Bluegirls journey to ar*e island

What a great idea! And how exciting that everyone would have shrunk or be near goal by then! Non food or cocktails r all good with me!

Thursday 26th April, then? Kira?

We could plan a modular evening - people can drop in and out as budget and diet dictate.

So - something non food starting at 6-ish, dinner (somewhere 810 friendly) around 7.30, drinks 9.30 or thereabouts? Or drinks then dinner?

We don't have to decide everything now, but we should fix the date, i think.

Yep I can do that date! Woo!! :)

I'll come along :)

I subscribe to the Beck email and thought some of you might not have seen this and find it useful, its a bit wordy but good advice/guidance;

Five Ways to Increase Motivation and Willpower
For many of us, the New Year represents a time to reflect upon and resolve to follow through with healthy changes we want (and often need) to make. In the beginning, keeping up with a new exercise or eating plan, for example, comes easily. Motivation and willpower are high-as evidenced by the increased number of people who flood into gyms the first few weeks of January. But after a few weeks, motivation tends to lag and willpower runs dry, and it's all too easy to revert to our former, less healthy habits. For most us, it's not intuitively obvious what we need to do to uphold our resolutions and reach our goals, but cognitive behavior therapy (a form of psychotherapy that targets maladaptive and unhelpful patterns of thinking and behaviors) can help boost our ability to stay on track and get back on track when we lapse.

While this article uses dieting and healthy eating (and weight loss maintenance) as the major example, the techniques described below can be applied to other goals as well, for example, exercising, sticking to a budget, quitting smoking, and becoming organized. Below you will find a list of essential skills that you need to master in order to maintain motivation and willpower, even when it begins to lag.

In order to increase your motivation and willpower, you'll need to:

1. Develop a reasonable and specific goal and a reasonable plan. One common mistake of dieters is to make resolutions that are too big and general in scope. Having a goal like, "eating healthier," can be daunting because it's not clear where to begin and what it entails. Instead, it's helpful to set smaller, more achievable goals, such as adding in more fruits and vegetables to meals and snacks, or limiting caloric beverages to just one per day. But even if you set a small and achievable goal, it will be hard to actually carry it out unless you have a plan in place. If you decide to add in more fruits and vegetables to your diet, figure out: what fruits and vegetables will you start eating? When will you get to the supermarket to buy them? What meals and snacks will you add them to? Do you have to do any advanced chopping or cooking so they are ready to cook with or eat? It's not enough to just have a goal, you also have to plan the steps necessary to reach that goal.

2. Create a list of reasons why it's important to you to reach your goal, and read this list (even when you don't feel like it) every morning and whenever you're tempted to deviate from your plan. Reading this list will remind you exactly why it's important to you to work on healthy eating and all of the important benefits you will get as a result. A list like this can be helpful because likely in the past, whenever you were tempted to eat something not on your plan, you were probably only thinking about how much you wanted it and how good it would taste, and not thinking about why it would be worth it to you to resist. But now, whenever you are tempted by unplanned food and you have read your list, it will be clear in your mind just why it's worth it to refrain from eating it and what you will receive in return if you do.

Set up a plan to be accountable (to either yourself or to another person or group). Being accountable helps you keep your motivation high because it sends the message that not following through incurs consequences. Being accountable to yourself can sometimes be enough and having a system of nightly journaling, or keeping food diaries, can work. But sometimes it's just too hard to rely completely on yourself to stay motivated, and so being accountable to others can help you stay on track, even when you don't feel like it. There are a number of different ways you can set up systems of accountability, for example: having an agreement to call or email a friend every day or week, arranging regular meetings either in person or online with people who have the same goal as you, or making a commitment through a website that will hold you accountable, like www.stikK.com. Sometimes people have the idea, "It's okay to disappoint myself but it's not okay to disappoint other people," and so if you know someone else is counting on you, it can be easier to follow through.

3. Identify obstacles and problem-solve in advance. You may have had the experience of doing really well sticking to a diet until something happens that throws you off track, like a change in your schedule or a stressful situation at work or at home. When this happens, it can become very difficult to keep working towards your goal because you don't know how to handle the new set of circumstances. This is why it's crucial to identify in advance what type of situations you are likely to encounter and figure out how you will handle them. If, for example, you know that your busy time at work is coming up, then you will need to do some problem-solving for how you will continue to have healthy food available, even though you have less time to shop and cook.

4. Focus on the experiences you deem "worth it." When you're working on the goal of healthy eating and weight loss, there will be times when it feels hard (for example, when you're emotional and want food to calm down or when you're at a party and are tempted by food) and times when it feels really great, like when you start getting compliments, fit into old (smaller-sized) clothes, and realize you can move around a lot better than you used to. During the latter times, it is probably completely clear to you just why healthy eating is worth it and how wonderful the benefits of doing so are. Especially when your motivation lags and dieting feels harder, it is important to focus on the "worth it" experiences to remind yourself that despite the hard work it takes, it is unquestionably worth it to keep working towards your goal. It can also be helpful to actually write down these "worth it" experiences and read them when your motivation lags so that you don't have to rely on your memory to keep you motivated.

5. And finally, decide on how you will reward yourself when you reach sub-goals. When you work hard and accomplish something, you deserve to feel good about yourself and you deserve to reward yourself. Setting up small rewards for yourself along the way can be very helpful because it will give you something to look forward to and another reason to keep moving forward.

Thanks for posting that. Some good points x

Lara1986 said:
Thanks for posting that. Some good points x

Indeed!

