BMI

Sajane

Hi

New to the forum and i've notice a few people have BMI counters.
Ok my opinions and thought on BMI
I think its total tosh!

As a qualified fitness instructor (albeit a bit podgy at the mo) i can see how it DOESN'T work...
As you all know BMI = Height x weight, so if your carrying a lot more lean weight (muscle) compared to fat weight (adipose/fat) your BMI will be increased!:confused::confused::confused: huh!! See where i'm coming from?

I will be measuring my body fat by the calipers method (4 point) this gives a much better and acurate reading of your health and how much fat your actually carrying.
I for one, go to the gym and do a fair amount of weights, so i will always be a bit heavier that someone who is similar in build but doesn't do weights.

Anyone else like to discuss this?

I agree with you regarding BMI, but it is a useful guide, when you are 5 plus stone overweight as I was you need some sort of guide to aim for, you can readjust as necessary.

I agree with you to an extent. im only a little over weight according to bmi (25.8) but in reality i definitely look overweight because I haven't done any physical excercise since i left school and any excess weight on my body is fat. It also doesn't take into account the fact that im not big boned and that most my weight is fat. so really I am 2 stone overweight.

That said I do agree it is a way for very overweight people to observe their weight loss.

I agree with you regarding BMI, but it is a useful guide, when you are 5 plus stone overweight as I was you need some sort of guide to aim for, you can readjust as necessary.

WOW you look fantastic!!

Yes i do agree, maybe those who are purely dieting and not exercising its works (hope that didn't come out wrong!)

I agree with you totally, the BMI cannot be used as the sole guide to how much you should weigh.

I particularly like this diagram, sums it all up really!
bmi-comparison.gif

I remember reading a story in the paper about an sports person (think he was a cricket player) who had less than 5% body fat (dangerously low!) and had a lot of muscle, and despite looking like that cartoon above on the left, his BMI made him morbidly obese?!?!?!

So yeah, BMI isn't the be-all and end-all. BUT it can help give you a guide. Unless you become a professional bodybuilder, no-one is going to be 17stone as they are carrying around 4+ stone of muscle :8855:

But I heartilly accept that just because a person is 6ft tall, doesn't mean he should be 12 stone (and I am a prime example of that!) as there is no way I am ever going to be what the BMI says I should be; I'd look, and probably be, very ill if I weighed that little with my natural build!

I agree BMI isn't a terribly reliable calculation, as it doesn't take into account muscle mass and build. However, it gives me a rough guide as to what weight I should be.

Forgot to say, I like your diagram.

For me, a person who has been overweight her entire life, BMI is a general indication about what a person my height should ideally weigh.
BMI is just a general indication of an ideal, a rough guide, it's not the be all and end all. I think most people know this.

As you all know BMI = Height x weight, so if your carrying a lot more lean weight (muscle) compared to fat weight (adipose/fat) your BMI will be increased!:confused::confused::confused: huh!! See where i'm coming from?

very strong opinion there! :eek:

its a calculation for average people...it is to be used as an indication for the average person:hmm:...the average person does not carry 4stone of muscle..?

if your in the fitness industry then you will know there are alternative ways of measuring body fat/water/muscle mass.

Sorry if i caused any offence, maybe i should've thought about what i was going to type before typing.
I can get quite passionate sometimes!
Sorry :booboo:

I dont think you need to apologise the general consensus is we agree with you.

The weight loss tickers that most people use automatically calculate BMI if you enter your height details. I think this is why so many people have their BMI details on view and not because they are using BMI to monitor their weight.

I will go by dress size. When I can comfortably get into a 12/14 from the majority of hight street shops I will be happy.

I think!

Jac

I agree that BMI is a crock. Not in general terms, but it takes no individual factors into account. Mine is generally in the OK range or just above but you only need to look at me to see that I am carrying far too much body fat and should be at least 20lb lighter than I am.

I'm just looking at it as another 'boost' on my ticker as it goes down! I'm interested in going down clothes sizes and feeling fitter and stronger, that'll do me!

I think its total tosh!

I sort of agree Barb, but it is only a general indicator isn't it. I'm 6'1 and have a 48" chest, I'm very big shoulder'd from my Rugby and Army days, a lad who works for me is the same height and weight but is pretty skinny so go figure, we are all different. ;)

Hi

New to the forum and i've notice a few people have BMI counters.
Ok my opinions and thought on BMI
I think its total tosh!

As a qualified fitness instructor (albeit a bit podgy at the mo) i can see how it DOESN'T work...

I will be measuring my body fat by the calipers method (4 point) this gives a much better and acurate reading of your health and how much fat your actually carrying.
I for one, go to the gym and do a fair amount of weights, so i will always be a bit heavier that someone who is similar in build but doesn't do weights.

Anyone else like to discuss this?

I fully agree with you, as I know I have always been more muscley than average and that distorts the BMI and also the weight to size issue...I weigh heavier than a lot of people who fit in the same size clothes and are the same height simply because I have more lean mass...

The BMI is okay up to the point where you are within a healthy weight range and maybe just beyond it...it is okay for obese people as they cannot calculate body fat with calipers, they have to do body measurements with tape measures, etc...so it works to a point and then should be disregarded...I haven't gone by BMI for years, just body fat percentage...which is (and has been for about 6 months now)in the excellent range for my age woo hoo!

Last edited:
I'm just looking at it as another 'boost' on my ticker as it goes down! I'm interested in going down clothes sizes and feeling fitter and stronger, that'll do me!

Absolutely!

And I love the thread, been saying this for years.

It is not in the least a correct representation of either one's health or looks. Point in hand, I don't look even remotely my weight, I look curvy when I'm morbidly obese and have done even at BMI 50!

However, many avenues of life will be having cut off points at lower BMIs (in my case being accepted for IVF treatment:cry: but some types of jobs, some types of education, etc) hence until the public perception sways towards the more accurate methods, such as the weight/hips ratio or the body fat ratio, we have to keep it in mind.

BMI is better for women than it is for men,my mate is 6ft 4 and 13 stone and his BMI is classed as perfect,I am 6ft 4 and 16 stone 5lb and my BMI is classed as obese.

However i can see my ribs.....

Im heavy built with a biggish chest and arms,so how can BMI different a 6ft,4 stocky person between a 6ft,4 skinny person.

Wheras most women dont go for the muscley stocky frame so the BMI is more accurate.

However, many avenues of life will be having cut off points at lower BMIs (in my case being accepted for IVF treatment:cry: but some types of jobs, some types of education, etc)

This (the job thing) is one of the reasons I want to ensure my BMI falls within the normal limits. I want to join the RAF as a nursing officer in the not too distant future (somewhere between 2-5 years time). I know to do this I have to be fit and healthy and have a BMI in the normal range.

My fiance is the perfect example of this - 6ft 6ins and is classed as bordering on obese - yet he doesn't have an ounce of fat on his body, but plays footie 3x a week and is very fit and healthy. Point made! BMI is good for a guide but other tests are better and you can tell just by looking at yourself if you need to lose weight!!

xxx

Wheras most women dont go for the muscley stocky frame so the BMI is more accurate.

where you get that from?? lol :giggle:

like i say.....my BMI tells me that i am obese :whistle:...i aint.

but its a good indication :) IMO

I think it should give 3 sets of BMI ...Skinny,Medium,Large builds then work from that.

My ideal weight according to BMI is around 13 stone,now if you saw my pictures you would know i would be beyond anorexic at 13 stone!

My Gym however says the ideal weight for somebody of my height and build is 15 stone 7lbs.

Back