Blonde Logic: An Adventure in Management

Blonde Logic

Yes. You can.
Hi peeps

I am going to start this thread, similar to my Stream of Consciousness thread - just so I can record thoughts, experiences, etc., all in one place. Decided not to add to my other thread as I will be discussing food and thought that might be unfair for the other users not yet to this stage.

Today is day 4 of RTM, and it's all going rather well. After day one's upset.

Having gotten so ill after my first meal, I must say I was less then excited to eat on day 2. Considering how long I have waited to eat, it was really something on Day 2 to shudder at the thought of food - but I managed.

Day twos meal did go better then day 1, but was not wonderful. IT was chicken, and I found it a huge effort, all that chewing!! :D

Day three - however - was a day worth waiting for. To be able to have some fresh veg - well, celery and lettuce leaves - but what joy! And lemon juice! I had a Green salad with a little salmon on top, 2 small spoons of cottage cheese and dressing diluted wit lemon juice.

Oh.......it was Nirvana. I told my OH I could happily live on just that every day for the rest of my life!! LOL

I love that the idea of simple food is so nice. I am hoping I have purged my desire for really fussy food - food that requires a lot of prep, seasonings, etc. I just want to get back to basics. At least for awhile. And that's how I felt last night. It felt so good.

I had a real wobble yesterday while soaking in the bath. I started worrying about hos I have transfered my eating habit to a shopping habit. I laugh, but, if I am honest, is is a serious problem - and that needs addressing. BUt the important peice - is I got myself so worked up and stressed out - and thought this would have been an opportunity to go stuff myself in previous times - so I acknowledged that and though, "What a stupid thing to do, that would be,m to go eat - beacuse of THIS?? Waht would that even solve - why did I ever think it would solve anything!!??" Was quite pleased with that.

S0 - we carry on.

It's so wonderful though - every bit, of each new food - each forgotten flavour that dances across my tongue - it all tastes mainly of one thing: success.

There's no sweeter taste. :)

Here's to more adventures ahead!

X

Hi Jan :)

Glad I had a peep at the new posts and found your thread!

Re swapping eating for shopping:) I think it's something everyone goes through and it's not surprising. Just think of all those years of wearing clothes because they cover us up and we can get them in our size. Now we can try on and wear almost anything and there are soooo many styles and colours:D You now can buy clothes because you like them and feel good in them and for no other reason:D:D It feels bloody fantastic far better than eating a choccie bar any day.

I guess the money thing could be a bit of a problem, but then I probably have ate about £25 - £30's worth of sugary, fatty foods pre diet what with all the takeaways I would have:rolleyes::eek: So some new clothes when the mood takes me is n't so bad. Is it:confused::D

Cant wait to read more on how you're getting on.

Tracey
xxx

Hi Mini! Thanks for looking in!! Always nice to 'see' you! :D Thanks for your comments!! If the money being spent were simply onclothes, that might be one thing.... ;) But my euphoria seems to have crossed those boundaries! :rotflmao: - though I shouldn't be :rotflmao: :D

I am feeling a bit more adventurous today, an ddecided to actually think out how I would prepare me tea tonight. So, what fun! I made a little marinade for my swordfish using red chilis, lime juice, garlic, ginger and a bit of soy......paired with a GORGEOUS selection of salad leaves and cabbage and celery!! Yum yum!!!! :D

Last nights salad was the best thing since canned beer I tell you!! SO looking forward to tonights too.

My inlaws asked if I would be sad they were all having a roast dinner. I told her not at all!! I got the better end of the bargain! :D

Feeling good today - finding I am so relieved that the hunger is not really any different then in abstainance....at the moment. Its a relief. Its just going very easily.

Had a coupe of stressful moments the last two days - and on each occassion, the only food-related thught I had was: I don;t even want or need food! phew!! Lets have more of that - a lifetimes worth please!!!

Well, my neck has been really awful the last two days - worst its been in a few months. Started out as mys hip - now my neck is worse. So - gonna go have a hot soak before packing up my bits to cook at the outlaws.

Hope all are well tonight! :)

Hi BL, hope you are ok? Sorry to hear your neck has been bad! Glad to hear that your eating adventure has improved!! I've been toodling along nicely... I think I had too much salad last night!!! but it was lovely and I did leave some of the tuna steak which I felt was a little large!! I did have less salad tonight, cut it up in a cereal bowl (still seemed too much but ah well). Tonight I ate seafood medley with a salad of rocket, lettuce, cabbage, celery and herbs plus a red chilli and a green chilli... it kinda blew my head off!! My lips are still tingling but it was lovely! Got company tomorrow so I think I might have marinaded chicken... looking forward to that!! I haven't wobbled yet!!! Sure I will though!! (Sorry for putting such a big post on YOUR adventure!! still so excited!!)
Hope your weekend is great :D

