Boggins is losing it

There's a new ticker in my sig. It's the not weighing myself ticker.

I failed last time to not weigh myself for 2 weeks, I caved on day 9. Well, I'm going to exercise my newfound willpower and I WILL NOT WEIGH MYSELF until Thursday 15 September.

This might sound odd, given that I'm losing weight, but I just torture myself with the stupid scales. I was 2lbs down last week (weighed myself at 5 days and 7 days- had lost 2lbs by 7th day) and, although that's what I'm aiming for, I was unhappy.

Crazy.

So I'm not weighing again for a fortnight. I'm in the September Challenge but won't be updating until then.

OK. I can do this. Pounds and ounces are but one part of the picture, not the be all and end all. I'm eating right and exercising. Forget the scale for a fortnight and live. OK. Go.

I know a few people who leave weigh ind for several weeks at a time. I'm lucky because I'm not a serial weigher (just the odd sneak peek), but I can see how it can take over your life.

Hope it works out fro you hun :)

I've been very quiet recently, mainly as I've been spending far too much time researching weight loss and diabetes and insulin and carbohydrate. Diabetes runs in my family- my father and his mother had it, which puts me at a moderately high risk, made higher by being obese.

Anyway, the long and short of it is that my diet has morphed somewhat into a lower carb diet (but not super, Atkins-like low) with a sharp eye on the calories. I spent a while unable to get my head around eating more fat, it felt so wrong. After a lot of discussion with the OH, I decided to try it for 5 days, and if I felt ok and still lost weight I'd keep doing it. Well, I did feel ok and I did keep losing.

And then my birthday happened. Specifically, a box of twelve extremely expensive chocolates and a packet of fruit flavour Jelly Bellies happened. It started off ok, I just had two chocolates. I think a combination of time of the month plus the first real taste of sugar I'd had in a while was just too much! I just binged the lot over one evening! Thankfully I'm not really one to beat myself up, in fact I think it's hilarious. OH said he thought I was unusually quiet- he didn't realise I was troughing! :8855:

Well, I guess the lesson is that there is no "moderation" for me and sugar. If I have it, I want more of it and will keep eating it to frightening extremes. So out goes the sugar- or at least, the added sugar and the known sugary things. I'm still eating fruit, just not so much and not the high sugar kinds.

Two other things have happened which are quite significant. Firstly if you have a look over to the left there on my profile you'll see that (depending on how tall I am- it ranges from 5'7.7 to 5'7.3 depending who's measuring) my BMI is now under 40. In other words, I am no longer "clinically" or "morbidly" obese, just obese. Hurrah! :D

Secondly, I've had to give up being vegetarian. I just couldn't lower the carbs without adding in meat. Some veggies manage it, I just couldn't. I'm not eating a lot of meat, and I've not been very adventurous so far- it's just been various versions of bacon, and fish. Ironically, my plate has more vegetables on it than ever before! Dinner is piled high with broccoli, cauli, green beans, red peppers....it's yum.

I'm averaging about 1300 cals a day, keeping carbs between 50 - 90g, and taking each day as it comes.

Hope you're all doing well.

Yeah, I read somewhere on this forum actually about a few people eating low carb to help the diabetes.

That is amazing! It feels so good to go down in BMI, doesn't it? Well done you!

Also, I am the same with sweets. Especially in them big "sharing" bags. I don't like to share lol.

I'm in the keeping carbs under control camp as well. I do a mixture of controlled carbs, calorie counting and low GI, I also tend never to eat fruit on its own but have it with a cheese triangle or a few plain nuts just to slow down the sugar hit in the fruit.

My fave book on this subject is The Schwarzbein Principle. Reading it was a little like having all the pieces to finish off a jigsaw puzzle, everything just slotted into place and made so much sense.

Getting rid of the guilt over eating fat can be a bit strange but you get used to it. I also do things like use half the amount of mince in a recipe and use mushrooms or lentils to make up the quantity. Or use grated parmesan instead of breadcrumbs to coat fish. Parmesan crisps are good too if you want a crunchy snack. Bit heavy on the cals tho.

Have a good week.

The food doctor diet book has some good ideas for low ish carbs and low gi, sensible food combining too, not too faddy. Must go and refresh my memory.

So sorry I haven't been around much. I've been neglecting Minimins. Will go and catch up on people's diaries now.

Big news! After a TOTM stay-the-same last week, and just one pound off the week before, my body went into overdrive this week. 7lbs gone! I was expecting a bit of a "catch-up" loss, but wow!

Unbelievably, I've hit two minigoals in one. 1. I've lost 50lbs since joining Minimins, and 2. I am now just over halfway to my weightloss goal (which is only to get me out of "obese" and into the "overweight" BMI category, by the way, not to make me a size 8!).

