Boring dinner, can you help

evilpenguin

Not evil at all
Tonight we are having pork chops with mashed potato for dinner, how boring is that. What would you do to make it more exciting?

I'm thinking of roasting some red peppers and mixing them into the mash, will that be nice? Not sure how to get 1/3 superfree into it either, what veg would go nice with it?

Help! thanks! :D hehe

I don't know if you like things spicy, and its not something I've tried myself yet. But yesterday I bought a packet of mixed chillies at Asda, I just happened to look on the packet as I was putting it in the fridge and it said "good chopped up in salads, pasta and mashed potato"
I would never have thought of that, but I might try it now.
Also I like mash with chopped spring onions and savoy cabbage in, I think its called colcannon or something.

To give the chops a bit more flavour you could put some mustard on the top of the chops and then put HEA cheese on the top and put them under the grill for the last 5 mins of cooking. To tie it together you could then add a small amount of mustard powder (Free) into the mash which could tie the flavours together? x x

Some great ideas folks, going to go with the mustard theme I reckon! Going to see what veggies I can pick up at the shops and serve it with roasted veg :)

oooh, to go with the mustard you could do honey roasted potatoes... get some new pots, cut them into 1/4 and then put them in an oven tray, spray with fry light, salt and pepper and then pour some honey over the top..think it is 3syns for a level tbspoon (might have to check)... pour it over and coat them all and just put them in the oven and just roast them. They are lovely and i think will go really nicely with the mustard x x

I don't have any mustard powder but will pick some up tonight. I don't mind synning it if I have to, I always see syns for things like sauces + dressings as "good syns" anyway because it's mixed with something free, rather than say x amont of syns for chocolate on its own, daft I know but that's just me lol

Stacie you are a genius! My bf is actually drooling at the thought of our dinner tonight as opposed to the moaning he was doing earlier about it being boring!

yeh, i would personnally use jar mustard, just my take on it really lol x x

yeh, i would personnally use jar mustard, just my take on it really lol x x

I do try! lol.. just a hint, don't use too much honey, just enough to coat them thinly otherwise when they are roasted they can be too over powering! seasoning them is also the key. I do my potatoes like that when we are having lamb but I cover them with some dried mint and seasoning and put them in the oven just to add to the flavour. x x

Roasted wedges of red onion, butternut squash and apple (small amount of syns as cooked fruit isn't free- 2.5 syns per apple) sprayed with fry-light and sprinkled with thyme and/or sage

Or crushed peas and garlic: Boil some frozen garden peas with a whole peeled clove of garlic for 8 minutes. drain and put peas and garlic in a food processor with a tablespoon or so of 0% greek yogurt, a teaspoon of mint sauce and salt and pepper- blitz for a bit and get the tastiest goddamn mushy peas you will have ever tasted (all free on green/EE)

Mmm it all sounds so good! I'm starving!!

cp might try your mushy peas with another dish, think it would go well with a chicken dish?

Mmm it all sounds so good! I'm starving!!

cp might try your mushy peas with another dish, think it would go well with a chicken dish?
Mate- it goes with anything- is really good with salmon (or any kind of fish) too. I have been known to make it and just eat a bowlful on it's own!

xxx

For my pork chops i season with 1 tsp tomato puree (syn), mustard and garlic, then cook and near the end add cheese if i have a hex left over - amazing!!! Might have to have it tonight actually!!

My bf used to do a dijon mustard and balsamic vinegar dressing for our pork chops but we waved goodbye to it when we started SW - you lot are genius and have created what I hope will be an amazing dinner for us tonight! I will let you all know how it goes :D

My bf used to do a dijon mustard and balsamic vinegar dressing for our pork chops but we waved goodbye to it when we started SW - you lot are genius and have created what I hope will be an amazing dinner for us tonight! I will let you all know how it goes :D
Let us know?????...... I thought we would be invited!!!!:mad:

lol

I cook my mash in chicken stock, gives them a nice flavour.

I had pork chops last week, cooked in a mustard and honey glaze, which was yummy.

Back