BMI - a question

Mrs Lard

Silver Member
I've got a two minute window of opportunity - the only internet time allowed today!

A very quick question - am I right in thinking that BMI is NOT an indication of your fat levels?

I visited a fellow LighterLifer today and she had scales that measure your fat level (can't think of the right word, sorry) and then she said but it's the same as your BMI.

I didn't think it was. Please help.

Feel very thick/silly!

Thanks so much and hope everyone is having a calm/happy weekend!

Mrs Lxxxxxxxxxx

am I right in thinking that BMI is NOT an indication of your fat levels?

yes you're right. You can have a high BMI and a very lean body. Fat levels are more accurage, but there again, scales that measure fat levels are often inaccurate. Calipers are better :)

BMI is the body mass index and is a formula based on weight and height. Not fat! Using BMI elite sportspeople are almost always obese - the entire All Blacks would be considered obese. I read once on the BBC that George Clooney and Matt Damon would both be either overweight or obese! Clearly absurd!

In fact, the one thing BMI is not at all good at measuring is fat.

I jump on the pay scales at the gym once a fortnight for a full reading. My BMI is 36 and my fat percentage is 41% - so very different! The gym scales also tell me I am carrying 40kg of fat mass... Not sure I wanted to know that.

I also bought from the Lloyds Pharmacy a hand held fat analyser and the results from that were similar so seemed accurate. It was only £5!

Hiya

Just to say that the cheap home scales are really bad at measuring body fat %.

I had a set of weight watchers ones which were 50 quid and if I got off and back on it would give a reading that was 10% different, and hence didn't mean anything.

For customers now I have a set of Omrom hand held fat monitor and they seem more accurate (at least they give the same result each time) and if nothing else show whether it is going up or down.

Mike

I have the LLOyds hand held monito, too. (I think it was about a fiver.) It seems fairlyconsistent, although the BMI figure is always fractionally different to that calculated by my LLC.

At the moment , and on the weight as detailed on my ticker, my BMI says 30.7 and the fat percentage is 43.1. Ihave no idea wha that means or what it is telling me though!!

What is a normal or healthy body fat percentage?

Hi everyone

Thanks for answering; Sez - I think you should post that question separately because I would LOVE to know the answer:

Take care.

Mrs Lxxxxx

Hi everyone

Thanks for answering; Sez - I think you should post that question separately because I would LOVE to know the answer:

Take care.

Mrs Lxxxxx

Will do! Looked it up on the great WWW, but still not really clear on the healthy levels! (I am a bit thick sometimes, LOL!!)

Handy eh :)

I prefer the fat measurements. When I just got into the healthy fat range, I was still too high a BMI to be a CDC:eek: Even though Drs and all were telling me to stop dieting. Annoyed the h*** out of me.

Women are so jammy!!

You can be 33% and still healthy whereas I have to be 19%

So not fair... (walks out slamming the door loudly and firmly behind me and making a psssk noise)

Thanks Karion! I am still worried that at my BMI 24, which I am aiming for my body fat will still be in the overfat range! We'll just wait & see!

Mike, that tsssk noise is uttered often in my LL group when discussing how flippin' fast you guys lose the weight in the first place, compared to us mere females!

LOL!!

xx

lol mine was more of a psssk noise which is slightly more annoted than a tsssk noise :)

Mike

Women are so jammy!!

You can be 33% and still healthy whereas I have to be 19%

Yeah, but you can eat more to get to that 19%

So not fair... (walks out slamming the door loudly and firmly behind me and making a psssk noise) aswell :D

(Meeting you outside)

Oh hiya Karion!! What you doing out here in the cold?

Back