So, a good day today, which is what I needed after a mare of a period and no weightloss last week. It all balances out in the end. Right, Dr Boggins is off to do her rounds of other people's diaries. I hope you're all doing well, and if you're not, I hope my success this week will inspire you to KEEP GOING! :)

Well done! :D That's brilliant!

I just wanted to say that yesterday...or was it Friday...this dieting lark is damaging my brain, I swear...anyway...I ate a whole load of CHOCOLATE. You know how it is, you plan to have a little bit and then it turns into a little bit more.

I know that we all struggle with staying "on track", and personally I'm just so neurotic about these things I tend to worry about everything I eat, "legal" or not. So why is it that when I do have a slip up, I just find it funny? Sure, I'm annoyed with myself, but mainly I just want to laugh.

Well I paid for it today, going out jogging in the cold to burn it off. I don't like jogging on weekends because the park is full of superfit rugby and football teams and I feel like a big jelly wobbling past.

Oh yeah, and I got diagnosed with mild asthma last week! I noticed I was finding it hard to breathe after running now it's got colder, so I went to the doc. I now have 2 inhalers, and my OH has been banished from the house when smoking, which is, I have to say, WONDERFUL. It's lovely to live in a smoke-free home. He's cutting down, too, and I hope one day will give the horrible things up forever. The inhalers make such a difference when I'm running now. It's only slight asthma, but the feeling of...I don't know, fullness? in the lungs is unpleasant. I describe it as like trying to breathe through treacle. Nice to have that dealt with.

There we are then, chocolate, asthma and smoke-free house. Didn't lose any weight last week (TOTM AGAIN, why can't it be every 2 months??) so hoping for something tomorrow...wish me luck!

Hmmm. Weighed in at Boots this morning. Their machine broke about a month ago and has just been fixed. Apparently, since the last time I used it a month ago, I've gained 2 pounds and grown an inch taller. I find this hard to believe!

I'll see what the swimming pool scales say later.

Definitley try some other scales hun. The fact that you have grown an inch is very suspicious, perhaps they are still faulty.

Don't worry about the chocolate. We all have days like that. I know it's easier said than done, but you need to draw a line under it. It's in the past and can't be changed. Just focus on being angelic for the rest of the week now.

I'm so pleased you have an inhaler now and it makes exercising that bit easier. There will be no stopping you now. xxx

Actually Boggins when you lose weight it is possible to get taller as the weight compresses the spine, so when you lose the spine starts to lengthen again. Admittedly an inch is a month is a bit impressive though.

We all deserve a bit of chocolate once in a while. I look upon it as making progress knowing I can eat it sometimes and not fall back into it become a daily habit.

I didn't know that! Maybe I am taller. Damn! I don't like it, I hate towering over people when I wear heels. I live in Wales, you know, the men are....um...not renowned for their height, shall we say!

I went to the other Boots I'd been using previously and that one matched what my home scales say (still said I was 5'8", when previously I've been just under), so I'm going with that reading. Means I have to get a bus into town to weigh myself, but at least that curbs my compulsive weighing.

Can I get an amen from the scale obsessives?
I really really want to not care. I would love to just carry on eating well, exercising, and not caring what the stupid scale says. Be all like "Oh, I lost 2 pounds? There you go then," when what I'm really like is..

"I'm stalling, I bet I'm stalling. I know it, this is when it's going to all go wrong. I shouldn't have had that Mini Babybel. What if I never lose another pound? If I haven't lost 3lbs I'll know it's all going to pot."

My mind is constantly thinking a month, two months ahead. What weight will I be, what size will I be?

I have two settings: don't care and abnormally fixated. I'd like to be somewhere in the middle, around "Engaged and interested but measured and sensible". This is not in my programming, unfortunately.

Please tell me I'm not the only one?

Totally with you there. I really think I become too fixated when I have a goal, especially with this weight loss. I just changed my goal to lose 1lb a week instead of 1.5 cos I felt I needed more calories. Was getting so hungry that I'd pig out and end up doing so much more damage than if I'd just had a few more cals and had an extra thing! But it is so hard to tell my head I am allowed to eat these extra calories and am okay with a smaller weight loss from now on even if it will take longer to get to maintenance! I'm a bit mental :)

I'm with you too Boggins. What you just wrote sounds like what goes on in my head constantly. xxx

See I'm not the only nutty one on here after all lol.

Actually I have a different obsession. If I set a weekly goal then the eating goes out of the window. But I'm perfectly OK as long as I'm hopping on/off the scales every day watching them fluctuate up/down.

What I really hate is the body feeling a lot flatter/smaller and yet the scales go up and up.

Is it any wonder we're all completely mad??

Back