Bought a butternut squash - what the heck do I do with it?

JestersTear

Silver Member
Butternut squashes are reduced in Asda from 98p to 50p, so I thought I'd buy one.
Now it's sitting in the kitchen and I have no idea what to do with it - any ideas please?

Or put it in the oven just as it is and chop it up after you've roasted it - when it's easier to cut.

Yum - I want one. With butter...and black pepper

Ok, JT, this is what I do. Use a very sturdy knife and cut it lenghtways and scoop out the seeds. Put both boat shapes on a baking sheet and spray the bnsquash top with frighlight. Place in moderate oven for 30 mins take out of oven and add some chopped mushroom, onion, peppers and garlic into the bit where you scooped out the seeds, top with 1 slice of nimble made into breadcrumbs (2 1/2 syns)and top with an ounce of grated cheese (healthy a), any but I like parmesan.Stick it back in the oven for around 20-30 mins. This easily serves 4 for just 2 1/2 syns and a healthy a and is super duper with a salad and jacket on green.

Or- follow any SW recipe for chicken curry, but substitute the chicken for chunks of peeled butternut squash. The curry will be tasty AND free on green day so you can have it with rice.

I also use sqush as a potato substitue on red days as is it is superfree. Basically treat it like a potato and boil, mash, roast with frylight, chip. You can then have it with meat or fish for free on red days.
x

I used to have these a lot when I did ww for a while. Peel it, de-seed it and chop it into chip shapes, then roast them in the oven with a bit of frylight. No parboiling, its very soft like marrow when cooked. I think it takes about 20 minutes. it's a great substitute for potatoes on a red day with a roast dinner or something.

I make soup with chicken bovril ,chillis and onion, zush it all up and put some VLF fromage frais in at the last gasp and whizzit up again. Or if I'm wanting more creaminess then I'll use LF creme fraiche and syn it.
If you want to peel it then the y shaped potato peelers are good.

Chop it into chunks (don't bother peeling it) roast it in the oven with frylight, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, garlic and chilli - cook for about 30 mins then either use it as it is or make it into risotto or soup.

I love butternut squash but OH doesn't, I miss it!!!

Back