Hi ladies...sorry if I'm gate-crashing. So glad you're both getting on so well. I have had a great couple of days rainbow trout, salmon and chicken with some herbs for flavour and a salad of rocket and watercress with a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar! Delicious!!! Anyway, will stop writing in your space BL. Hope you have a great weekend xx

Ladies - write on here as much as you like! :)

I would say more, but I am going to bed. HAve had a really reallllly rough night with my neck - worst it has ever been I can barely even swallow its so painful. I have been crying for the last hour - just so tired of hurting. It hurts every day anyway - but this - well, this is beyond torture. I have taken three codeine - and one muscle relaxer - and nothing. No joy whatsoever, I can't raise my head - have to life it off the pillow with my hands. :cry: Oh I am having a right old pity party I am..... but..... owwwwwwwwwww :cry:

This is SO not how I had envisioned myself feeling when I lost all my weight. Just sh*tty timing this whole bloody diagnosis. :cry::cry:

ugh. really feeling pathetic now. lol

nite nite ladies will wrtime more tomorrow.

xx

Hi Bex - thank you. Unfortunately its no better, and slighlty worse. Just taken 2 tramadol. Hope that helps - codeine did nothing for it last night. Guess I should start upping my psylllium to counter the pain meds.

I just feel really rough. :( And my head feels soooo heavy. Wish I could take it off for a while. :(

But thanks hon.

Really sorry to hear that BL... I hope the tramadol do more good... bless you... perhaps the doc can give you something stronger for times like this!!! It's a nightmare!! My Mum suffers from nerve problems in her neck and back and has had surgery once already...I've seen the pain she suffers!! I'm sure there is something they can give you to control the pain better... as a former dispenser... I know there is!! Take care x

Well, the dark cloud that is my neck pain has finally started to lift. A welcome relief.

As a result of being on pain meds all week, I have been constipated all week. This showed up on the scales and I gained nearly two pounds!! lol I knew I was going too be up - I could just feel it in my body. I know its not for eating because I ate very little due to the pain involved when swallowing. But was still a bit dissappointing in that I don't have a true value for what week 1 was all about. But next week should catch me up.

I have discovered Littel Gem lettuce through all of this and I love it. They are like mini romaines. So I have thoroughly been enjoying salad. More then the protein. And today I am so excited because I can have a red bell pepper - which is something I have been longing for for months!! And oh, broccoli and cauliflour....I love all verg raw, so that will not deter me. I am going to play with some yogurt for a dip.

So, all things considered, I am very happy how week one has gone. There was no real hunger pangs which I feared,and smaller portions were more then adequate - again a relief.

Also relieved that while it has been such a hard week physically, not once did I think about having a little extra for a "treat" to make me feel better, etc. Food never entered my thoughts. Very chuffed with that.

Roll on week3 - APPLES - oh my god - I can't WAIT for nect week. FRUIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Cool stuff.

Thanks again for all your sympathy and support these past few days....its really been rough but you all helped me to at least keep smiling. :)

XXX

Hi BL, glad you are starting to feel better... the weight will show next week. I have had a good week but I am struggling with portion sizes... I guess I still have a greedy streak!!! It's something I'm gonna have to deal with!! but at least I recognise that there is a problem!! Enjoy ya day and catch up soon :)

Hi Jan
So sorry to hear you have been poorly. I do hope you are feeling better today.

I got back from 4 days of debauchery at the Oktoberfest in Munich. Or as I call it how to loose 5lbs using beer :eek:.
It was rather wild but alot of fun and good to catchup with many old friends.

I love German food and did have a few naughties.
Back to the normal routine today.

Fibromyalgia

Hi BL,
I just found this on the internet. I was having a look at 5-HTP its time for me to start taking it again as I can feel myself slipping into the misery that is my winter mood (SAD)
Didn't realise they used it to treat fibromyalgia too. Not sure if its something you have tried.

Thanks Tange!

I found this veggie chart to so am posting here so I can find it again:

The Ideal Veggie Schedule
Your Goal: 14 Cups a Week

That might seem like a lot, but it's easier than it sounds. Researchers have divided the entire vegetable spectrum into five "groups" (yes, beans are a veggie!) and broken down your exact weekly needs.

Dark Greens
You need: 2 cups per week
Spinach; broccoli; romaine; mesclun; collard, turnip, and mustard greens

Payoff: Better lung health, stronger bones, a stronger immune system, lower blood pressure, reduced inflammation, and a healthier brain.

Orange Vegetables
You need: 1 1/2 cups per week
Carrots, sweet potatoes, winter squash, pumpkin

Payoff: Better vision, blood sugar control, and lung health; high in cancer-fighting carotenoids.

Beans
You need: 2 1/2 cups per week
Pinto beans, kidney beans, black beans, lentils, edamame, chickpeas, tofu

Payoff: Lower rates of heart disease, high blood pressure, breast and colon cancers, and type 2 diabetes.