Get you non child having ladies able to make early evening cocktails... I wish, but they may not let me smuggle alara in under my maxi coat. The best I could hope for would be a lunch somewhere swish.

Anyhow... I am back from the other dimension. Blooming fooked pardon my French. Been having a funny old time, now topped off by a little slice of father in law liver cancer diagnosis, you know because there just isn't enough going on for me right now! Hence new lifestyle is a deep struggle. Water and getting busy with my hole hoop has been an epic fail.

I'm not going to beat myself up, it is what it is and there is always tomorrow, or 60 seconds from now to change all that if I want to - right?

I have got a funny mathmatical idea. I think that high protein VCLDs make you lose weight at a rate of approximately 10% of your total weight over a healthy range. Let me explain. I needed to lose 50lbs. To behind with I was having weeks of 5pm losses, as the weight shifted I was getting 4, then 3, now as I am only 19lbs over I was struggling with 1 or 2 And that's on SS+ weeks. Now on 810 I am in the Oz zone. This week being 810 with a smidgen of naughtiness I am no lighter today than I was last Friday.

Haha that's hoola hoop bloody auto correct. The previous statement sounded iffy to say the least.

mmn... doesn't work for me. i started at 130lbs over my healthy range. even in my first month my losses never came close to 13lbs a week - or even half that. now i am about 40lb above the top of my healthy range, and my losses are nowhere near as good as 4lb a week.

I should qualify that with "no more than"... The variables in wright loss are too extreme to make exact science out of it, if it was that easy, we would not have an obesity epidemic. Anyway I like making up stupid reasons why I get crap losses. Yes I may not be strict, but in the real world I don't consume more than 810 calories a day, so why am I so special- remember other people did 810 and still maintained good losses!

Last edited:
Just scrolled down (have to go back and read your post on Beck etc Blue).

Yes I'm in for London meet on 26th (subject to no force majeur event including illness of myself, hubsband or children! he! he!)

Hubbie is fine for me to come and meet you all even on his birthday. He's such a darling! (Think he really wants some "him" time on his 50th!) so Spangles modular day sounds perfect though I'd hate to miss anyone of you!

We'll be staying somewhere Central and for three or four night in any event. I can confirm where and when nearer the time.

Nat, your theories for losses sound like my scientific theories but just more mathmatical!

By the way, if you can't do evening of 26 April (I can only do probably and hour maybe two having looked at the times proposed) if you want to come for the day or day before I should be able to meet up with you). See how things are nearer the time.

obviously i'll be working and can't take time off so I can only make an evening thing midweek - though I can probably get into town for about half five, depending on what kind of getaway i can make from work.

hopefully that means I can catch Nat - i'll be gutted if i can't!

would love to attend but will have to see much nearer the time as not local and restricted for holiday this year so would struggle to stay over and come back the next day.

could maybe leave work super early and get the last train back, but have a feeling the last train is at 9.30pm :(

Be great to meet so many of you that have helped me on the road to Overweight. Hope we can sort something out, I agree something modular will suit, I probably could be free the Friday morning if Thursday night is not good.

So what a week. I have been mega busy, running (well trotting if the truth be told) between meetings in London. Late evenings and early starts, and I have to admit to a few skinny lattes along the way. I also have to report a lack of undercarrage activity which I am hoping with either right itself when I am back on my own loo tonight or not make any difference to tomorrows Whale In.

So I get a train home at 18.20 and I have promised a colleague that I will not work on the train, so I have a couple of tv shows on my ipad that I might just watch and drift off into fantasy land. I would like to read some more of my books but I am scared that I will fall asleep if I have to concentrate too much.

Last night I threw my knitting across the room in a football related incident. I think I have rescued it, but I might need to add an embelishment where there shouldnt be one to cover a dirty great by hole of dropped stitches. I really dont think its the craft for me. I can throw my cross stitch at the wall and it doesnt suffer any damage!

Just off to catch up on the lives of you lovely lot now, that should keep me happy till departure time. Much love xx

Wow another week over with! Hurah.

Kay - you and me and this travel time skinny latte vibe. This is my weakness too. I mean what else is there to do in train stations? I dont think it will make as much difference as my muffin today...I mean, why a muffin. I hate the damn things, but again I inhaled it with the pace of a starving lioness, I hardly even noticed I did it, which obviously represents a huge issue.

I will defo see what I can do to meet up, but even then if you are ever in your office - I can always drag you out for a green tea on the rows.

By the way...what exactly do you do? You mentioned media and print - are you NHS promo queen or have you commissioned some kind of glossy report?

Promo queen no, how I wish I was queen of something! I manage the print contract for NHS UK. stuff that's done across the service like prescriptions or MHA forms, supply, design and distribution. It's ok if you're yawning!

I avoided muffins, I'm with you, ey're hack, claggy, but I did salivate at millionaires shortbread. I have to say I don't feel at all bad about skinny lattes. I enjoyed every mouthful. It felt like I was being looked after. I felt normal! Although ordering skinny decaf lattes is a new one on me!

(said in the style of fergie of the black eyed peas)
G.L.A.M.O.R.O.U.S!

Prescriptions you say! Any chance we can make them sunshine yellow or sherbet orange? That puse green is the worst colour to give poorly people! O

Unfortunately not, it's all very carefully chosen for optimum scanning recognition. And any who green is my very favourite colour!

Dental scripts are yellow! orange isn't pastel enough to drop out in processing.

Don't get me on this subject Nat I could bore myself let alone you! Although I am glad you didn't ask for some blanks for those pep pills your after lol xxxx

Back