthy and it seems to have stabilised my weight. so so wanted to be in 10s for christmas...obviously not enough i hear you yell....

Onwards and sideways then eh?

Much love...:eek:

Better onwards and sideways that onwards and outwards!

ONly 12lb to go - how I envy you. You must look fantastic - may be you should go an look in the mirror and smile and say 'Damn it - I look great, I feel great, I am great' and I don't need food to make me feel like this.

We should have 'smile at yourself week ' because once you like what you see so does everyone else. I have another 2 stone to lose but there are some days ( not all by any means) when I can look at myself in the mirror and smile and take a deep breath and just enjoy for moment being me.

I can't wait for the day when I can just smile on the inside and its nothing to do with how much I weigh. I just want to like being me.

You know at my first LL meeting I felt privaledged to be part of a group of such fantastic women. People who have life-long battles to fight are incredibly strong. I can't forget were I have come from but its true these experiences can be used to make us stronger.
Thanks - I think I do look a bit better but I am not going to kid myself that the journey's over. I still think in black and white - incontrol or out of control. I know I need some grey in my life - I'm just not good with grey - maybe I'll go for a raainbow instead.
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...nbow&start=40&ndsp=20&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&sa=N

hope you dont mind me jumping in on this thread but i just had to say hello to u all and say that i feel the exact same and had similar experiences regarding binge eating...its nice to know that you are not alone whensomething like that happens as you do think that it only happens to you...i did foundation on LL and currently doing CD...i thought i had leant alot about myself on LL and why i binge eat and i was so determined that i wouldnt be doing it ever again..i felt like i was cured !! however an emotional crisis cropped up and the first thing i did was to gorge on choc and anything i could get my hands on....i didnt beat myself up over it i just carried on with my packs and was doing ok until the weekend when arguements with my OH & kids being a pain sent me straight to chococlate....instead of dealing with it in an adult state...and also whats with not being able to leave it at one....if there is a packet there then i have a compulsion to finish the packet off.....its going to be bloody hard work now to keep my weight off especially when the internal chatterbox is in overdrive....sorry if im going on but its just nice to share it with others that are so understanding

groovy x

I'm absolutely right there with you groovy.
My dad has advanced bone cancer ... we don't know how much longer he's got and at the moment, I'm swinging terribly between total control with SS one week and binging for England the next. I'm going up and down by half a stone a week: I'm really not in a good place right now.

The best I feel I can do is exercise damage limitation by following a bad week of bingeing with a week of total SS .... but that's hardly ideal (or even healthy). I'm hoping that by January, we'll all be in a clearer position about my dad and Christmas will be out of the way so I can try and stabilise things - at the moment I'm like a violently rocking ship and I'm hating it.

Sorry fellow dieters.....
I am soooooo busy at work I've not had time to pop in & say hello......
Just want you all to know, that none of us are alone with our bingeing, we've identified that we have issues although not all the same we have them. I bought a packet of 4 cherry muffins on Sunday & ate 3 of them!!!! What an idiot - told myself just try not to do it Mon - so far I havent this week.

Big hugs to all of you that responded to this xxxx

I'm absolutely right there with you groovy.
My dad has advanced bone cancer ... we don't know how much longer he's got and at the moment, I'm swinging terribly between total control with SS one week and binging for England the next. I'm going up and down by half a stone a week: I'm really not in a good place right now.

The best I feel I can do is exercise damage limitation by following a bad week of bingeing with a week of total SS .... but that's hardly ideal (or even healthy). I'm hoping that by January, we'll all be in a clearer position about my dad and Christmas will be out of the way so I can try and stabilise things - at the moment I'm like a violently rocking ship and I'm hating it.

Hi Debbie,

Very sorry to hear that your Dad has bone cancer. This is an extremely emotional time for you and as an emotional eater myself my heart goes out to you.

Hugs.

Love Mini xxx

Debbie, so sorry to hear of your Dad's illness. How awfully sad for you all, very hard to cope with at any time, but especially at Christmas. I hope things improve for you soon, feeling bad about food as well as everything else is so hard.

I'm reluctant to out myself as a binger, but I know my biscuit urges are higher than average. I'm trying a new idea, got myself a cheap bag sealer so when I open a packet I separate them into eating modules and seal each into a little bag. So I can eat what I open but not the rest. Hmmm, good in theory, not sure yet if it will work.

Hi Debbie,

Very sorry to hear that your Dad has bone cancer. This is an extremely emotional time for you and as an emotional eater myself my heart goes out to you.

Hugs.

Love Mini xxx

Thanks Mini

xx

My son's school (he is 15) gives all the kids homework diaries - each week has an inspirational quote - very good except that the kids don't appreciate them and I think they use the same ones each academic year!

Anyway this week's is - never let the shadow of a failure block the sunlight of success. Worth keeping in mind perhaps?

I binge on biscuits too - haven't done it since I have been on CD but have big problems with fruit. It's always going to be something.....

Louise

My son's school (he is 15) gives all the kids homework diaries - each week has an inspirational quote - very good except that the kids don't appreciate them and I think they use the same ones each academic year!

Anyway this week's is - never let the shadow of a failure block the sunlight of success. Worth keeping in mind perhaps?

I binge on biscuits too - haven't done it since I have been on CD but have big problems with fruit. It's always going to be something.....

Louise

That's a fab quote Louise!

I have real issues with past 'failures' that I really need to deal with once and for all!

I must write that down and put by my bed.

Dizzy x

Back