BNS Chips

Frumpy Mummy

How do you get these nice and crispy? Mine were a bit mushy. I put them in microwave for a few mins then in hot oven with Fry Light for about 45 mins till they were going black on outside but inside was still bit mushy x

I leave the skin on, they remain firmer.

I just chop into this chips, spray with fry light and sprinkle with paprika, Cajun, garlic salt or whatever really and bake for 20 mins on 200 in the oven. Love them!

Morning..
When i do mine i always peel off the skin,cut into thickish chips,spray them with olive oil using sprayer and turn them quite a few times during cooking .. mine always look very dark on the outside and arent soggy they sort of caramelise they taste divine...the trick is not to cut them tooooo thick or they just stay soft and take an age to cook...celeriac is nice as chips too and also nil points :D

Good luck....

Morning..
When i do mine i always peel off the skin,cut into thickish chips,spray them with olive oil using sprayer and turn them quite a few times during cooking .. mine always look very dark on the outside and arent soggy they sort of caramelise they taste divine...the trick is not to cut them tooooo thick or they just stay soft and take an age to cook...celeriac is nice as chips too and also nil points :D

Good luck....

Ooh yours sound yummy to, I think I need to cut them better next time cause some were too thick and some too thin that just shrivelled to nothing! Thanks for tips :)

Butternut squash and sweet potato chips are difficult to crisp up! If you're prepared to spend a point, tossing the raw chips in a little polenta (1pp per 15g, and that amount would be plenty for a portion) before you roast them, it gives a lovely crunchy finish.

Butternut squash and sweet potato chips are difficult to crisp up! If you're prepared to spend a point, tossing the raw chips in a little polenta (1pp per 15g, and that amount would be plenty for a portion) before you roast them, it gives a lovely crunchy finish.

Thanks for that tip but what is Polenta? lol :)

Polenta is also known as cornmeal. It's kind of like a coarse, flour/grain type thing - Italian, I think. You can get it in any supermarket and it's cheap as chips too. It's a pale yellow colour and feels quite gritty.

I've tried to cook polenta before, but I jus can't get it to cook!! I must be doing it wrong... How would I coat the bns in polenta? Am I being thick, but the stuff i've got is like soggy cheese, same colour (as cheddar), similar consistency....

Ah, if it looks like cheese then you've bought the ready cooked stuff in a packet. Polenta is usually sold dried in packets, is yellow and looks coarser than flour but finer than cous cous - in supermarkets it's usually on the same aisle as pasta.

Hope this helps!

Ah hah... Thnx 4 info. Wil av a look next shop :) x

Back