Starchy Vegetables
You need: 2 1/2 cups per week
White potatoes, corn, green peas

Payoff: The nutrients in this group range from vitamins A, C, B6, and folate to potassium and magnesium, and each vegetable is rich in unique antioxidants, such as cancer-fighting isoflavones in peas and blood pressure-lowering kukoamines in potatoes.

Wildcard
You need: 5 1/2 cups per week
Artichokes, asparagus, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, eggplant, green beans, mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, wax beans, zucchini

Payoff: This eclectic group ensures a broad spectrum of nutrients and antioxidants that protect every system in your body, including beta-carotene in bell peppers and quercetin, a natural anti-inflammatory, in onions.

And lastly, some recipes showing how to incorporate lots of veg:

Eat Like This!
Here are 14 meals that incorporate all five vegetable groups into a perfect 7-day veggie "schedule." Next to every vegetable, look for its category so you can make substitutions. Once you get the hang of it, adding more vegetables to your meals will be a breeze!

Salmon Spinach Salad
Toss 1 c baby spinach (dark greens) with 1 Tbsp crumbled blue cheese and 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar. Top with 3 oz drained canned wild salmon, 1/2 c pink grapefruit wedges, and 1 Tbsp chopped walnuts. 230 cal, 19 g pro, 16 g carb, 3 g fiber, 10 g fat, 4 g sat fat,* 37 mg chol, 585 mg sodium

Smoky Turkey Sandwich
Spread 1 tsp spicy mustard onto a toasted whole grain English muffin. Fill with 2 oz lean smoked deli turkey and 1/2 c sliced apples. Pair with 1/2 c baby carrots (orange vegetables) and 1/4 c garlic hummus for dipping. 380 cal, 22 g pro, 57 g carb, 8 g fiber, 8 g fat, 1 g sat fat, 20 mg chol, 1,078 mg sodium**

Black Bean Taco Salad
Combine 1/2 c rinsed and drained canned black beans (beans) with 1 Tbsp lime juice, 2 tsp olive oil, and 1 tsp chopped cilantro. Top 1 c torn romaine (dark greens) with beans, 2 Tbsp reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese, and 1/4 c sliced avocado. 292 cal, 12 g pro, 27 g carb, 11 g fiber, 18 g fat, 4 g sat fat,* 10 mg chol, 589 mg sodium

Zesty Roast Beef Wrap
Spread a whole wheat wrap with 2 Tbsp plain fat-free Greek-style yogurt, 1/2 tsp horseradish, and 1 tsp chopped chives. Fill with 2 oz lean roast beef. Serve with 1 c sliced red bell pepper (wildcard) and 1/4 c garlic hummus for dipping. 349 cal, 24 g pro, 39 g carb, 8 g fiber, 11 g fat, 2 g sat fat, 26 mg chol, 880 mg sodium**

Shrimp & Artichoke Salad
Chop 4 lg cooked shrimp and combine with 1 Tbsp mayo, 1 tsp lemon juice, and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Fold in 1 c frozen and thawed quartered artichoke hearts (wildcard). Serve with 4 whole grain lower-sodium crackers. 315 cal, 13 g pro, 30 g carb, 14 g fiber, 17 g fat, 2 g sat fat, 48 mg chol, 296 mg sodium

Chicken Pasta Salad
Slice 1 c grape tomatoes (wildcard). Combine with 1/2 c cooked and chilled whole grain penne, 3 oz chopped grilled chicken breast, 3 sliced fresh basil leaves, and 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil. 395 cal, 31 g pro, 27 g carb, 3 g fiber, 18 g fat, 3 g sat fat, 72 mg chol, 70 mg sodium

Bunless Turkey Burger
Mix 4 oz raw extralean ground turkey with 1/2 c rinsed, drained, and mashed canned kidney beans (beans); 1 Tbsp fresh parsley; 1/4 tsp each onion and garlic powder; and 1/8 tsp chili powder. Form into patty and grill or cook on stovetop. Serve burger on a bed of 1/2 c cooked brown rice. 343 cal, 38 g pro, 44 g carb, 10 g fiber, 3 g fat, 0 g sat fat, 45 mg chol, 509 mg sodium

Cajun Chicken
Grill 3 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast seasoned with a mixture of 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1/4 tsp black pepper, and 1/8 tsp each cayenne pepper and garlic powder. Serve on a bed of 3/4 c corn (starchy vegetables). 316 cal, 24 g pro, 23 g carb, 3 g fiber, 16 g fat, 2 g sat fat, 49 mg chol, 73 mg sodium

Cranberry Edamame Wild Rice Salad
In lg bowl, combine 2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar, 2 tsp olive oil, and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Toss with 1/2 c cooked wild rice, 1/2 c fresh or frozen and thawed shelled edamame (beans), 2 Tbsp fruit juice-sweetened dried cranberries, and 2 Tbsp chopped walnuts. Serve at room temperature. 405 cal, 14 g pro, 41 g carb, 7 g fiber, 22 g fat, 2 g sat fat, 0 mg chol, 34 mg sodium

California Stir-Fry
Combine 2 Tbsp 100% orange juice with 1 Tbsp white vinegar, 1 tsp grated fresh ginger, and 1 tsp soy sauce. Set aside. Saute 1/2 c chopped onions (wildcard) in 1 Tbsp peanut oil until translucent. Add 1/2 c each sliced mushrooms and asparagus pieces (wildcard) with ginger sauce. Continue stir-frying 3 to 5 minutes until crisp-tender. Add 1/4 c mandarin orange sections and 1 Tbsp slivered almonds. Serve with 1/2 c cooked brown rice. 354 cal, 8 g pro, 43 g carb, 6 g fiber, 18 g fat, 3 g sat fat, 0 mg chol, 450 mg sodium

Southwest Chickpea and Tuna Salad
Combine 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp sunflower oil, and 1 tsp minced garlic. Add 1 c rinsed and drained canned low-sodium chickpeas (beans) and 3 oz rinsed and drained chunk light tuna in water. 414 cal, 37 g pro, 48 g carb, 10 g fiber, 7 g fat, 0.5 g sat fat, 53 mg chol, 407 mg sodium

Green Peas Supreme
Toss 1/2 c cooked whole-wheat linguine with 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 2 oz chopped Canadian bacon, and 3/4 c frozen and thawed green peas (starchy vegetables). Sprinkle with 2 Tbsp Parmesan. 425 cal, 24 g pro, 34 g carb, 7 g fiber, 22 g fat, 5 g sat fat,* 36 mg chol, 995 mg sodium**

Stuffed Sweet Potato
Bake or microwave 1 med (6 oz) sweet potato (orange vegetables). Split potato and scoop out inside, leaving skin intact. In small bowl, whip potato with 3 Tbsp 1% milk, 2 Tbsp blue cheese, 2 Tbsp chopped pecans, 1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary (or 1/2 tsp dried), and 1/2 tsp minced garlic. Stuff skin with mixture and serve. 369 cal, 9 g pro, 47 g carb, 7 g fiber, 16 g fat, 4 g sat fat,* 15 mg chol, 315 mg sodium

Prosciutto Dill Potato Salad
Combine 1/4 c fat-free plain yogurt with 1 Tbsp fresh dill and 1 tsp Dijon. Add 1 diced hard-boiled egg, 1 c cooked and cubed red potatoes (starchy vegetables), 1 c cauli-flower (wildcard), and 1 oz prosciutto. 339 cal, 25 g pro, 40 g carb, 5 g fiber, 8 g fat, 3 g sat fat, 234 mg chol, 1,007 mg sodium**

*Strive to limit your saturated fat intake to less than 18 g per day.
**Strive to limit your sodium intake to less than 2,300 mg per day.

Simple Health Boost
Log how many veggies you eat with My Health Trackers at prevention.com/myhealthtrackers.

Thanks LS - will check it out!

Since I started this diet - well - since I was able to watch the cookoing programs without flooding the house with drool - one of the first things I saw was a simplw Fennel salad. I have been longing for one ever since then. Its just shaved fennel, lemon juice, olive oil (which I subst fat free dressing for and added extra lemon) and thyme. (Also calls for parmesean - but thats a naughty naught no-no!!)

So, I walked to town today for some exercise and stopped at the produce shop - bought a bulp of fennel, some fresh ginger and red and green chili peppers.

I just made the salad for alongside tonites Mahi-Mahi - and I had a panic moment and suddenly thought I had imagined we were alowed fennel and I was going to give myself a right bollocking for not paying close enough attention - what if I blindly ate that, and yada yada yada.

SO - just consulted the list. And. erm. We are allowed fennel already!! :D So - I can have it! I have never tasted fennel in my life - just been dying to try it since watching it. So tonites the night!

I have my mahi-mahi and my swordfish for tomorrow marinating in red and green chilis, ginger, garlic, soy, curry and lime juice. Smells sooooo nice.

Its great to be able to have some spices and spicy veg too. :)

I'm a happy girl. :D

Oooh I am jealous of the Mahi-Mahi, I haven't found it again since my first week.
As for the fennel I did the same thing and it was yuck I hope you like it.

I am going for a back to basics dinner tonight baked salmon with loads of cabbage. I cook the cabbage in alittle stock and then when that has evaporated I add some sweet chilli sauce makes it lovely and sweet and sticky delish. I may even have alittle mash with that.
I find myself eating very much like week four these days.

Back